Beer Thread

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
With the closure of the old Best Beer thread, I thought I'd start a new one here (where it belongs). Just picked up a four pack from this small local brewer in Massachusetts, but not this beer. Sharing this because I thought @August_West and the other Dylan fans on the board would approve.

140749562_2613074652150471_4950760472223076646_o.jpg

Dove

Reggae is Life
My sister in law just went to visit friends near Boston. She send me a text to put in a TH order because they were stopping there. I had only had three cans of TH previously.

Very Gggreennn was an amazing, juicy af brewski.
Space and Time is an excellent chocolaty stout.
Hold On To Sunshine is an incredibly loaded peanut butter chocolate stout.

Dove

Reggae is Life
Meanwhile, back in CT... Alvarium just canned an IIPA called Citrus Sap. One of the best CT brews I have have ever tasted and I knew it 4 sips in on a draft I had at [chow] Saturday night.

HuskyHawk

havent got used to that history search option yet

Ah well, even without it, everybody in the area who likes beer knows about Treehouse. Just fantastic beers. I only have two left from my last trip. Fortunately for CT folks, it's a lot closer to Sturbridge than it is to Boston. Reasonable drive from UConn.

Ah well, even without it, everybody in the area who likes beer knows about Treehouse. Just fantastic beers. I only have two left from my last trip. Fortunately for CT folks, it's a lot closer to Sturbridge than it is to Boston. Reasonable drive from UConn.

What would you recommend if I end up making it up there?

HuskyHawk

What would you recommend if I end up making it up there?

Depends on what you like. They sell mixed cases that constantly change. They have now added a few four packs. That's important because some of the all IPA/DIPA mixed cases are amazing, but then you get no stouts or brown ales or anything like that. So you can supplement with a 4 pack.

Or if you get a mixed case with multiple kinds of beer, you can grab Julius, Super Treat, Force of Will or Very Green four packs. Damn they have great stuff right now.
Shop Beer Pick-Up! — Tree House Brewing Company

Depends on what you like. They sell mixed cases that constantly change. They have now added a few four packs. That's important because some of the all IPA/DIPA mixed cases are amazing, but then you get no stouts or brown ales or anything like that. So you can supplement with a 4 pack.

Or if you get a mixed case with multiple kinds of beer, you can grab Julius, Super Treat, Force of Will or Very Green four packs. Damn they have great stuff right now.
Shop Beer Pick-Up! — Tree House Brewing Company
Yeah I hate the mixed case thing that they have been doing since COVID started. Can't wait until they open back up entirely and you can buy how many of whatever you want (within in the mx limits they set, of course).

With the closure of the old Best Beer thread, I thought I'd start a new one here (where it belongs). Just picked up a four pack from this small local brewer in Massachusetts, but not this beer. Sharing this because I thought @August_West and the other Dylan fans on the board would approve.

View attachment 63819
Cold Harbor is close to my house. They make pretty good beer. Not exceptional like Tree House and Trillium, but better than any of the others within 15 minutes of my house (of which there are like 8 breweries).

Try their Juice Freak. One of their best.

HuskyHawk

Cold Harbor is close to my house. They make pretty good beer. Not exceptional like Tree House and Trillium, but better than any of the others within 15 minutes of my house (of which there are like 8 breweries).

Try their Juice Freak. One of their best.

I bought Juice Freak and like it. I also bought the Subterranean Homesick Brew. I like it a little better than Juice Freak. Lately, when I go to the store it's just overwhelming how many IPAs and DIPAs are in the cooler. My thought was, I want Cold Harbor to survive Covid lockdowns, so I'll buy their beers. I am confident that bigger places like Jacks Abby will be fine.

IMG_7247 (2).JPG

I'm liking the Citranade at Paddle Creek Brewing in East Hartford. I stop and get a 4-pack if I'm in the area.

HuskyHawk

Broke my beer fast light night before the game. Speed Mettle from Trillium is superb stuff. One of their best new DIPAs in some time. Max Legroom is good too. Had Lizard King from Pipeworks (Chicago) and was reminded of IPAs from 10 years ago. Not bad, but I really can't go back from the New England style to the old bitter and heavy malt style.

IMG_7176 (2).JPG

anyone have anything from Maine Beer Company? Feel like their distribution has come into the NYC area so i see a lot of their beers in the store.

Curiouser
anyone have anything from Maine Beer Company? Feel like their distribution has come into the NYC area so i see a lot of their beers in the store.
When I drank beer, I enjoyed theirs very much. Every one I had was very good to excellent; most were IPAs of some sort but they also do some interesting stouts and porters.

Lunch and Dinner were the most sought-after then, with Dinner only being served at the brewery for a time. I think that has changed since. I also really liked Another One and A Tiny Beautiful Something. They all tasted “soft” to me in a good way, like it was something in the water (or maybe something not in the water).

Zoe, MO and Peeper are others I remember enjoying.

HuskyHawk

When I drank beer, I enjoyed theirs very much. Every one I had was very good to excellent; most were IPAs of some sort but they also do some interesting stouts and porters.

Lunch and Dinner were the most sought-after then, with Dinner only being served at the brewery for a time. I think that has changed since. I also really liked Another One and A Tiny Beautiful Something. They all tasted “soft” to me in a good way, like it was something in the water (or maybe something not in the water).

Zoe, MO and Peeper are others I remember enjoying.

Yep. Nailed it. The stouts are good too. The Maine stuff was sought after at one time, but they haven’t changed anything, including the overpriced 500ml bottles. They used to keep Lunch behind the shelf at stores, now there are cases of it. Squandered an opportunity in my opinion.

@Letsgohuskies11 worth trying all those mentioned. Check the dates. Buy refrigerated if possible. Mo on tap was probably one of the two best pale ales I’ve ever had. But anything hoppy and more than two months old I’d pass on. They have a hoppy red called Red Wheelbarrow I think, that was also good.

Yep. Nailed it. The stouts are good too. The Maine stuff was sought after at one time, but they haven’t changed anything, including the overpriced 500ml bottles. They used to keep Lunch behind the shelf at stores, now there are cases of it. Squandered an opportunity in my opinion.

@Letsgohuskies11 worth trying all those mentioned. Check the dates. Buy refrigerated if possible. Mo on tap was probably one of the two best pale ales I’ve ever had. But anything hoppy and more than two months old I’d pass on. They have a hoppy red called Red Wheelbarrow I think, that was also good.

Just bought a "Mean old Tom" from Maine Brewery @HuskyHawk and @8893, its a stout aged on Vanilla beans, sounded interesting and sometimes i get tired of just drinking IPAs. There's a place around the block that almost exclusively does dry hop IPAs that are pretty amazing, SingleCut in Astoria. Def no shortage of good beer these days.

Curiouser
Just bought a "Mean old Tom" from Maine Brewery @HuskyHawk and @8893, its a stout aged on Vanilla beans, sounded interesting and sometimes i get tired of just drinking IPAs. There's a place around the block that almost exclusively does dry hop IPAs that are pretty amazing, SingleCut in Astoria. Def no shortage of good beer these days.
SingleCut is great.

HuskyHawk

Mean old Tom is the stout I was thinking of. I think you will like it. SingleCut is in stores here, good stuff. The one I buy when I see it is Softly Spoken Magic Spells. Love the Pink Floyd reference, but I also think it's their best DIPA

I like Maine. We buy a couple of cases when we drive by but I don't think they are twice as good as others and that's what they charge.

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
I’m protesting beer until the IPA and crazy name fad is over.

I’m thinking about starting a microbrewery that I will name “Beer.”

Our beers, which will not include any IPAs, will be called “Beers.”

Top Bottom