Becky Hammond going places? | The Boneyard

Becky Hammond going places?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would rather Florida get her than that other team who wears Orange...
I actually first read about this news on VolNation. Predictably, many Vol fans were lamenting the fact that Hammon might end up at FL while they were stuck with Holly. Gallows humor generally prevailed with one Vol fan writing, "FL will be one more team in the SEC that we can't beat."

Reaction Score
That would be a nice gig. The recruiting visits would be epic, especially those of us that have followed Becky's career from college to the WNBA.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I actually first read about this news on VolNation. Predictably, many Vol fans were lamenting the fact that Hammon might end up at FL while they were stuck with Holly. Gallows humor generally prevailed with one Vol fan writing, "FL will be one more team in the SEC that we can't beat."
I do tours over there as well and had seen that and just smile and shake my head. Theirs is a cautionary tale for us though, which makes me think of this- "but by the grace of God, go I". I just hope we don't suffer the same fate of expectations and vitriol that now exists at Tenn.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
All I remember about Becky Hammond is that she wasn't good enough to make the U. S. Olympic Women's BB Team in 2008, so she got some kind of exemption and played for Russia. It was a "bush league" move then and I don't care what she does or doesn't do now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All I remember about Becky Hammond is that she wasn't good enough to make the U. S. Olympic Women's BB Team in 2008, so she got some kind of exemption and played for Russia. It was a "bush league" move then and I don't care what she does or doesn't do now.
There are a number of athletes who have done that from a number of different countries including about 10 US Women's basketball players - if it is a dream and you cannot break into your national team but another national team wants you, go for it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UT would have to fire Holly first before they could tend an offer to Hammond. With such a great recruiting class incoming which just reinforces Holly's bad coaching behaviors/decisions, and a new administration which is not on sure footing, that's not going to happen.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If that is all you remember of a player then perhaps you soured on MJ when he failed at baseball. However, maybe you should see her basketball acumen and perhaps note that Popovich hired her on that basis, as well as her ability to relate and teach adult men the game on its highest level.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I'm really lost. Who is Becky Hammond and why is she of such interest to the BY?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
If that is all you remember of a player then perhaps you soured on MJ when he failed at baseball. However, maybe you should see her basketball acumen and perhaps note that Popovich hired her on that basis, as well as her ability to relate and teach adult men the game on its highest level.
Or maybe it was just a publicity stunt?

Reaction Score
  • Experience as a Head Coach: None.
  • Experience coaching Women's Basketball: None.
  • Experience recruiting: None.
  • Experience dealing with the NCAA as a coach: None.
I wouldn't be the first person to say that coaching Men is different than coaching Women, but going from the NBA to College Women...there is simply no comparison that can reasonably be made. Good players don't necessarily make good coaches. I just can't see what Florida sees in her, apart from a chance to make a big publicity splash (see Louisiana Tech 2014).

Maybe she will make it right off the bat, maybe she'll struggle for a few years figuring it out before her team sets the NCAA afire, maybe she'll be gone in four years...far, far too much conjecture involved to be worth considering.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Or maybe it was just a publicity stunt?
Anyone who knows anything about Coach Popovich, knows that publicity is the last thing he's concerned with. After her playing days were over, Becky Hammon spent months working for Pop in what amounted to an unpaid internship.

Based on her work ethic and knowledge, Pop offered her a job as an Assistant Coach with the Spurs. She was subsequently named the HC of the Spurs NBA Summer League team which won the league championship.

By all indications from both the Spurs players and coaches, Hammon has a great basketball mind and is an excellent communicator.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
  • Experience as a Head Coach: None. Coaching men's NBA summer league to championship
  • Experience coaching Women's Basketball: None.
  • Experience recruiting: None.
  • Experience dealing with the NCAA as a coach: None.
  • Experience as an assistant coach: three years as assistant coach on Greg Popovich's Spurs team (first full time assistant in the NBA)
I wouldn't be the first person to say that coaching Men is different than coaching Women, but going from the NBA to College Women...there is simply no comparison that can reasonably be made. Good players don't necessarily make good coaches. I just can't see what Florida sees in her, apart from a chance to make a big publicity splash (see Louisiana Tech 2014).

Maybe she will make it right off the bat, maybe she'll struggle for a few years figuring it out before her team sets the NCAA afire, maybe she'll be gone in four years...far, far too much conjecture involved to be worth considering.
Fixed it for you.
Pretty much every person who has worked with her has been impressed, so she is a hot name as a prospect for coaching openings not just at Florida. And you reasoning for her being a four year hire is?

Reaction Score
Fixed it for you.
Pretty much every person who has worked with her has been impressed, so she is a hot name as a prospect for coaching openings not just at Florida. And you reasoning for her being a four year hire is?
I agree UcMiami, if she can get her kind of kids at Florida or any big money school like that she'll have them close or in the top 20 in 2 years. At Tennessee, top 5-10 in maybe 2 years. She's real smart and disciplined.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure she doesn't care what you do or don't do either... so negative....

Reaction Score
"Coaching men's NBA summer league to championship." I meant a long-term program commitment, not a short term excursion. There is a big difference between running practices/games and building a program and managing it.

My point is that she has done nothing to prove that she is worth the risk, while there are many, many coaches out there with a wealth of experiences that are a significantly better investment. She is a huge gamble; maybe a good gamble (like Auriemma) maybe not.

Assuming that she'd be good at something that she has never done simply because she has done something similar isn't reasonable.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"Coaching men's NBA summer league to championship." I meant a long-term program commitment, not a short term excursion. There is a big difference between running practices/games and building a program and managing it.

My point is that she has done nothing to prove that she is worth the risk, while there are many, many coaches out there with a wealth of experiences that are a significantly better investment. She is a huge gamble; maybe a good gamble (like Auriemma) maybe not.

Assuming that she'd be good at something that she has never done simply because she has done something similar isn't reasonable.
So you would fall into the 'anybody but Shea' camp for replacing Geno when he retires because she has definitely never been a head coach of a major or even minor program? Bring back Jamelle or Jen who have that proven ability?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Hard to say she wasn't good enough.
She was plenty good; just not invited.
And she'll be a heck of a coach
indeed is one already.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Not sure why you're so adamantly opposed to Becky Hammon as FL's next HC. She knows WBB inside out. She was a star pg at CO St, undrafted free agent who played 15 seasons in the WNBA and 6 time Allstar. Also a star internationally.

Most importantly, she spent the last 3 seasons working for Greg Popovich, one of the best basketball coaches in the world, and the current USA men's Olympic coach. Pop is considered to be one of the best teachers of the game, so much so that Geno sought him out last year to spend a week in San Antonio talking basketball and learning.

Frankly, I think Hammon's resume is outstanding. She would be a great hire in Gainesville.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I can see where you'd need somebody with 20 years of experience like Warlick at Tennessee. Hammon has forgotten more than many of the coaches in Div. 1 have ever known. Like Hillsman at Syracuse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom