Beating Iona's Press..Boneyard Version | The Boneyard

Beating Iona's Press..Boneyard Version

Reaction Score
Shout out to @Hey Adrien! for his excellent scouting report and his suggestions on beating Iona's press. Let's assume for the moment that the UConn personnel on the floor is our starting five.. Its a made basket by Iona setting up their press.. 7'0 Shema is guarding the guy inbounding the ball.. They have two guards inside foul line (probably Clayton/Jenkins) trying to trap receiver of initial pass while using corners as additional defenders--with Shema then sliding over to assist on trap.. JeanLouis--their Andre-lite athlete is roaming mid-court like a safety/centerfielder.. And Junior Joseph is defending our basket until press is broken and defense retreats as we begin our offensive sets.

Here is my question to the Yard.. Who do you want inbounding the ball after the made basket? The person taking the ball out of the bottom of the net? Who immediately inbounds ball before defense is set? Or a designated guy (like AK/TN) who you wait to get into place--as their defense is getting set for the press- with a predictable pass to one of our guards--probably Jackson or Newton (if not inbounding).. The precision and speed with which we can get ball inbounds and up-court will be one of the keys to our success on Fri ((and vs VCU)..

Understand that Pitino will mix up his pressure by waiting for ball to get inbounded first with light pressure and then press.

I believe the size/height and athleticism of our guards will be valuable.. If AK is the inbounder... Doesn't that takeaway his ability to be an outlet for the second/third pass as we move upcourt? Or does he stay in backcourt to assist AJ/TN as the ball is moved into half court?? Hawk would probably assist as outlet but can be susceptible to ball pressure.

IMO-- One of the biggest challenges for us.. They take time off of clock during the press while we're moving ball up-court and minimize Sanogo's potential dominance in the paint because we've taken time to get into our sets. Curious what you guys would do if you were DH

Reaction Score
1. Don't let Iona score = no press on inbounds.
2. If they score. Remember ability to Run the baseline . I would think our speed would take away any advantage they have using the 7 foot guy guarding the in bounds pass. If we start breaking the press our athleticism at the other end will allow us to score easy buckets. They can't have the 7 footer on both ends of court at same time.
3. Use bounce passes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As @Uconn77Duke74 said, play defense and it's not an issue.

On inbounds, it should be Newton inbounding to Jackson with Hawk also back. Or Hawk to Newton with Jackson back. Goal is to get it to Jackson. He's a one man press break because he will dribble full speed ahead or throw a long pass over the defenders.

The goal with any press is to turn it into easy baskets so it stops. We've actually been really good at that most of the year. Karaban needs to be the man over half court because he can pass to Sanogo, attack the hoop or shoot.

Reaction Score
@gwhuskyfan posted his excellent interview with Marist's John Dunne and in that he shared that Iona's press has a variety of looks in both personnel and objective.

Sometimes, it's designed to trap, sometimes, it's designed to focus away from the ball handler and more on help/prevent D.

This is a repeat from my report, but for me, the best recipe is to keep a big and Jackson no closer than halfcourt line and have then as wide outs while Karaban, Hawkins and a third guard to facilitate getting out of the press.

What I love about both Karaban and Hawkins is that they have two of the three lowest TO rates on the team, height to see the court and length to increase their catch radius.

IMO, the most dangerous guard vs Iona's press is Diarra (team high 29.6 TO rate, nearly 5% higher than Andre Jackson's). Ideally, it's a good game to DNP him and I'd want Alleyne and Calcaterra as the only guards off the bench, both of which are low TO rate players.

Would it be crazy to play PG-less from time to time? For example, I think a Hawkins/Karaban/Alleyne or Calcaterra backcourt would fit perfectly in navigating the press and then Jackson could be our top facilitator in the halfcourt, if need be. When we navigate the press well, halfcourt sets wouldn't even be as needed, anyways, thus maximizing Jackson's value as scorer in space under the baseline.

Reaction Score
1. Don't let Iona score = no press on inbounds.
2. If they score. Remember ability to Run the baseline . I would think our speed would take away any advantage they have using the 7 foot guy guarding the in bounds pass. If we start breaking the press our athleticism at the other end will allow us to score easy buckets. They can't have the 7 footer on both ends of court at same time.
3. Use bounce passes.
Their 7' guy is a stretch 4.. Joseph is a 5 as big as Adama..He would be on him during the press..

Reaction Score
@gwhuskyfan posted his excellent interview with Marist's John Dunne and in that he shared that Iona's press has a variety of looks in both personnel and objective.

Sometimes, it's designed to trap, sometimes, it's designed to focus away from the ball handler and more on help/prevent D.

This is a repeat from my report, but for me, the best recipe is to keep a big and Jackson no closer than halfcourt line and have then as wide outs while Karaban, Hawkins and a third guard to facilitate getting out of the press.

What I love about both Karaban and Hawkins is that they have two of the three lowest TO rates on the team, height to see the court and length to increase their catch radius.

IMO, the most dangerous guard vs Iona's press is Diarra (team high 29.6 TO rate, nearly 5% higher than Andre Jackson's). Ideally, it's a good game to DNP him and I'd want Alleyne and Calcaterra as the only guards off the bench, both of which are low TO rate players.

Would it be crazy to play PG-less from time to time? For example, I think a Hawkins/Karaban/Alleyne or Calcaterra backcourt would fit perfectly in navigating the press and then Jackson could be our top facilitator in the halfcourt, if need be. When we navigate the press well, halfcourt sets wouldn't even be as needed, anyways, thus maximizing Jackson's value as scorer in space under the baseline.
Never thought of catch radius in BB terms before.. Like it..You must have played FB

Reaction Score
As @Uconn77Duke74 said, play defense and it's not an issue.

On inbounds, it should be Newton inbounding to Jackson with Hawk also back. Or Hawk to Newton with Jackson back. Goal is to get it to Jackson. He's a one man press break because he will dribble full speed ahead or throw a long pass over the defenders.

The goal with any press is to turn it into easy baskets so it stops. We've actually been really good at that most of the year. Karaban needs to be the man over half court because he can pass to Sanogo, attack the hoop or shoot.
Playing defense is an obvious solution if you're throwing a shutout..This is BB.. Iona is going to make shots/Fts.. Don't know about you but I was getting a little nervous during Providence game and their 26-5 run using their press vs us and our inefficiency on inbounds passing/avoiding traps/telegraphing lazy passes.

Believe we win on Fri.. Among other things--based on our ability to break the press..

Reaction Score
I said this a couple of days ago. Don’t let them score and they can’t set up their traps. Game.

If we’re inbounding against their press all game that’d mean we’re doing something wrong on the defensive end. They aren’t some offensive juggernaut. Get stops and get out in transition. When we’re getting stops and attacking in transition we aren’t losing to anybody. Let alone Iona

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Playing defense is an obvious solution if you're throwing a shutout..This is BB.. Iona is going to make shots/Fts.. Don't know about you but I was getting a little nervous during Providence game and their 26-5 run using their press vs us and our inefficiency on inbounds passing/avoiding traps/telegraphing lazy passes.

Believe we win on Fri.. Among other things--based on our ability to break the press..
That happened because we were nursing a lead and burning clock. Hurley needs to make it clear to the team that scoring quickly against the press is the goal. Every press is a gift and opportunity to be exploited.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

My concern is that originally we had Karaban make the inbound pass and he struggled with it. And if he's receiving an inbound pass he gets easily trapped. I'd rather have him midcourt as a facilitator there.

Reaction Score
As has been said here and in my post #14 in Hey Adrien's scouting report thread is that if UConn plays good half court D then Iona won't be able to set up their press. I would add that UConn might consider setting up a press, too. You know the old adage, that teams that press hate to be pressed. What I am suggesting doesn't mean a full throttle press hell bent on forcing a turnover like Iona's press, but one that slows Iona down from getting the ball over half court and into their half court offense in essence knocking 10-12 seconds off the shot clock from them getting into their half court offense. This will make it easier to stop them in the half court offense which means Iona can't set up their press.

I think the biggest thing for UConn will be mental, not just for the press but the entire game. Don't panic and break the pressure to score and don't overthink shooting open 3s. In transition don't rush the open 3 point shots, take your time.

Reaction Score
That happened because we were nursing a lead and burning clock. Hurley needs to make it clear to the team that scoring quickly against the press is the goal. Every press is a gift and opportunity to be exploited.
Exploiting a press.. which we have the talent to do if we're executing.. is the objective.. Getting off the inbounds pass and second pass quickly and precisely--and then up-court .. is the strategy.. I think we have been casual about this in recent games.. If we tighten it up for Iona/VCU.. The rest of our talents will be able to be showcased.

Reaction Score
My concern is that originally we had Karaban make the inbound pass and he struggled with it. And if he's receiving an inbound pass he gets easily trapped. I'd rather have him midcourt as a facilitator there.
Or have Karaban on the receiving end for an open 3 pointer.

Reaction Score
Or have Karaban on the receiving end for an open 3 pointer.
Absolutely possible.. But either Hawk or Alex will need to be at mid-court as an outlet for our guards as a first responsibility. The quicker we get to half court the better so that we can run 3-on-2 breaks/corner threes/dump downs to AS for easy buckets.

Reaction Score
Who do I want inbounding? The first person to grab the ball after it goes through the hoop, as quickly as possible.
Agree with you..But. ..I can't tell you how many times our guys drop the ball on the baseline(for the inbounder) and walk away if they're not assigned to inbound.. ie Adama.. Allowing defense to get set

Reaction Score
Agree with you..But. ..I can't tell you how many times our guys drop the ball on the baseline(for the inbounder) and walk away if they're not assigned to inbound.. ie Adama.. Allowing defense to get set
That's always annoyed the hell out of me.

Reaction Score
One theory on how to attack a pressing team is to return the favor and press the presser. We have a deep enough bench to pressure Iona and potentially wear their guards down.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
As others have said, if we defend we limit the affects of their pressure.

Reaction Score
My thoughts on inbounder:

No - Sanogo, Clingan, Andre, Alleyne, Diara, Joey,
Maybe - Hawk
Yes - Newton, Karaban,

Receiver - Newton, Karaban, Andre, Hawk, Joey, Sanogo

Reaction Score
My thoughts on inbounder:

No - Sanogo, Clingan, Andre, Alleyne, Diara, Joey,
Maybe - Hawk
Yes - Newton, Karaban,

Receiver - Newton, Karaban, Andre, Hawk, Joey, Sanogo

Hawk is a no.

Karaban needs to be the inbounder. He's a really friggen good passer. Having your best ballhandler (Newton) inbounding the ball doesn't make much sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom