BE Update from Aresco

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, you got the "horse" part right, anyway...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I am sure all four remaining members remain "committed".

Reaction Score
This is much better than dissolving. The lawyers will now be working OT on all the details. A lot of money involved with the breakup.

Reaction Score
I think a person loses all credibility when they make statements like those made by Aresco in that article. Called a spade a spade and admit that the conference is falling apart. Everyone knows it is, what is the point in saying you remain optimistic when the real situation is going to make it absolutely impossible for your optimistic view of the future to materialize.

This is like Herbst or Manuel coming out and saying that there is absolutely no reason to worry about the future of UConn's athletic department. It would be completely detached from reality.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I think a person loses all credibility when they make statements like those made by Aresco in that article. Called a spade a spade and admit that the conference is falling apart. Everyone knows it is, what is the point in saying you remain optimistic when the real situation is going to make it absolutely impossible for your optimistic view of the future to materialize.

This is like Herbst or Manuel coming out and saying that there is absolutely no reason to worry about the future of UConn's athletic department. It would be completely detached from reality.
Herbst and Manuel agree that there is no reason to worry, and that they are, indeed, detached from reality. But they are monitoring the reality situation.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Honestly, we should be kissing his butt because if I was Aresco I would be moving on to my next gig by now. He came into a league that was healthy and had a handshake deal with NBC that was going to make all the schools rich. Now he has 3 schools left from that league. I would take my ball and go home if I was him. Everyone else has.

Reaction Score

Aresco is not a Providence stooge. He was brought in for football. He continues to do what he was brought in for.

Reaction Score
Aresco is not a Providence stooge. He was brought in for football. He continues to do what he was brought in for.

He's fighting a rear guard action. Ultimately he'll be presiding over the surrender.

Reaction Score
He's fighting a rear guard action. Ultimately he'll be presiding over the surrender.

Surrender to who and what? Everyone's gone. UConn's left. This is UConn's gig now.

Reaction Score
Surrender to who and what? Everyone's gone. UConn's left. This is UConn's gig now.

In this case, surrendering is the divying up of whatever exit money the conference does get, and the NCAA credits as everyone goes their sep ways.

Reaction Score
In this case, surrendering is the divying up of whatever exit money the conference does get, and the NCAA credits as everyone goes their sep ways.

Obviously, I don't want that. If you note, the source for Blauds article was from the Catholic side. I seriously doubt UConn wants to give the Catholics a chunk of change. But on the other hand, if they stick around for 3 years, they may get that change regardless, and it may be split up by even more teams, so it may make some sense to negotiate it. I don't know how much is at stake. If it's only $20m, divided over 3 years, among 16 teams--I say screw them. UConn can make them suffer out of principle and only be out $500k. That's $500k well spent.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The first thing we need to look at is what this conference has been over the past few years, what it was going to become and how much different things really would be for a couple of years. Short term, we can still play a game a year against Georgetown, Nova, if we care to St John's & PC (possibly at very favorable terms) and see a schedule that would be little different than what it would have been without a departure of the catholic schools. Hell, we went a few years without playing two conference members each year and only have home and home games against three. The 'conference game' title would be the only difference.

Football would not change and i doubt that any other sports would be impacted too greatly. Long term, again, long term either lands us in a better conference or we will be screwed whether the catholic schools remain or not.

There really is no reason to see this as anything significant in terms of the big picture unless you can demonstrate that the catholics remaining in the BE improves our chances of a B1G or ACC invitation than their leaving. I personally believe that our eventual destination will be all on us.

Reaction Score
The first thing we need to look at is what this conference has been over the past few years, what it was going to become and how much different things really would be for a couple of years. Short term, we can still play a game a year against Georgetown, Nova, if we care to St John's & PC (possibly at very favorable terms) and see a schedule that would be little different than what it would have been without a departure of the catholic schools. Hell, we went a few years without playing two conference members each year and only have home and home games against three. The 'conference game' title would be the only difference.

Football would not change and i doubt that any other sports would be impacted too greatly. Long term, again, long term either lands us in a better conference or we will be screwed whether the catholic schools remain or not.

There really is no reason to see this as anything significant in terms of the big picture unless you can demonstrate that the catholics remaining in the BE improves our chances of a B1G or ACC invitation than their leaving. I personally believe that our eventual destination will be all on us.

I only care about playing Georgetown and Villanova, since they are the class of that contingent. St. Johns I could deal with because it's close by. I don't want to play Providence. They are just another soon to be nothingburger boutique athletic department. Nearly as potent as Luxembourg's Navy.

Reaction Score
One thing Aresco totally botched was the Geographic balance of the football divisions by bringing in Tulane and ECU. Now you have 8 schools in the East and 4 schools in the West (if you count Texas as being West). This makes it difficult to add full members from the West and potentially might cause SDSU and BSU to go to the MWC. If for example you added Fresno State and UNLV and the western schools became full members, you would have good balance and a formidable basketball league.

East
UConn
Temple
Cincy
Memphis
USF
UCF

West
UH
SMU
Boise State
Fresno State
UNLV
San Diego State

Reaction Score
Can we uninvite Tulane and ECU? Seems like that would help pull a better conference together.

Reaction Score
One thing Aresco totally botched was the Geographic balance of the football divisions by bringing in Tulane and ECU. Now you have 8 schools in the East and 4 schools in the West (if you count Texas as being West). This makes it difficult to add full members from the West and potentially might cause SDSU and BSU to go to the MWC. If for example you added Fresno State and UNLV and the western schools became full members, you would have good balance and a formidable basketball league.

Just go to 16:

East
UConn
Temple
Cincy
Memphis
USF
UCF
ECU
Tulane

West
UH
SMU
Boise State
Fresno State
UNLV
San Diego State
New Mexico
BYU/ Colorado State or Utah State

pj

Reaction Score
Soon, Aresco could be head of the UConn network, pitching UConn sports to cable companies in CT/NY/NE.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Soon, Aresco could be head of the UConn network, pitching UConn sports to cable companies in CT/NY/NE.
I like the forward thinking part of this and the rational part of me knows that the stench of death pouring off Aresco is not his fault.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I like the forward thinking part of this and the rational part of me knows that the stench of death pouring off Aresco is not his fault.

It's been tried before. They now call it, ESPN.

Reaction Score

As the dust settles ...

I think we lost a lot when Pitt & Syracuse left. The 7 Catholic schools: I wanted to stay linked to them; however, as you think about it, there was really not a huge economic/brand issue except for Georgetown. And some Villanova. We should frankly be glad to be rid of DePaul, Seton Hall (I'd be happy never to play them), PC and Marquette (good Program ... but not that big a deal for us).\

And, while no one around here wants to see sunshine & blue skies, there is some optimism. Some of the newbies are going to be better than six of the lost Catholics.

Reaction Score
The basketball first journalists are lashing out. Let them. They are relevant for 2-3 months a year.

We simply have better to do then play DePaul, Seton Hall, PC. I wish this parasites had left years ago.

They only left once they realized the host was about to die.

They added nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104