BE/CUSA/MWC merger document drawn up by MWC, pushed in BE by faction of basketball schools | The Boneyard

BE/CUSA/MWC merger document drawn up by MWC, pushed in BE by faction of basketball schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's getting awfully close to open warfare in the Big East between fb and bb schools:

CBS Sports says merger document, which disparages BE football, was drawn up by the MWC/CUSA

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/32854353

Some Big East basketball schools are pushing the concept.

The document was leaked by Marinatto/Big East thru Blaudschun.

A central tenet of the document is that the BE would not retain its AQ status.

Reaction Score
If WVA leaves, I don't see how you could possibly argue with this. It is reality. If WVA stays, it is also probably inevitable. I mean, a power team from a power conference hasn't lost to Syracuse by 30 points in a long, long time. I'm sorry, but reality is reality.

Reaction Score
I think we are near the end game. I hope rest of the BE football schools can all find a home somewhere vs. this crazy idea. Frankly, I rather see UCONN go indy than being in this mess. I can't believe bball onlies want to lose the BCS tag so badly.

It is insane why the BE football schools are being managed by such an idiot who is still preaching conference realignment ethics when guys like Swofford and others have no problem stealing teams from the BE in the middle of the night.

Reaction Score
This would be interesting if true though.

If you are Boise, Air Force, SMU, Houston, & UCF:
a. Were you aware of this proposal ahead of time as your parent conferences supposedly drew this up?
b. Would you rather begin competing in 2012 for a definite AQ bid for at least 2 years against 11 teams, or join in on this conglomeration to compete against 31? Which is better odds?

This is a blatant attempt by those schools not up for Big East consideration to wrest the autobid away, with the blessing of the Big East basketball schools.

If I'm the Big East Football membership, I'm meeting in emergency session, starting the schism, & taking my chances.

Reaction Score
I'd also have the football schools give autonomy to either Jurich or Oliver Luck to act as a bargaining agent with the Big 12 to annex the 6 as a group. If Mizzou stays (doubtful) they are at the magical 16, if not, they can pick one more to get there. I think that I've done a 180 on Texas with this proposal. I'd rather endure Bevo's machinations than be forced in Marrinato's fool's errand.

Reaction Score
It's getting awfully close to open warfare in the Big East between fb and bb schools:

CBS Sports says merger document, which disparages BE football, was drawn up by the MWC/CUSA

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/32854353

Some Big East basketball schools are pushing the concept.

The document was leaked by Marinatto/Big East thru Blaudschun.

A central tenet of the document is that the BE would not retain its AQ status.

Where do you see evidence of "open warfare" between fb and bb? It seems a desperate move, but if it is the only option for preserving AQ status, I'd hope that the fb schools would be pushing it.

Reaction Score
It's silly, too, because part of the formula for AQ conferences is the average rank of your team. This 3-team superconference may have some top programs (one of the 3 parts of the formula is highest average BCS rank), but the drek at the bottom would absolutely pull it out of AQ contention.

The reality is AFA, BSU, Houston, UCF, and SMU would greatly benefit from joining the BE even if pretty much all the other BE schools left! They'd lose the bottom-dwellers and be sitting in a conference with the best other MWC and CUSA schools. It may not be AQ, but its a hell of a lot closer than either of the two are with all those other schools attached.

Reaction Score
Should have split from the basketball onlies years ago, and left them in the dumps.

Reaction Score
Where do you see evidence of "open warfare" between fb and bb? It seems a desperate move, but if it is the only option for preserving AQ status, I'd hope that the fb schools would be pushing it.

AQ status is irrelevant with 32 schools. For the last several years, those schools have qualified regardless since the bar is set so low.
It will kill recruiting and kill $$$.

16 million divided by 32 schools in $500k. Yuckers.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but the 32 team monster is nothing more than a bunch of teams competing to see who is the tallest dwarf.

Maybe it would be a way to mend fences with ESPN/Disney because Disney knows a lot about dwarfs. Imagine, Biggest Dwarf Conference Championship Game sponsored by Disney.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The OP has added a few comments to a linked source that appear to be his own opinions and not substantiated.

These three statements are:
1) Marinatto/BE leaked this to Blaudschun.
2) Some BE bb schools favor this
3) It is close to open warfare between the BE fb and bb schools.

Most likely this document was sent to Blaudschun from some one other than from the BE. And it isn't even certain if it was an official document from the MWC/CUSA or just someone from one of those conferences who is trying to create hostility between BE members and schools the BE might want to take from those conferences by throwing insults at the BE schools. I wouldn't be surprised if it was sent by the ACC or ESPN. My suggestion has as much, if not more likelihood of hitting the mark, than the OP.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The OP has added a few comments to a linked source that appear to be his own opinions and not substantiated.

These three statements are:
1) Marinatto/BE leaked this to Blaudschun.
2) Some BE bb schools favor this
3) It is close to open warfare between the BE fb and bb schools.

Most likely this document was sent to Blaudschun from some one other than from the BE. And it isn't even certain if it was an official document from the MWC/CUSA or just someone from one of those conferences who is trying to create hostility between BE members and schools the BE might want to take from those conferences by throwing insults at the BE schools. I wouldn't be surprised if it was sent by the ACC or ESPN. My suggestion has as much, if not more likelihood of hitting the mark, than the OP.
The OP may have added his opinions. It appears that you have countered his opinions with your opinions. The one constant is that each of you is attempting to pass off opinions as facts.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would rather drop FBS footaball than participate in this stinking pile of excrement.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would rather drop FBS footaball than participate in this stinking pile of excrement.
If these were the only two options I would agree.

Personally I would drop the catholic schools in a heartbeat if remaining with them would put our ability to field an FBS football program in jeopardy. If we felt it important we could easily work out an arrangement to play the four originals; SH, SJU, PC, GT as well as Nova (almost an original) every year, alternating home dates as non conference opponents (really not much different than what we've had with them over the past seven seasons).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The OP may have added his opinions. It appears that you have countered his opinions with your opinions. The one constant is that each of you is attempting to pass off opinions as facts.
That is actually the difference. The OP attempted to pass his remarks as facts. I made it clear my ideas were just opinions.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Now Thamel is twitting that the Providence Crew never even saw the proposal and are still locked in to the 12-team model.

Wacky stuff, this expansion business...

Reaction Score
Now Thamel is twitting that the Providence Crew never even saw the proposal and are still locked in to the 12-team model.

Wacky stuff, this expansion business...

I think these "leaked" stories are just designed to humiliate and weaken the Big East.

Reaction Score
I twould be nice if some leadership emerged from somewhere in the Big East. Looking back to the earlier raid, regardelss of what you thought of Tranghese (and I thought his loyalty to the basketball schools at all cost was one of the main factors in theat raid) he at least managed to pull things together and the Rutgers AD and the Pitt Chancellor stepped to lead the rebuilding effort. I just haven't seen the same level of leadership from either Marrinatto or any of the presidents this time around. In part I guess that the logical leaders, Jurich, Luck the Rutgers folks are all looking out for their own programs futures and I'm not sure that any of them see those futures in the Big East. And whatever you think of Susan Herbst, she has the problem of being a new kid on the block with no permanent AD, so she is going ot have less impact than someone with some history with the league. While Prendergast might atr some point be a fine AD, he too is new and further is "Acting." That leads generally results in a reduction in influence.

Reaction Score
well, well, well. I know what your thinking but cant say. "looks like GDF and Fr. Leahy were right all along!"

Reaction Score
well, well, well. I know what your thinking but cant say. "looks like GDF and Fr. Leahy were right all along!"

Your schtick is tired. No one ever bagged on BC for leaving.
People talked about BC heading reorganization AFTER Notre Dame had sided with the basketball schools. BC, if it were headed by anything but liars, should have stepped down right then and there. Instead, they presided over expansion.

Reaction Score

you BC troll; is your life so damn pathetic that you follow this UConn board around wherever it goes? I know you've been following us around since Rivals, to Scout, and now to this new board.

Reaction Score
First of all, everyone bagged on BC for leaving.
Your second statement makes my point though. BC did want to lead reorganization. That reorganization included seperating from the hoops only schools which is what everyone here is now pushing for. BC knew then that the BE leadership could care less about football and only made moves to ensure the basketball league lived on. Should of happened back in 2004.

Reaction Score
First of all, everyone bagged on BC for leaving.
Your second statement makes my point though. BC did want to lead reorganization. That reorganization included seperating from the hoops only schools which is what everyone here is now pushing for. BC knew then that the BE leadership could care less about football and only made moves to ensure the basketball league lived on. Should of happened back in 2004.
Look, your argument is somewhat circular. Now Uconn has to look elsewhere. Why? There is nothing left in the conference. Everyone left. If everyone had not bailed in 2003, this would be one of the stronger conferences. The ACC would be the weakest of the 6. Now that there is virtually nothing left because you bailed out with the others, and we have to bail also, this means you must have been right all along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom