BE Commissioner Val Ackerman sticking with travel model but will make ‘relatively quick pivot’ to another format or a stoppage as COVID case rise | The Boneyard

BE Commissioner Val Ackerman sticking with travel model but will make ‘relatively quick pivot’ to another format or a stoppage as COVID case rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's gratifying to hear the conference has done some planning for various situations, but the big problem is the NCAA, in spite of its exemplary leadership history under Mark Emmert, :rolleyes: has failed to show the leadership necessary to ensure consistency among all the conferences. Hoping it plays out OK is not the right formula, even though it's worked so well in the past, like the APR standards.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If there's no consistency in application of quarantines, for example, where some schools automatically shut down the whole team for 14 days, while others quarantine the person who tested positive while the rest of the team practices and plays on as long as they show negative results on testing, how can you have a true measure of which teams should qualify for the tournament?

Sure, they'll say the problem is state regulations vary widely. Well, put them all on poster boards taped around the conference room and see if you can't meld them into one coherent policy. Even if we end up getting through the season and have a tournament, will it actually reflect the reality of which teams are best?

Reaction Score
It's gratifying to hear the conference has done some planning for various situations, but the big problem is the NCAA, in spite of its exemplary leadership history under Mark Emmert, :rolleyes: has failed to show the leadership necessary to ensure consistency among all the conferences. Hoping it plays out OK is not the right formula, even though it's worked so well in the past, like the APR standards.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If there's no consistency in application of quarantines, for example, where some schools automatically shut down the whole team for 14 days, while others quarantine the person who tested positive while the rest of the team practices and plays on as long as they show negative results on testing, how can you have a true measure of which teams should qualify for the tournament?

Sure, they'll say the problem is state regulations vary widely. Well, put them all on poster boards taped around the conference room and see if you can't meld them into one coherent policy. Even if we end up getting through the season and have a tournament, will it actually reflect the reality of which teams are best?
Careful now......you are introducing common sense into the proceedings. This is the NCAA we are talking about here.

Reaction Score
With no one but athletes on campus, and since the kids can't even go home to see their parents, why not just have a real bubble? I'm sure Fox would put up some $ for it if the cost is too much for the big east. These are college kids, they don't need 5* luxury like the NBA guys.

The kids want to play, find a way to let them play

Reaction Score
With no one but athletes on campus, and since the kids can't even go home to see their parents, why not just have a real bubble? I'm sure Fox would put up some $ for it if the cost is too much for the big east. These are college kids, they don't need 5* luxury like the NBA guys.

The kids want to play, find a way to let them play

I agree. I think it could actually be kind of fun. If they're all truly in a bubble together they could get to know players on other teams. I think it could be a cool experience. What are they doing on campus anyway? It's probably not that different. I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of though.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Happy to host a Big East bubble on the Storrs campus while all the students are away.

Play 3-4 games a day at Gampel for a few weeks. Knock out 7 conference games for each team, or something. Maybe have my boss give me paid time off and let me watch all the games in the upper corner of Gampel.

Also happy to work remotely in Gampel while watching the games, if the Wi-Fi cooperates. Happy to wear a mask.

I’m flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104