Be Careful What You Wish For | The Boneyard

Be Careful What You Wish For

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not that upset about losing Narduzzi. Narduzzi just won The Broyles Award as the top assistant coach. Here are the last 18 winners. Except for Malzahn, I wouldn't want any of these guys running our program. And that includes Cutcliff. The ones who became head coaches were marginal at best--either at winning or drawing interest in their programs--which includes the "corpulents" (Friedgen and Mangino).
Frankly, Other than Malzahn, I'd rather have TJ Weist or Pete Lembo. Am I crazy?

Mickey Andrews Florida State
Jim Herrmann Michigan
David Cutcliffe Tennessee
Ralph Friedgen Georgia Tech
Mark Mangino Oklahoma
Randy Shannon Miami (FL)
Norm Chow Southern California
Brian VanGorder Georgia
Gene Chizik Auburn
Greg Davis Texas
Bud Foster Virginia Tech
Jim Heacock Ohio State
Kevin Wilson Oklahoma
Kirby Smart Alabama
Gus Malzahn Auburn
John Chavis LSU
Bob Diaco Notre Dame
Pat Narduzzi Michigan State

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nevermind there are some good candidates on that list, but looking at previous winners and using that as a measuring stick for how the current winner will project as a HC is like using the board of previous winning numbers at a roulette table to determine what number will hit next. Gambler's fallacy, every single guy is different.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's like saying you don't want Johnny Football or Winston in the NFL because there were bad NFL players who won the Heisman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with this. Plus, most top schools do not want to hire assistants from outside of their program to be head coach. They want proven ability to run a program and win. UConn is the perfect spot to prove yourself. Unless he has a better job waiting or he has been promised HC in waiting at Michigan St., it's his loss IF he turned the job down.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. Plus, most top schools do not want to hire assistants from outside of their program to be head coach. They want proven ability to run a program and win. UConn is the perfect spot to prove yourself. Unless he has a better job waiting or he has been promised HC in waiting at Michigan St., it's his loss IF he turned the job down.
I completely agree with this. And probably a dumb move. if he is HC in waiting, I hope he has it in writing and was given the AD's kid as a hostage, because these things have a way of not quite coming true unless the current head coach is thinking about retiring in 1-2 years.

Reaction Score
He might have the thought process that when Texas becomes open his options open up for a better opportunity. If not this year then next year. That's the way I see it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Speculating on the speculation, his agent probably has feelers from enough P5 programs, open or not, to be comfortable turning it down, if he in fact did.

I'm fully behind not letting a candidate control the time line, none of these guys are sure things. If Warde felt they were, I'm sure he wouldn't let a bowl game or ass't pay get in the way.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if he is rolling the dice on Flood getting canned after he goes 3-9 next year. He would do well at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Are you really saying that you wouldn't want Smart, Cutcliff, Diaco, Narduzzi, Chavis or Foster running this program?

Then yes you are crazy, like should be committed crazy

Reaction Score
looking at previous winners and using that as a measuring stick for how the current winner will project as a HC is........

.......pretty darn accurate. These big time assistants have on balance not panned out as head coaches (and neither have Heisman QB's excelled in the NFL). While of course the next guy could do great, Malzahn --(and maybe Cutcliff) is really the only coaching success. And ergo the problem. Those who love Smart or Foster are whistling in the wind. Give me a proven successful head coach every time.

And as for the Heisman QB's, your odds of drafting one and winning with him in the NFL are not only astonishlingly slim they are incredibly consistent. Only 3 out of 16 would be labeled anywhere near successful on this list.

1989 Andre Ware Houston QB Jr. 1,073
1990 Ty Detmer B Y U QB Jr. 1,482
1992 Gino Torretta Miami (Fla) QB Sr. 1,400
1993 Charlie Ward Florida St QB Sr. 2,310
1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida QB Sr. 1,363
2000 Chris Weinke Florida St QB Sr. 1,628
2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska QB Sr. 770
2002 Carson Palmer USC QB Sr. 1,328
2003 Jason White Oklahoma QB Jr. 1,481
2004 Matt Leinart USC QB Jr. 1,325
2006 Troy Smith Ohio State QB Sr. 2,540
2007 Tim Tebow Florida QB Soph 1,957
2008 Sam Bradford Oklahoma QB Sop 1,726
2010 Cam Newton Auburn QB Jr. 2,263
2011 Robert Griffin III Baylor QB Jr. 1,687
2012 Johnny Manziel Texas A&M QB Fr. 2,029

As they say, the race doesn't always go to the swiftest...but that's the way to bet!

Reaction Score
I'm not that upset about losing Narduzzi. Narduzzi just won The Broyles Award as the top assistant coach. Here are the last 18 winners. Except for Malzahn, I wouldn't want any of these guys running our program. And that includes Cutcliff. The ones who became head coaches were marginal at best--either at winning or drawing interest in their programs--which includes the "corpulents" (Friedgen and Mangino).
Frankly, Other than Malzahn, I'd rather have TJ Weist or Pete Lembo. Am I crazy?

Mickey Andrews Florida State
Jim Herrmann Michigan
David Cutcliffe Tennessee
Ralph Friedgen Georgia Tech
Mark Mangino Oklahoma
Randy Shannon Miami (FL)
Norm Chow Southern California
Brian VanGorder Georgia
Gene Chizik Auburn
Greg Davis Texas
Bud Foster Virginia Tech
Jim Heacock Ohio State
Kevin Wilson Oklahoma
Kirby Smart Alabama
Gus Malzahn Auburn
John Chavis LSU
Bob Diaco Notre Dame
Pat Narduzzi Michigan State

Looking forward to hearing how you backpedal on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom