Bcs Memo On Possibility Of Legal Challenges | The Boneyard

Bcs Memo On Possibility Of Legal Challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is pretty interesting.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-bcs-discounted-chances-of-white-house-action

Then this at the end: "The current chairman of the BCS presidential oversight committee, Penn State President Graham Spanier, said even if it was determined that a playoff system was more inclusive than the current system, college presidents still wouldn't switch."

"We're not going to have a playoff," he said. "I chair the oversight committee for the BCS, and I represent the Big Ten Conference, and I've been on the BCS board and its predecessor organizations from the beginning. There has never been any sentiment whatsoever for a playoff ... If we didn't have the BCS, you would see a movement back to a more traditional bowl system."

Reaction Score
Good God. The stupidity and arrogance that you're seeing (see, e.g., DeFillipo, Luck and Nienas) seems to run through the entire damn system. Please let me be clear about one thing that I know: real businesses, trying to make money, do not sit around tweaking the Department of Justice and making snide comments and issuing snide press releases daring DoJ to do something. They just don't. Because they know that everything they write and say will one day become public in litigation.

You're telling DoJ that a playoff would be illegal? When you run them in every other division in football and in every other sport? If you think that, why are you participating?

I don't think, politically, the current administration would take the BCS on between now and the next election. But if you get a second term administration in power, I would look forward to it wiping the smugness off these people faces. And I don't discount that the current realignment struggle will get Washington involved earlier than the date that they would otherwise take on the BCS itself.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Good God. The stupidity and arrogance that you're seeing (see, e.g., DeFillipo, Luck and Nienas) seems to run through the entire damn system. Please let me be clear about one thing that I know: real businesses, trying to make money, do not sit around tweaking the Department of Justice and making snide comments and issuing snide press releases daring DoJ to do something. They just don't. Because they know that everything they write and say will one day become public in litigation.

You're telling DoJ that a playoff would be illegal? When you run them in every other division in football and in every other sport? If you think that, why are you participating?

I don't think, politically, the current administration would take the BCS on between now and the next election. But if you get a second term administration in power, I would look forward to it wiping the smugness off these people faces. And I don't discount that the current realignment struggle will get Washington involved earlier than the date that they would otherwise take on the BCS itself.

There are thems that can do.

Thems that can't...teach (or get into the education biz)

The arrogance and casual disregard is rather apalling. I agree, the current administration probably won't take this on now but I guarantee that someone is taking notes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

And that is what it is - arrogance. These type of personality believe they are above reproach. But they're not. I agree with your assessment of the situation politically. But these statements are being kept for later review.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it arrogance but I just don't see how a Playoff wouldn't Create more interest, viewership and Dollars. I really don't give a rats ass about any bowls except a couple. I would watch every playoff game. The only thing I can think of is that the "Big Leagues" are afraid they might lose being in the championship game every year because the system is basically rigged.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it arrogance but I just don't see how a Playoff wouldn't Create more interest, viewership and Dollars. I really don't give a rats ass about any bowls except a couple. I would watch every playoff game. The only thing I can think of is that the "Big Leagues" are afraid they might lose being in the championship game every year because the system is basically rigged.
I agree with that. If college basketball had a BCS like system would George Mason even have gotten the chance to play UCONN a few years ago? If D1 football had a playoff system it's quite possible that Boise State would already have a NC under it's belt.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The arrogance is that an individual representing a conference has gone on record stating that he has and will continue to keep the system exclusive. This is a very dangerous thing to do because those universities outside looking in can use these statements in a legal battle to bust the BCS. The arrogance is about someone not believing that they have to consider the implications for their actions or their statements.

Nienas did the same thing when he announced that WV was on a timeline. That pretty much put the nail on the coffin for WV lawsuit. And Luck hammered the nail in when he said that WV had not read all the B12's bylaws but signed the contract. Well that is a pretty crazy statement to make when the previous day you are suing another conference to get out of a contract. What is a judge or jury going to think about this? A university that doesn't read contracts is suing its current league for incompetence.

So I argue arrogance. But stupidity is a possibility as well

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The BCS chair is literally spitting in the face of every public employee in every state in the country, including Pennsylvania's. Every state is cutting services and headcount, and this is telling people he doesn't care how much more money state U would make, he doesn't want to do it. So there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree with that. If college basketball had a BCS like system would George Mason even have gotten the chance to play UCONN a few years ago? If D1 football had a playoff system it's quite possible that Boise State would already have a NC under it's belt.

I think what it would bring is a level of parity. Bama, LSU, Nebraska, OU, Florida, OSU, etc. would still be the best teams, but my guess is you'd have champions with two losses. Nobody would go undefeated, and you would see far fewer 52-12 games in conference play. The level of competition would be far more even. I have little doubt that it would help the sport. It's not that Ball State would ever win a championship. Instead teams like Ole Miss would get more of the kids going to Bama and LSU. Kansas would get some kids who would otherwise go to OU. UConn could steal a few from Penn State.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I go back to arrogance and not stupidity regarding Spanier. This is from an article that came out today (Nov 5th) in which three PSU people were indicted for involvement with sexual activity with minors today. A genuine horror story. And Spanier signed off on it.

Read the article and you start getting a profile about this guy. This is a mess for PSU.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=6270

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET