OT: - BC to play FL State with only 4 scholarship players. | The Boneyard

OT: BC to play FL State with only 4 scholarship players.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

So how is it we can't play games because someone was once in a room with someone who knew someone who may have had Covid, but BC is forced to play with practice players because more than half their team is down with it?

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Anyone else concerned that we will be heavily penalized by the selection committee if we end up playing significantly less games than other teams? I was reading Borges article yesterday and Jay Wright is planning on playing every other day later this month to make up games. He seemed extremely concerned about the total number of games his team plays before March. We have played even less games and do not have the same sense of urgency. That struck me.

Reaction Score
Anyone else concerned that we will be heavily penalized by the selection committee if we end up playing significantly less games than other teams? I was reading Borges article yesterday and Jay Wright is planning on playing every other day later this month to make up games. He seemed extremely concerned about the total number of games his team plays before March. We have played even less games and do not have the same sense of urgency. That struck me.
I expect to get very little benefit of the doubt for both:
1) playing many fewer games than other teams
2) playing without Bouknight for 6 weeks

Reaction Score

I think we'll be fine with the selection committee, but the team needs game experience to gel, experience different matchup challenges, and learn to closeout close games. Without that, it will be hard to get far in a one and done situation. As of this morning we have played fewer games than any other team in the kenpom top 40.

Reaction Score

No. Of all the things to be worrying about, I literally can not think of a single one more unlikely than the selection committee penalizing a basketball team because of its state's public health policies during an epidemic.

Computer programs don't penalize you for playing less games. They are perfectly capable of ranking teams who have played different numbers of games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

So how is it we can't play games because someone was once in a room with someone who knew someone who may have had Covid, but BC is forced to play with practice players because half their team is down wth it?

As usual, I feel like we are missing the obvious middle ground between these positions. UConn cancelling Sunday's game was not necessary. This game being played is not necessary. Common sense has completely left the building.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

So how is it we can't play games because someone was once in a room with someone who knew someone who may have had Covid, but BC is forced to play with practice players because more than half their team is down with it?
Ouch...that game should be cancelled.

Reaction Score
As usual, I feel like we are missing the obvious middle ground between these positions. UConn cancelling Sunday's game was not necessary. This game being played is not necessary. Common

For us, it's the state's protocols and how they differ from other states. Lots of teams lately have quarantined a player or a few players and still played their games. Hard to believe MA policies would allow BCU to play a game with so many quarantined. Maybe they got a special dispensation from the Pope............

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
No. Of all the things to be worrying about, I literally can not think of a single one more unlikely than the selection committee penalizing a basketball team because of its state's public health policies during an epidemic.

Computer programs don't penalize you for playing less games. They are perfectly capable of ranking teams who have played different numbers of games.
Actually, I couldn't think of a more likely scenario. It gives them a perfect excuse for when needing to explain what they may have gotten wrong- which they have to do every year, pandemic or not. Suffice it to say it's in our best interest to play as many games as we can...especially when there are other teams from states that are the same, if not MORE "unforgiving" towards COVID. NYC comes to mind....and a team from there that scrambled and scheduled a game on Sunday due to a cancellation from a certain other team.

Do we know if we are even practicing yet?

Reaction Score

I don't know. I may be paranoid but it's like the NCAA looks for reasons to punish us. I have little faith.

As a side note. Every state thinks they are following the science. And none of what Connecticut has done has made Connecticut any safer than anywhere else.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Seems to me we have the most restrictive policies in the country, outside of the IVY league.

Has athletic competition at any level turned into some super spreader event? They're playing games at every level in many communities. Sure athletes get sick, so do people living in a bubble, so that's not my question.

Are athletes at any level becoming seriously ill? Hospitalized? Or heaven forbid dying?

Have athletes playing at any level been connected to super spreader events involving friends and families?

I'm for taking precautions. I'm also about observing and learning from others. I don't think being at one extreme or the other is good for anybody. This post is intended to be apolitical, I'm advocating a more rational and uniform policy for playing games and living life.

Reaction Score
No

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It’s especially odd because mass seems to have stricter covid protocols than CT, and they definitely have a robust system for testing and contacting individuals that have tested positive to keep tabs on them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom