OT: - BC hires Charleston's Earl Grant | The Boneyard

OT: BC hires Charleston's Earl Grant

Reaction Score

Charleston has been one of the better teams out of the CAA over the last five years or so. Not a surprise they went for a young, up-and-coming mid-major coach.

One characteristic of Earl Grant Charleston teams: they don't waste offensive possessions. Charleston has been in the top-50 in preventing offensive turnovers in each of the last five seasons. On the flip side, BC hasn't been in within the top-100 of offensive turnover prevention since the 13-14 season.

No wonder three of Charleston's starters transferred out over the last two weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coached under Gregg Marshall for several years but has spent his entire life in the South and I'm guessing has no northeast/New England connections. Seems like a totally uninspired hire.
Got it, thanks. I know BC is not a glamorous job right now, buts it’s still an ACC job, I would expect them to be able to entertain decent coaches. I guess we will see how it turns out!

Reaction Score
If you're going to go this route, why not hire the Winthrop guy. Oh, yeah, he seems to have problems committing to Massachusetts.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I fell asleep reading the article announcing his hiring. Talk about a "who cares" hire.

Reaction Score
I am a big fan of this hire for BC Earl Grant is one of the CAA’s best coaches and deserved this chance He is the exact type of coach I think BC needs to regain relevance

Reaction Score
I am a big fan of this hire for BC Earl Grant is one of the CAA’s best coaches and deserved this chance He is the exact type of coach I think BC needs to regain relevance
1615831140314.png

That record doesn't exactly scream the best coach in a mid-level conference.

He's a meh hire who will continue BC Basketball's utter and complete irrelevance.

Just baffling for a school whose other two big programs have an established legend (hockey) and a legitimate up and coming young coach (football) - both of whom inject life and positive attention to their programs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Coached under Gregg Marshall for several years but has spent his entire life in the South and I'm guessing has no northeast/New England connections. Seems like a totally uninspired hire.

I think BC needs to recruit the south some. So that’s not a bad thing. They are in a mid Atlantic southern league. I also think they are aiming for respectable, not a final four contender. Seems a decent hire given that.

Reaction Score
Baffling hire. Middling record at a school that has produced some success. CoC has been D1 for 30 years and they have a 0.685 winning % and Grant's winning % is 0.588. No Northeast ties. He has been coaching since 2002 and he has only spent 3 seasons (at Wichita St.) coaching outside of South Carolina.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He probably comes cheaper than most ACC coaches and perhaps his hire fits some mandated criteria
He comes from an area that BC most likely needs to tap into the recruitment market since they can't compete with UConn or even UMass

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe the guy has a plan. Like recruit the south talking up playing Duke and UNC while living in an environment that doesn't vote for law enforcement.

Reaction Score
Grant seems like a good dude and did well at Charleston but it is a bit surprising they couldn't do better. Wonder if they'll pull a UMass and hire some prep school's coach to pipe recruits in

Reaction Score
I think you are lost. This is the UConn board.

Reaction Score
He probably comes cheaper than most ACC coaches and perhaps his hire fits some mandated criteria
He comes from an area that BC most likely needs to tap into the recruitment market since they can't compete with UConn or even UMass
Save this paranoid ignorance for the cesspool.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom