BC Defensive Coordinator Don Brown | The Boneyard

BC Defensive Coordinator Don Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I did like Brown but in year one (2011) we had far too much defensive talent for the results.

There is more than one philosophy for effective defense. What we are implementing now, which is heavily based on assignment discipline, will work very well once the players fully grasp it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brown was a Coup hire for P at the time. He also saw the writing on the wall and left for BC; so that he could stay in the northeast to be near his family. I thought his D while dynamic and full of blitzes often gave up the big play on 3rd & long. I like the system Diaco and Poindexter have brought...actually like the 3-4 better than the 4-3 because of the work Campenni and Myers do at the nose.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brown was a Coup hire for P at the time, and he also saw the writing on the wall and left for BC so that he could stay in the northeast to be near his family. I thought his D while dynamic and full of blitzes often gave up the big play on 3rd & long. I like the system Diaco and Poindexter have brought...actually like the 3-4 better than the 4-3 because of the work Campenni and Myers do at the nose.
So right on the 3rd and longs. I don't know how many times I was up screaming my head off on 3rd & 8 only to see a 20 yard gain during the Don Brown era.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Our defense is coming along quite nicely. They absolutely stuffed Stony Brook and kept BSU to one sustained drive for a TD. As for BYU, it was the first game and BYU has torn up every defense they've seen so far.

This staff has quickly developed an above average defense.

Reaction Score
So right on the 3rd and longs. I don't know how many times I was up screaming my head off on 3rd & 8 only to see a 20 yard gain during the Don Brown era.

Amen. I think people got sucked in with his platitudes. People got sick of playing bend don't break defenses and going to bowl games. Brown gave the fan base red meat while producing pedestrian results. Yes please let's go back to solving our problems with aggression. Bowl games became boring anyway.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Amen. I think people got sucked in with his platitudes. People got sick of playing bend don't break defenses and going to bowl games. Brown gave the fan base red meat while producing pedestrian results. Yes please let's go back to solving our problems with aggression. Bowl games became boring anyway.
okay, so I did snort my coffee on this one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Uconn's Defensive Performance the past two games. Even with the obvious miscues by the secondary (okay, Obi) the numbers are good. Exactly what you would expect against an FCS team and one of the better performances against BSU.

Stony Brook

STARTQTRPOSS.YARDPLAYSYARDSRESULT
12:44103:23STON 29520Punt
07:54100:00CONN 000Touchdown
07:09102:08STON 3239Punt
04:16102:02CONN 2044Field Goal
11:45201:29STON 2547Punt
08:40202:36CONN 403-6Punt
04:41201:14STON 1830Punt
01:51201:35STON 25515Punt
15:00301:31STON 2536Punt
11:43302:21STON 734Punt
09:22302:10STON 1231Punt
04:28302:38STON 1544Punt
00:15301:33STON 23548Downs
12:08401:34STON 1035Punt
07:39405:46STON 121488Touchdown
00:37400:22STON 64-3Downs
Boise State Drive Summaries
STARTQTRPOSS.YARDPLAYSYARDSRESULT
06:46100:55BSU 3532Punt
03:46100:42BSU 4637Punt
00:41103:01BSU 16617Punt
09:54201:25BSU 2130Punt
06:25201:22BSU 35565Touchdown
02:33202:01CONN 35635Touchdown
15:00301:59BSU 24518Punt
07:30304:04BSU 21858Field Goal
01:09301:42BSU 20515Punt
12:59401:43BSU 3037Punt
11:10401:51CONN 37437Touchdown
07:42402:35BSU 43518Downs
00:46400:46BSU 271-2End of Game

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Oh how I wish we had Don Brown as our DC. His defense is probably one of the best Uconn has ever had. Kids played with they hair on fire.

9609990.jpeg

Meet Anthony Poindexter. He is our DC and has been doing a terrific job. When our offense gives away multiple TDs a game, it is tough to win. Coach Poindexter's defense just held one of the top offenses in the country to less than 300 total yards and, yes, that was enough for UCONN's problematic offense to out gain them for the game.

I won't even get into what a dynamic recruiter he is and loaded commit class of 2015 we have chock full of NFL sized frames.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Oh how I wish we had Marcus Mariotta as our QB...

Reaction Score
Sorry guys, I was watching BC defense destroy #9 USC last night and it reminded me of when Don Brown was here.

Reaction Score
I like Don Brown. About 4 things I like about BC football ... and he makes it. But that's like putting ice in my soda when I remember PP and that era.

Dooley

Reaction Score
We have a good defense. And they're getting better on a weekly basis.

Week 1 - hold BYU to 35 points (inflated due to offensive turnovers)
Week 2 - no TDs until an Obi blown coverage assignment in the 4th Q
Week 3 - UCONN offense out gained Boise State offense / 14 pts given away by our offensive turnovers

I think we still need to improve at the linebacker level and safety level. But our DL is stout and having Byron Jones lock down 1/2 of the field is a key element to shrinking the field.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The entire secondary needs a lot of work. Especially the safeties. Corners are hot and cold - I've noticed Boise St and BYU receivers burn our slot defensive back/LB in nickel/dime packages.

The front 7 is solid. A few better reads by the LB's and they get some tackle for losses and more sacks. That takes the pressure off the secondary too if the QB is rushed to throw.

Reaction Score
9609990.jpeg

Meet Anthony Poindexter. He is our DC and has been doing a terrific job. When our offense gives away multiple TDs a game, it is tough to win. Coach Poindexter's defense just held one of the top offenses in the country to less than 300 total yards and, yes, that was enough for UCONN's problematic offense to out gain them for the game.

I won't even get into what a dynamic recruiter he is and loaded commit class of 2015 we have chock full of NFL sized frames.

As you know he is co-defensive coordinator with Vincent Brown, so Brown is still our Defensive coordinator, LOL!

9609961.jpeg

Vincent Brown

Hometown:
Atlanta, Ga.
Position:
Co-Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers
Experience:
First Season
Alma Mater:
Mississippi Valley State '88

• Former New England Patriots All-Pro linebacker Vincent Brown is in his first year as the Co-Defensive Coordinator and will have position responsibility with the linebackers. Brown had been a member of the coaching staff at the University of Virginia for the past four seasons.

Brown played for the New England Patriots for eight seasons before retiring in 1995. He earned NFL All-Pro honors in 1991, 1992 and 1993. During his professional career he recorded 16.5 sacks, had 10 interceptions and scored one touchdown. After being selected in the second round of the 1988 NFL Draft, Brown went on to start 103 of 123 career games for the Patriots, logging 811 tackles, 16.5 sacks and 10 interceptions.

Brown worked with the Cavaliers' defensive line in 2013 and the linebackers from 2010-12. He also served as Virginia's assistant special teams coordinator. He was also a graduate assistant at Virginia in 2007 and worked on the same coaching staff there as new UConn head coach Bob Diaco. The Cavaliers played in the Gator Bowl that season.

In 2012, Brown saw senior linebacker Steve Greer earn All-ACC honors after leading the team with 103 total tackles. He finished his career with 357 tackles, the most of any active ACC player during the 2012 season.

Brown came to Virginia after serving as the linebackers coach at Richmond from 2008-09. The Spiders won the 2009 NCAA Football Championship Subdivision National Championship.

He coached Richmond's three starting linebackers in 2009 to all-league honors as the Spiders shared the Colonial Athletic Association crown. Brown guided a corps of linebackers during 2008 with All-American Eric McBride and all-conference pick Collin McConaghy.

Prior to his start in collegiate coaching, Brown served as an inside linebackers coach for the Dallas Cowboys in 2006. His previous coaching experience includes a four-year stint as an assistant coach at Meadowcreek High School near Atlanta. He was also the school's Assistant Athletic Director for one year.

A native of Atlanta, Brown played at Mississippi Valley State where he earned Kodak All-America honors as a senior in 1987. He was a second team AP All-American as a junior. A three-time all-conference pick, he broke the school's record for career tackles with 570 stops while leading the team in tackles his last three seasons. He graduated with a degree in criminal justice.

After being selected in the second round of the 1988 NFL Draft, Brown went on to start 103 of 123 career games for the Patriots, logging 811 tackles, 16.5 sacks and 10 interceptions.

Brown and his wife Chandra have four children, Dane, Vincent II, Raven and Jorian.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The entire secondary needs a lot of work. Especially the safeties. Corners are hot and cold - I've noticed Boise St and BYU receivers burn our slot defensive back/LB in nickel/dime packages.

The front 7 is solid. A few better reads by the LB's and they get some tackle for losses and more sacks. That takes the pressure off the secondary too if the QB is rushed to throw.

Good points on the corners.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, our corners don't do a good job of turning around and finding the ball while it's in the air. Overall, the corners are good.

The safeties, mostly Obi, aren't good (okay, bad) at covering WR's. Hopefully some of it was schemes where the coaches had more confidence in the players than their ability dictates. Good coaching can change that.

LB's are fine overall. There's always room for improvement, especially in pass coverage, but they're performing above average as a group.

For all the mistakes we're pointing out the big picture numbers don't lie. BYU has torn up everyone so far, it completely shut down Stony's offense and was well above average against BSU.

And most of the credit goes to the coaching staff identifying players for the schemes they want to run.

Reaction Score
I admit, I was never a fan of Brown's defense. I can see the appeal in college when you have a ton of talent. You just put the screws to the opposition b attacking and pressuring them. If you don't have enough across the board talent, you're going to get burned. He wasn't right for UConn. That great BC defense of his got ripped apart by Pitt last week.

Dooley

Reaction Score
As you know he is co-defensive coordinator with Vincent Brown, so Brown is still our Defensive coordinator, LOL!

9609961.jpeg

Vincent Brown

Hometown:
Atlanta, Ga.
Position:
Co-Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers
Experience:
First Season
Alma Mater:
Mississippi Valley State '88

• Former New England Patriots All-Pro linebacker Vincent Brown is in his first year as the Co-Defensive Coordinator and will have position responsibility with the linebackers. Brown had been a member of the coaching staff at the University of Virginia for the past four seasons.

Brown played for the New England Patriots for eight seasons before retiring in 1995. He earned NFL All-Pro honors in 1991, 1992 and 1993. During his professional career he recorded 16.5 sacks, had 10 interceptions and scored one touchdown. After being selected in the second round of the 1988 NFL Draft, Brown went on to start 103 of 123 career games for the Patriots, logging 811 tackles, 16.5 sacks and 10 interceptions.

Brown worked with the Cavaliers' defensive line in 2013 and the linebackers from 2010-12. He also served as Virginia's assistant special teams coordinator. He was also a graduate assistant at Virginia in 2007 and worked on the same coaching staff there as new UConn head coach Bob Diaco. The Cavaliers played in the Gator Bowl that season.

In 2012, Brown saw senior linebacker Steve Greer earn All-ACC honors after leading the team with 103 total tackles. He finished his career with 357 tackles, the most of any active ACC player during the 2012 season.

Brown came to Virginia after serving as the linebackers coach at Richmond from 2008-09. The Spiders won the 2009 NCAA Football Championship Subdivision National Championship.

He coached Richmond's three starting linebackers in 2009 to all-league honors as the Spiders shared the Colonial Athletic Association crown. Brown guided a corps of linebackers during 2008 with All-American Eric McBride and all-conference pick Collin McConaghy.

Prior to his start in collegiate coaching, Brown served as an inside linebackers coach for the Dallas Cowboys in 2006. His previous coaching experience includes a four-year stint as an assistant coach at Meadowcreek High School near Atlanta. He was also the school's Assistant Athletic Director for one year.

A native of Atlanta, Brown played at Mississippi Valley State where he earned Kodak All-America honors as a senior in 1987. He was a second team AP All-American as a junior. A three-time all-conference pick, he broke the school's record for career tackles with 570 stops while leading the team in tackles his last three seasons. He graduated with a degree in criminal justice.

After being selected in the second round of the 1988 NFL Draft, Brown went on to start 103 of 123 career games for the Patriots, logging 811 tackles, 16.5 sacks and 10 interceptions.

Brown and his wife Chandra have four children, Dane, Vincent II, Raven and Jorian.

Former Patriots need no introduction around here! :)

Reaction Score
I admit, I was never a fan of Brown's defense. I can see the appeal in college when you have a ton of talent. You just put the screws to the opposition b attacking and pressuring them. If you don't have enough across the board talent, you're going to get burned. He wasn't right for UConn. That great BC defense of his got ripped apart by Pitt last week.

I liked Brown, I liked his system, and I liked the way the players responded to him. He seemed very out of place on the P/GDL staff.

I like his system because I believe that, against good teams, you have to force mistakes. You can't sit back and wait for one. I was OK giving up a big play or two in order to not get picked apart by good QBs. I think the lack of turnovers generated during his second year here was an anomaly, but I also think that he didn't teach players to go for the ball when tackling.

In any event, it seems that the current staff has a good idea of what they're doing on defense. If we could just find someone who could rush the passer from the edge we could be very good.

Reaction Score
Good points on the corners.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, our corners don't do a good job of turning around and finding the ball while it's in the air. Overall, the corners are good.

The safeties, mostly Obi, aren't good (okay, bad) at covering WR's. Hopefully some of it was schemes where the coaches had more confidence in the players than their ability dictates. Good coaching can change that.

LB's are fine overall. There's always room for improvement, especially in pass coverage, but they're performing above average as a group.

For all the mistakes we're pointing out the big picture numbers don't lie. BYU has torn up everyone so far, it completely shut down Stony's offense and was well above average against BSU.

And most of the credit goes to the coaching staff identifying players for the schemes they want to run.

I might be full of hot air, but I chalk this up to the following: I think since day 1, Diaco has been consistent with establishing a program that is going to make sure everything is being done with the purpose of - I think his words - something to the effect - "Not doing things that cause you to lose." Sooner or later, that has to, MUST, turn into doing things that cause you to win, and hopefully we're getting close now. He has without a doubt transformed this team, with his energy and approach, into a team that fights. That's really awesome. I love it.

The only rationale, I can come up with, for doing the kinds of things we've been doing with large scale substitutions, and game time, stuff I've seen, through the "prepatory" phase, is to drill, practice, and perfect the basics of procedural football. I just don't buy the evaluation angle - these coaches know what they have, and knew what they had, prior to season start.

Getting procedural stuff, and dead ball stuff down rote, is a basic discipline of a successful football team that I think is "not doing things that cause you to lose." Substitution issues, false start penalties, cuckoo use of timeouts due to procedural stuff, confusion on the field during dead ball time, dead ball penalties for stupid stuff. Can't have that, if you want to win , and win regularly. And for the most part, we haven't. Not that easy to do, when you are rotating 50 players on 0 and 25 players on D, and it was something that was rampant, as recently as late last season. So that's, huge improvement.

The issue, I think we are seeing, is management of practice time. You can't spend a whole lot of time, on the basics of technique and coverage and leverage, for the defensive backs, when you are spending a ton of practice time, on understanding personnel groupings, formations, and getting your assignments right with multiple substitutions. It's the same for the OL, I think, and the backs, and the offense. When you are practicing and focusing on getting personnel groupings right, then understanding the play call, and hopefully getting your assignment right, there isn't time for honing in the basic fundamentals.

We're 1-2, and we're seeing improvement, but it's got to turn into wins.

Here's my silver lining. This is a road trip now, for Friday night, and you can't suit up and bring the entire roster, so no matter what, Diaco will be limited as to what he can do with substitutions and personnel groupings when we take the field in Tampa. That's good. Hopefully, during the week, on O and D, since we will only have a travel squad with us, they will practice a little bit differently than they have been in the past 3 games, and will really focus on technique, with their assignments, rather than just getting personnel groupings, the play call and assignments right.

I hope that we are 2-2 when Friday turns into Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom