bball schools | The Boneyard

bball schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if there was ever a time when they decided to make the move and go for it, its now!

recently the nova/gtown rumors about making a bball league came out and about but becuase fball isn't a sport it didn't get alot of attention. gtown is great this year and nova is rebuilding, but a solid program none the less. for years besides those 2 the schools in the BE have been a sorry bunch. maybe take marq out of that group but they aren't a nova/gtown level.

-gotwn/nova are big time programs
-marq is solid and is easily a ncaat team 6 out of 10 years for argument sake
-prov has been dead for a while, huge building going on up there, EC is recruiting his off and its showing quickly, they can be a good program again in a bball focused league
-depaul was deal, and now they are on a upswing as well
-shu has been down more than up and they are also on a upswing now.
-sju was down and now with time will be back, we say last year what they can do with just a good team, they excite a small % in nyc which is big for that type of league

those 7 can be the rock for a league, i would argue that those 7 alone would be a 3-4 bid league a year if you added a 8th team that was nothing special. gtown/nova can carry a league if needed and the other 5 are all now coming back to life at the same time, something that hasn't been seen in a long time.

but now they have to go for the kill, go for other teams in big markets, expnd the footprint and qaulity on the court.
-you don't add another phili team(ppl screm for temple), they already have that mk, it would make $$ sense.
-ppl lauh at this but a boston team like BU brings that market, maybe its a small follwoing right now, but give it 5 years with that schools size and the lack of interest in sports at BCU. they would be a good project school with huge market potential and a local team for Prov to rival.
-you need to get into ohio, xavier or dayton, pick 1 for now, i say xavier. if your still looking for another then revisit dayton becuase its another market
-pitt is gone, get the mk back with Duq
-st louis helps marq rival/travel wise
-butlers stock has never been higher, + the mk, grab them.
-tell nd no thanks period
-you goto 16 becuase you learned that 16 can work schedule wise and $$ wise if its schools with the same missions.

nova/gtown/shu/sju/prov/dep/marq=7
but/stl/duq/xavier/bu=5
thats 13 now look around again
-maybe you go for some upstate ny schools like siena, can and st bonie
-they have nothing in CT, they look at maybe Quinn/Hart. if siena was a no then these are no goes as well. If siena was a yes then maybe you grab CT with a Fairfield U(thats 1mil tvs in FC and some in NH/Hart).
-uri looks like a good idea, but you already have the mk, see phili
-DC is covered with gtownn, sorry GWash
-is drake a possibility? iowa would be expanding the mk and help the west teams, they have been a good program lately??
-wichita state would be another interesting one to look at
-umass would be a good mk add with a program that could fit, but the fball upgrade would put them in a different mission then these schools eventually
-creighton would also be worth a look if a east/west travel idea was important
-would a north cary school like davidson expand the footprint/$$, can they get us a good mk value?
-memphis would be a big add, but they like umass have the fball thing slowly developing
-how about a VA school like richmond(fball thing eventually) or a W&M??

My Guess to the Big East in 2015
-bball in round robin with 15 and 3 rival games for 18. other sports are divisional e/w
east-nova/gtown/sju/shu/prov/bu/old d/duq
west-marq/dep/but/xavier/stl/wichita/crei/drake

what do you think? what teams would you make the BE=16?

Reaction Score
Stop...please. The fact that a couple of teams are having good years doesn't mean they'll do it long term. Even the PC AD admits that if someone is really successful there, he's gone. Same with all of those schools...If,and I think it is a big if, Seton Hall makes a serious run over the next couple of years, you really think they'll keep their coach? Heck, they might not keep him for next season if they get to the tournament this year. Um, St Johns is not exactly scaring anyone this year. they had a good month last year. Georgetown is good, but hardly great. They get more milage out of Pat Ewing and a 1-2 record in the NCAA finals than most. Villanova is awful this year, were awful the second half of last year, and we'll see if they turn it around or not. they get more milage out of a 25 plus year old championship than I can believe.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I think Nova is looked at more favorably due to their recent string of successful years in which they were a Sweet 16 team in 2005 and 2008, an Elite Eight team in 2006 and a Final Four team in 2009. Plus Jay Wright is just one helluva good recruiter.

Obviously just my opinion, but I'm note sure how many 16-18 year olds being recruited today are all that interested in a lone title that is almost twice as old as they are.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Nova is looked at more favorably due to their recent string of successful years in which they were a Sweet 16 team in 2005 and 2008, an Elite Eight team in 2006 and a Final Four team in 2009. Plus Jay Wright is just one helluva good recruiter.

Obviously just my opinion, but I'm note sure how many 16-18 year olds being recruited today are all that interested in a lone title that is almost twice as old as they are.

Agreed. Down year this year is all. We've had them too. Georgetown is good, has a good coach and will continue to be relevant.

I think the OP has this mostly right, although there's no need to go all the way to St. Louis. St. Joes would be better, or even UMass. This is what they should be thinking about. The hybrid experiment needs to be put away.

Reaction Score
I agree that the hybrid just doesn't work. Too many different interests. Too many different philosophies resuts in an organization that can neither work quickly enough nor really agree on goals and priorities. I don't knock the basketball schools, by the way. I don't think they get how important the football schools were to the success of Big East basketball, but I understnd their position. The real problem is that you have major universities with major multi-facetted athletic programs and smaller ones with smaller one/two dimensional programs trying to play in the same league.

But I am completely convinced that a Big East basketball only league would ultimately be the A-10 by another name. A few top 10-20 teams each year, maybe an occassional deep run, but over all a low major/high mid-major that won't be able to compete long term.

Reaction Score
Never gonna happen, as long as the BCS exists in place of a standard playoff system for a national championship. The catholics splitting on their own, the only thing the catholics do by splitting, is get up from the big money table, and never be able to get their seat back. They know it very well by now.

The only time they've ever seriously considered a split to my knowledge was in the early 1990s up until 1994, it almost happened, but luckily for the big east b-ball programs, Notre Dame decided they wanted a conference for scheduling everything but football, and the football schools were satisfied to get scheduling with Notre Dame. Notre Dame has been leading the way for a conference that has been content in keeping it's seat at the big money table in intercollegiate athletics by maintaining a revolving door football existence. They had to go all the way to pacific ocean this time though, there won't be a next time, and they know it.

If I had been in the room when Tranghese said the problem with big east football, is that they didn't win enough, I may have had to been restrained from breaking his nose.

Regular top 5 programs, regular national championship games up until 2002, close to a national championship game twice since 2002, with teams ranked in the top 10 regularly even in the 2000s decade after Miami gave the league the big middle finger and pulled VTech and BC away in their wake.

If there is ever a split, during the existence of the BCS, it will be driven by football.

Reaction Score
-DC is covered with gtownn, sorry GWash

George Washington has a bigger problem than conference realignment. GW has to figure out how they apparently got a coach who had succeeded at two lower levels but who can't get the results out of his players that Karl Hobbs did. I had always thought that Hobbs was not a particularly good coach (he had success as a recruiter before GW clamped down on whom he could bring in but I didn't love him as a coach), but Lonergan's problems are making me reevaluate.[/quote]

Reaction Score
It is the football schools that need to break off, not the BB schools. It is the FB schools whose best interests are not being served by the conference. Unfortunately, the opportunity to break away is gone, again. They missed the chance in 2002 and it looks like they missed it again in 2009/2010. Maybe it will happen before the next round of FB school exits happen in the next 5-10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom