Bazz video | The Boneyard

Bazz video

Reaction Score
This popped up on my Twitter feed this morning and makes me ponder why Bazz cannot stick around in NBA.

No matter what though, he will always be my No.1 favorite player because what he accomplished in UConn thru adversity and odds against us, his loyalty, attitude and swagger! I’m happy for him to make the best of it in overseas.

Reaction Score
Amazing… he was amazing at uconn too… the only reason i can see that he isn’t playing in the nba is his size on defense… even though he picks a lot of pockets

Reaction Score
Never know.. If Lillard makes it to Miami and Pat R has to give up a lot of his young talent in the trade.. Maybe DL can put in the good word-- for his former teammate-- on an affordable contract for a veteran backup PG..

Reaction Score
This popped up on my Twitter feed this morning and makes me ponder why Bazz cannot stick around in NBA.

No matter what though, he will always be my No.1 favorite player because what he accomplished in UConn thru adversity and odds against us, his loyalty, attitude and swagger! I’m happy for him to make the best of it in overseas.

Bazz did everything right, sometimes you just don't have the size and strength to compete at that level. It's one thing to be a slow 7-footer, or even 6'7... but there are SO MANY 6'0 guards in the world compared to bigger players. You're just not going to find a place in the league unless you're an absolute freak athlete or are freakishly skilled.

Are there any 6-foot guards left starting in the league? Chris Paul I guess?

Reaction Score
IMG_1292.gif

*watch the whole video tho; it’s awesome…

Reaction Score
I never fully understood why he didn't stick around the NBA. He was having a career year before the Covid pause, then was never signed again. Hard for me to think of 30 better backup PGs in the NBA back then or even now. I guess living in Italy isn't too bad either though :)

Happy belated birthday Shabazz!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I never fully understood why he didn't stick around the NBA. He was having a career year before the Covid pause, then was never signed again. Hard for me to think of 30 better backup PGs in the NBA back then or even now. I guess living in Italy isn't too bad either though :)

Happy belated birthday Shabazz!
Yeah I can’t see how guys like Ish Smith are better than him. Hell, most of the Celtics backup PGs who around the same size either.

Can probably find a pretty good list of backup PGs he’s better than.

Reaction Score
Bazz is basketball famous, and not just in Connecticut. Just saying.

Reaction Score
He was really solid as a 3rd guard in Portland and Dame and McCollum seemed to like him. Never really understood why they let him go

Reaction Score
Bazz did everything right, sometimes you just don't have the size and strength to compete at that level. It's one thing to be a slow 7-footer, or even 6'7... but there are SO MANY 6'0 guards in the world compared to bigger players. You're just not going to find a place in the league unless you're an absolute freak athlete or are freakishly skilled.

Jalen Brunson

Reaction Score
Jalen Brunson

Yeah, that's what Shabazz could've been.. I think an inch or two taller and 15lbs stronger and he would've been there. It happens.

Shabazz gets to play a game making more than most people in their lifetimes by the time he's 35 and retires. I think he'll be okay with that in the long run.

Reaction Score

Brunson is listed at 6-1, so that's a comp

Reaction Score

FVV is listed at 6'1" but his physical profile and college rep always reminded me of Bazz. Dude is getting 130Ms to shoot below 40% too...

Reaction Score

Kyle Lowry? Not sure if he started many games but played a lot in the Finals.

Reaction Score
Chris Paul might not even be starting for long. The Warriors seem to want him coming off the bench, although he did not seem on board with that in his introductory press conference

Reaction Score
not too shabby, Bazz just inked a two year deal with 2mil + per year.

Good to see him to get rewarded since he worked so hard and have fun in euro league.

Wow, that's more than I figured you could make in Serbia. Good deal.

Reaction Score

Thanks for posting this Shabazz news and tribute. He is my favorite all-time UConn player as well because of his all-round game: leadership first and foremost during his junior and senior years, playmaking, driving ability, defensive ability to get steals leading to easy buckets and his willingness to take and ability to make clutch, game changing shots. With all due respect (and thanks) to Tate George and Kemba who each had real big-time game winners in tournaments, I remember Shabazz as the most prolific clutch shot maker during my years following the program.

Although not as heralded as some big games, I fondly remember a game at Gampel against South Florida during the 2012-2013 season. USF was playing well and had some players consistently hitting 3-point shots to help them control good stretches of the game. After UConn was able to push the game into overtime, during our first two possessions, Shabazz confidently brought the ball down court, pulled up and hit two consecutive 3-pointers to take a 6-point lead. USF was demoralized and the game was over!

Then in December 2013, there was that last second game winner against then number 1-rated Florida at Gampel. And as a finishing touch, there was his determination and consistent, high level play to win in the 2014 NCAA Tournament games. St. Joseph's Univ. Coach Phil Martelli commented during a halftime TV interview that he was concerned about the look Napier had in his eyes as he watched Shabazz heading to the locker room at halftime. One of the star Michigan State guards also commented after the game that he could see from the look in Napier's eyes that Shabazz was not going to let his team lose. During game-deciding time down the stretch in the NCAA Championship game against Kentucky, Shabazz dribbled down the court, pulled up at the top of the key and drilled a 3-point dagger; in another similar conversion from defense to offense near the end of that game, he found Giffey in the corner for another 3-pointer dagger.

During one of his on-air WTIC radio shows during Shabazz's final year at UConn, even Joe D'Ambrosio remarked that he had not seen any other UConn player who had more clutch, game-winning shots at crunch times.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not to be a jerk about this but did it say euros? Serbia isn't in the EU and euros aren't the standard currency there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom