Bazz/Lamb vs Bouk/Gaffney | The Boneyard

Bazz/Lamb vs Bouk/Gaffney

Reaction Score
Who do you think was/is a better Freshman duo.

Lamb was a bit bigger than Bouk. Bouk may be a bit better on the ball. Tough to say really. Lamb may of been a better defender. Again, tough to say. In both cases their games really came together late in the year. Lamb definitely in the tournament. Bouk probably wont get that chance. Like Lamb, Bouk probably wont be around forever. Both are very athletic.

Bazz shot a bit better than Gaffney. Gaffney is a bit bigger. Also, Bazz had the Kemba crutch and was a bit shakier with the ball early on in his career. Gaffney is more comfortable running the team. Bazz didn't get there until he was forced to do so as a sophomore.

Regardless, i was happy with Bazz/Lamb and I'm happy with Bouk/Gaffney

Reaction Score
If talking about freshman Bazz. I would say our current duo but close. Freshman Bazz better than Gaff but Bouk is the best of all as a first year player.

Reaction Score
Both bazz and lamb were all rookie.

Bouk will be but gaff is doubtful. Jury is still out on his D and ballhandling/half court penetration

so my vote is Bazz Lamb over this years frosh duo

Reaction Score
Lamb/Bazz at this point so far. Bazz won multiple championships, lamb helped w 1. Both are also on NBA rosters. Gaffney has to develop for it to be a discussion IMO. He’s currently averaging 3.9 points a game on 33% shooting on a borderline NIT team. Having said that, he has shown growth and development as the season has progressed. Just need more.

Reaction Score
Bazz shot a bit better than Gaffney. Gaffney is a bit bigger. Also, Bazz had the Kemba crutch and was a bit shakier with the ball early on in his career. Gaffney is more comfortable running the team. Bazz didn't get there until he was forced to do so as a sophomore.

I don't know, I think freshman Shabazz Napier, who looked pretty comfortable ripping Arizona's guards in the backcourt of an elite 8 game and playing with Kentucky's guards in a Final Four would have been up to the task of running the show against East Carolina.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Let's see if Bouk/Gaffney led teams win something before any comparatives as a duo are made
If you are talking about individuals:
Gaff - not close to Bazz but lets see as time goes on. Bazz averaged more pts, steals, asts and reb in about the same minutes against better comp in the OBE during freshman year
Bouk - among the top freshmen in the nation. In comparative to Lamb freshman stats - Lamb averaged 2 less pts per game but had better rebounding assist and less turn overs. granted Lamb came on stronger during tournament so that has to be considered. They are very similar.
Bouk ranks behind Rip Hamilton in consistency, stats and Rip played against a higher level of competition in his freshman year, If he comes close to Rip's 2nd and 3rd years then he will be something special - but those are big numbers. Remember Rip was BE all freshman team and All Big East 1st team all defensive team as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind Bazz and Lamb had Kemba. They didn't have the same luxury the following year and they were very disappointing as a team.... with bigs that were significantly better than our current bigs

Reaction Score
Lamb had 11/5 & 49% from the field his freshman year
Bazz 8/3apg & 37% from the field w/ over 1.5 spg.

They both statistically & impact wise are superior to the two we have now.

Let’s just enjoy our current blessings without such lofty comparisons
I don’t think they are lofty expectations. We aren’t comparing them to soph, junior, senior, NBA bazz and lamb. Bouknight is clearly the best freshman of the 4. If Gaffney had Kemba who knows how close he’d be to freshman Bazz. It’s a fair conversation

Reaction Score
Let's see if Bouk/Gaffney led teams win something before any comparatives as a duo are made
If you are talking about individuals:
Gaff - not close to Bazz but lets see as time goes on. Bazz averaged more pts, steals, asts and reb in about the same minutes against better comp in the OBE during freshman year
Bouk - among the top freshmen in the nation. In comparative to Lamb freshman stats - Lamb averaged 2 less pts per game but had better rebounding assist and less turn overs. granted Lamb came on stronger during tournament so that has to be considered. They are very similar.
Bouk ranks behind Rip Hamilton in consistency, stats and Rip played against a higher level of competition in his freshman year, If he comes close to Rip's 2nd and 3rd years then he will be something special - but those are big numbers. Remember Rip was BE all freshman team and All Big East 1st team all defensive team as a freshman.
Rip or “Clamps “ as he called himself was not considered great defensively except in his own mind. He did shut down a pretty good player once and let his teammates know about it but still got no respect. Actually he was decent but since he was so good offensively his buddies had to get on him about something.

Reaction Score
Lol. Gaff is the weakest of the four and Bazz the strongest. Lamb and Bazz played in rigorous Big East facing tougher competition. There's your answer.

Reaction Score
I disagree that bazz is/was a better freshman than Bouk
Honestly, this post is a waste. Bazz played behind Kemba. Bouknight is starting his Freshman year. Bazz was special and grew to be that guy that couldn't be stopped on his way to delivering a NC. Bouk has the potential to be special. I'd like to revisit this post a year or two from now. LOL

Reaction Score
Bouknights strength is finishing within 3 feet of the basket. He needs work on his defense and outside shooting. If it's a big game, give me Shabazz hands down. He has the intangibles.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Please make it stop.

Let's just enjoy the rebuild and not compare these guys to truly great college players.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I can't remember much of freshman Bazz. All I remember is that he seemed to have a hard time with his handle at first. My memory is overwhelmed by NATIONAL CHAMPION Bazz/Lamb.

Maybe it's the situation, I do know that I am much more excited about Bouk/Gaff. Probably because they contribute much more to winning that freshman Bazz/Lamb

Reaction Score
The thing I will always remember about Shabazz is how much of a pest he was on defense as a freshmen. He seemed like he was good for at least one steal and layup a game even playing limited minutes.

pj

Reaction Score
The thing I will always remember about Shabazz is how much of a pest he was on defense as a freshmen. He seemed like he was good for at least one steal and layup a game even playing limited minutes.

Some people here called him the reacharound bandit. But freshman Bazz's coach, who was a pretty good coach, was often irate at his risky attempts at steals that frequently led to defensive breakdowns.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Keep in mind Bazz and Lamb had Kemba. They didn't have the same luxury the following year and they were very disappointing as a team.... with bigs that were significantly better than our current bigs
Had nothing to with not having Kemba the following year, had to do with chemistry and egos

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I can't remember much of freshman Bazz. All I remember is that he seemed to have a hard time with his handle at first. My memory is overwhelmed by NATIONAL CHAMPION Bazz/Lamb.

Maybe it's the situation, I do know that I am much more excited about Bouk/Gaff. Probably because they contribute much more to winning that freshman Bazz/Lamb
We don’t win the championship without those two.

pj

Reaction Score
We don’t win the championship without those two.

Still a miracle that that team won a title, with Kemba, sophomore Oriakhi (a good not great big), freshman Lamb, freshman Bazz, and freshman Roscoe Smith.

Then another miracle in 2014.

I saw both championships happen, and I still don't believe they are possible.

Reaction Score
Who do you think was/is a better Freshman duo.

Lamb was a bit bigger than Bouk. Bouk may be a bit better on the ball. Tough to say really. Lamb may of been a better defender. Again, tough to say. In both cases their games really came together late in the year. Lamb definitely in the tournament. Bouk probably wont get that chance. Like Lamb, Bouk probably wont be around forever. Both are very athletic.

Regardless, i was happy with Bazz/Lamb and I'm happy with Bouk/Gaffney
Oddly. Bazz and gaff were backing up McD’s All Americans too.

Reaction Score

He played 25 minutes a game as a freshman. In the Big East. I like Gaffney and I like his potential but these teams we're playing these days stink by comparison.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom