Baylor | The Boneyard

Baylor

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Can you imagine any place in America feeling as good as Waco right now?

They were one bad call away (maybe putting this on a UConn board isn't gonna be met kindly tho) from possibly winning a title in both men's and women's basketball in the same year, and considering they won the previous National title in women's basketball anyways.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They would've had to win 2 more games if they did beat UConn. There is absolutely NO guarantee they would've done that. Quite a stretch to imply they nearly pulled off the two-fer. No, they weren't close.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
They would've had to win 2 more games if they did beat UConn. There is absolutely NO guarantee they would've done that. Quite a stretch to imply they nearly pulled off the two-fer. No, they weren't close.
I dont think it's a stretch at all...they were a missed no-call and FTs away from the Final Four and would've had a strong shot to win against either team IMO. OP isn't suggesting it would be a guarantee or that they'd even be the favorite, just that the chance to win it all was there, which they absolutely would have had a good shot.

Reaction Score
Baylor was great but not as good as previous teams. Lack of outside shooting and no true PG limit them this year. Didn't mean they weren't capable of winning it this year but didn't make enough plays to advance in the tournament.

kinda cool though when your men and women’s basketball program win national titles within a few years of each other. Good time to be a basketball fan in Waco.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yup, Baylor was 80 minutes 07 seconds away from maybe winning men's and women's championships in the same year ... just so close. Then they were one free throw make from losing in the S16, so close to matching MD's complete ignominy! The agony and ecstasy of sports.

Duke actually played in two championship games in 1999 and lost them both :cool: (Uconn helped a little on the men's side!)

Uconn has done it twice, and it is sweet.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There was no guarantee Carrington was going to hit either one of her free throws against UConn.

Reaction Score
I dont think it's a stretch at all...they were a missed no-call and FTs away from the Final Four and would've had a strong shot to win against either team IMO. OP isn't suggesting it would be a guarantee or that they'd even be the favorite, just that the chance to win it all was there, which they absolutely would have had a good shot.
I think one missed call from being national champions is a huge stretch.

They were not better than Stanford. I have no idea how they would have matched up with Arizona.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think one missed call from being national champions is a huge stretch.

They were not better than Stanford. I have no idea how they would have matched up with Arizona.
OP said possibly and didn't imply they would have won or were the best team. Just playing a hypothetical and bringing the point to light. And we don't know how they would've fared vs Arizona or Stanford.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Kim’s lack of development of the young point guards Baylor has will cost her down the line, to me it seems like bringing in Jackson, Cooper, and Carrington back to back to back got her used to having experience in the backcourt, that could be a reason she stuck with DiDi at point guard this season. She will have Carr and McDaniel on the roster next year, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Kim bring in another guard graduate transfer if one she likes becomes available.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Kim’s lack of development of the young point guards Baylor has will cost her down the line, to me it seems like bringing in Jackson, Cooper, and Carrington back to back to back got her used to having experience in the backcourt, that could be a reason she stuck with DiDi at point guard this season. She will have Carr and McDaniel on the roster next year, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Kim bring in another guard graduate transfer if one she likes becomes available.
She's gonna have to develop Andrews and Owens. But the transfer portal may continue to work out for her in regards to multiple guard positions. She's 3/3 in the production of her new additions. Seems like she will be focusing more on wings and shooting guards soon

Reaction Score
She's gonna have to develop Andrews and Owens. But the transfer portal may continue to work out for her in regards to multiple guard positions. She's 3/3 in the production of her new additions. Seems like she will be focusing more on wings and shooting guards soon
We don’t need any more transfers to come in! Lol

Reaction Score
We don’t need any more transfers to come in! Lol
Not this year. But after next year. They lose Queen and Smith. Possibly Ursin if she stays and maybe Kamaria. Oliver and Bickle as well. If she don't pick up on recruiting. Then she's will be digging in the portal next off-season. Mainly for depth.

Reaction Score
Hey the Lady Bears fell short. But the Baylor men, oh my goodness, made up for it. Historical butt whooping. I'm happy with two national championships two years apart.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Historical butt whooping
It was certainly a whooping. Historical? Because they prevented GU from having a perfect season? It certainly wasn't the largest margin in a Championship Game. 1990 UNLV vs. Duke says hello (sorry @triaddukefan ). While it was only a 17 point final margin, I remember 2009 North Carolina vs. Michigan St. being way more lopsided than last night's game. UNC was up by 21 at the half in that one and I'm pretty sure the lead was more than 30 at some point in the game. MSU put some window dressing on it but they got demolished.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine any place in America feeling as good as Waco right now?

They were one bad call away (maybe putting this on a UConn board isn't gonna be met kindly tho) from possibly winning a title in both men's and women's basketball in the same year, and considering they won the previous National title in women's basketball anyways.
Wait a minute Baylor was 3 games away from possible winning a title. Just the same as if I say High Point is a few games away from possible winning the national title.

Your post must be very popular in Baylor message board, why don't you post in there.

Reaction Score
Says the guy whose team hung a banner proclaiming themselves as the #1 Team without playing any games...:rolleyes:
You mean by playing 33 games and losing only to a ranked Indiana while beating UConn, Baylor Maryland and Miss State?

Reaction Score
It was certainly a whooping. Historical? Because they prevented GU from having a perfect season?
Yes. That's one reason.

I wasn't talking about mov but since you bring that up... Both of the examples you hold up as examples of bigger "butt whoopin's" involve higher seeded teams beating lower seeds. I doubt the losers of either game were favored. Baylor was 4.5 point underdog and won by 16. I think that qualifies as a historic upset even though both we're No.1 seeds. Just ask the bettors today.

Reaction Score
It's Waco. They don't actually feel good. They just use sports to try to momentarily forget that they live in Waco.
fixer upper GIF

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm old enough to remember when members of the Baylor men's basketball team were literally murdering each other and the head coach resigned in disgrace after he was caught trying to frame the dead player as a drug dealer to cover up the coach's unlawful payments to said player. So yeah, these are better days for Baylor men's basketball.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I've got no wombat in this fight, but I'd bet a buffalo nickel that the thread count of the jacket Kim threw was a lot higher than that of Dawn's banner.

Congratulations to the Baylor men's team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom