Baylor Leads the Nation in Scoring Margin, UConn is Eighth | The Boneyard

Baylor Leads the Nation in Scoring Margin, UConn is Eighth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not that it matters, but that will change during conference play.

Reaction Score
I can't remember a year where more of the top ranked played so many patsies. These stats aren't worth a hill of beans.

For the sake of clarity, exactly how high is that hill and what kind of beans are we talking about?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Half of the B12 is ranked.

But more importantly, UConn moves from a tough OOC to an easy conference schedule.

Last time I checked Mississippi State is still ranked fourth in the nation which brings us back to worthless statsville. No idea what UConn's schedule has to do with this but I'm sure someone will fill me in.

Reaction Score
Last time I checked Mississippi State is still ranked fourth in the nation which brings us back to worthless statsville. No idea what UConn's schedule has to do with this but I'm sure someone will fill me in.

UConn's scoring margin has been hurt by the difficulty of their out of conference schedule..........as you might have noticed, UConn seems to be winning their conference games by a much bigger margin.............hope that trend extends to USF...................

Reaction Score
Meh, to quote the late Pat Summit "you only need to win by one."[/QUOTE
I used to tell my team I would be upset if we only score 2 points but if the score was 2-0 and we won I'd be ok

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We've fared well and had great battles against premier competition OOC. Most other teams in the AAC will give uconn the kinds of games we had with UCF and ECU rather than Maryland or FSU.

But indeed, any win against USF will make me happy. I want one more chapter of history written: a 91-game (or longer?) winning streak!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Obviously SOS impacts scoring margin. So too does your bench. I would suggest that Baylor has a much deeper & more talented bench than UConn which allows them to run up the score in mismatches.

Of course you can only play 5 players at a time, and our best 5 is better than their best 5.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have said before that I don't use stats to make a statement about how good Baylor is. I suspect that after UCONN goes through a conference that is more suited for the JV league that UCONN can lead the league in scoring margin and everyone can start bragging about it as if it is some sort of accomplishment to beat you conference foes by an average of 50 points.

But I can tell you this, that when Baylor empties the bench they are still better than their opponents. Through four conference games Baylor is winning by an average of 37 points, including a bench emptying game 30 point win against KSU, a team that UCONN beat by only 17 points and had to play the starters all but 19 minutes to do so.

Enjoy taking shots at Baylor. That only tells me that there is some worry about how much better they have gotten as the year as progressed and what sort of challenge they will pose.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Enjoy taking shots at Baylor. That only tells me that there is some worry about how much better they have gotten as the year as progressed and what sort of challenge they will pose.

On paper (now reinforced by MOV stats), Baylor has the best team. We all know that games are not played on paper. I like our chances.;)

Reaction Score
I have said before that I don't use stats to make a statement about how good Baylor is. I suspect that after UCONN goes through a conference that is more suited for the JV league that UCONN can lead the league in scoring margin and everyone can start bragging about it as if it is some sort of accomplishment to beat you conference foes by an average of 50 points.

But I can tell you this, that when Baylor empties the bench they are still better than their opponents. Through four conference games Baylor is winning by an average of 37 points, including a bench emptying game 30 point win against KSU, a team that UCONN beat by only 17 points and had to play the starters all but 19 minutes to do so.

I worry about Baylor - who wouldn't? But, I like to think that almost all the top teams get better over the course of the season - not just one.

Reaction Score
If UCONN wins every game including the NC game, would any of this matter??? Uhhhhhhhhh....NO!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - lets talk after you play KSU on the road - should be an easy win, but I doubt the 30 point MOV in Waco.

MOV in blow outs is also a product of how the team approaches the second half - Uconn often works on different types of defense, almost never traps or presses, and stops almost all fast break/transition offense, preferring to work on specific things in their half court sets. A lot of other teams do not make those kinds of 'slow down' changes to offense or defense. I noticed for example in that 100+ point win, Baylor was still jacking up shots with 20 seconds left on the shot clock and still running out in transition whether it was the back of the bench playing or not.

On the same site - Baylor's SOS is still down at #52 while their RPI is at #6. And FYI, the number two team in MOV currently is Maryland with a SOS of #122 and an RPI of #22, followed by SC at #10 and #3, Washington at #40 and #9, Miss St at #40 and #4, and FSU at #11 and #7. Uconn at #7 in scoring margin comes in at #1 in SOS and RPI.

Interesting to note Sagarin has now moved Baylor into the #1 position above Uconn at #2 - rather odd and based on MOV only it appears since the only value that has Baylor #1 is the 'predictor' that is purely points based - recent, golden mean, SOS all still have Uconn #1. I have been noticing some really strange things in the Sagarin rankings this year - Michigan he has listed at #14 at 13-4 with the best win being Gonzaga (35) and losses to Xavier (133), Ohio St (15), UCLA (13) and FSU (7) and an SOS of 115.

Massey's still has Uconn firmly at #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog