Baylor hire? | The Boneyard

Baylor hire?

Reaction Score
Initial comment from the AD, I believe, was that he'd have a hire within a week. Dunno if he's backed off that.

I saw an article somewhere, perhaps in a Waco paper, that had contenders and were mostly names we had already discussed:
the two current assistants, KBA, Joni Taylor, Adia but also added in Megan Duffy and the former assistant who was just named coach at SMU

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Baylor board listed the names above. Where they got it from is unknown. The AD did say he was surprised by all the interest in the job which says:
1. He’s an idiot to not realize how well regarded Kim made Baylor
2. The current roster is loaded
3. The money Kim made and Baylor was spending dwarves almost every other program
4. His initial choice may be getting a counteroffer from her existing school

While I do think Kim could be a tad dramatic, I think this AD is a complete tool and he blew it.

Reaction Score
I’m assuming Messer was interviewing for the job but hiring from within usually doesn’t work out

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If someone were to ask me who might be considered a homerun (realistically speaking) hire for Baylor (from the current college ranks), I would name Jeff Walz, Brenda Frese, Kelly Graves, and Adia Barnes. Each of them probably has plenty of reasons NOT to leave their current situations, but if Baylor is willing to pay $2 million annually, one of them might bolt for Waco.

Other than that, I can't think of many names who would be considered a splash hire. At a minimum, I'm sure they'll make a solid hire.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe the word from the AD was he would be silent until a hire was identified and signed and the time frame was a month.

Reaction Score
I just can’t imagine Frese or Graves in Waco. Frese in particular would be oil and water with that crowd, and I can’t see Graves having any tolerance for the Baptist restrictions.

and you can pursue Walz but the downside is that he strings you along, stretches out the process, and you lose more viable candidates. If you want Walz id give him 2 days to decide and then pull the offer.

Reaction Score
Joni Taylor is the priority right now , if they dont get her then its fair game !

Reaction Score
On previous coaching searches, Baylor AD Mack Rhoades has played it extremely close to the vest, with basically no leaks of any kind about who he has interviewed or offered a job to. It has basically been confirmed that Sytia Messer will be interviewed, but other than that it is conjecture about who will be on the list. I do expect this to be wrapped up by Monday, another week at the most.

Unlike many Baylor fans, I've had complete confidence in him throughout this whole process. It is not his fault that we are here, and I think he will make the best choice. He is on the record saying that the high level of investment in WBB will continue, so there shouldn't be any financial limitations with the next coach.

Reaction Score
I think Megan Duffy would be an excellent choice if some of the "big names" aren't available. You could tell watching her team that they were well coached, especially on the defensive end, without the level of talent that Baylor would afford. I bet she would produce really strong results.

Reaction Score
I think Megan Duffy would be an excellent choice if some of the "big names" aren't available. You could tell watching her team that they were well coached, especially on the defensive end, without the level of talent that Baylor would afford. I bet she would produce really strong results.
She may be Catholic. Don’t the Baptists consider that worse than being atheist? :)

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
The Baylor board listed the names above. Where they got it from is unknown. The AD did say he was surprised by all the interest in the job which says:
1. He’s an idiot to not realize how well regarded Kim made Baylor
2. The current roster is loaded
3. The money Kim made and Baylor was spending dwarves almost every other program
4. His initial choice may be getting a counteroffer from her existing school

While I do think Kim could be a tad dramatic, I think this AD is a complete tool and he blew it.
BINGO (regarding the AD). Look up his last stint at Missouri - awful! From what I've seen, the AD has no interest in women's sports. He rarely shows up at any of the games, but shows up for most of the men's games. He came to Baylor with attitude and immediately bumped heads with KM. KM is not the easiest person to work with as she expects perfection (what good coach isn't that way), but they just couldn't work it out. An AD's job is to keep great coaches. He did blow this one. Hoping he makes a decent hire to help this situation and mainly the team!

Reaction Score
BINGO (regarding the AD). Look up his last stint at Missouri - awful! From what I've seen, the AD has no interest in women's sports. He rarely shows up at any of the games, but shows up for most of the men's games. He came to Baylor with attitude and immediately bumped heads with KM. KM is not the easiest person to work with as she expects perfection (what good coach isn't that way), but they just couldn't work it out. An AD's job is to keep great coaches. He did blow this one. Hoping he makes a decent hire to help this situation and mainly the team!
This is not accurate. I have seen Rhoades at many women's games, along with our university president (a former women's basketball player at Ok State). There was no lack of support from the administration, which is why Kim was the 2nd highest paid coach in the country, with an extravagant budget. The reality is that Kim ran herself off. She made requests that no rational administration would agree to. There was no way Baylor was going to let her dictate the location of the new arena, or put her name on the court before she retired. Baylor had been extremely accommodating over the years, but there was a limit. I hate to lose her, but the school is bigger than any one person, especially the coach of a non-revenue sport that loses millions every year.

Mack Rhoades has an excellent track record of hiring coaches. He hired Kelvin Sampson at the University of Houston, who just took them to the final four. He also hired Matt Rhule, who took Baylor from the depths of scandal to a Sugar Bowl berth in three years. That hire in particular was controversial because Rhule was not on anyone's radar before the hiring, but the results speak for themselves. What happened at Mizzou is not relevant. That school was a disaster before he showed up for reasons that go far beyond the athletic department.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Joni Taylor is the priority right now , if they dont get her then its fair game !
I can't see leaving Georgia for Baylor unless the money is huge.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

“My family and I are very happy here at the University of Georgia,” Taylor said Wednesday through a team spokesperson. “As I said when the details of my contract extension were released earlier this month, Georgia is a special place.”

Taylor, the SEC coach of the year this past season, was viewed as a prime candidate following Kim Mulkey's jump to LSU after winning three national titles in her time in Waco.

Taylor’s total annual compensation will be $850,000 this year under the terms of a three-year contract extension agreed to earlier this month that runs through 2026. She will be paid $925,000 in the sixth year of the contract before bonuses.

Reaction Score
Asked by the Athens Banner-Herald if she or a representative has been contacted about the Baylor job or if she has interest, the Georgia coach indicated that she’s content at her current place of employment.

That doesn't sound like a denial of either point.

Reaction Score
This is not accurate. I have seen Rhoades at many women's games, along with our university president (a former women's basketball player at Ok State). There was no lack of support from the administration, which is why Kim was the 2nd highest paid coach in the country, with an extravagant budget. The reality is that Kim ran herself off. She made requests that no rational administration would agree to. There was no way Baylor was going to let her dictate the location of the new arena, or put her name on the court before she retired. Baylor had been extremely accommodating over the years, but there was a limit. I hate to lose her, but the school is bigger than any one person, especially the coach of a non-revenue sport that loses millions every year.

Mack Rhoades has an excellent track record of hiring coaches. He hired Kelvin Sampson at the University of Houston, who just took them to the final four. He also hired Matt Rhule, who took Baylor from the depths of scandal to a Sugar Bowl berth in three years. That hire in particular was controversial because Rhule was not on anyone's radar before the hiring, but the results speak for themselves. What happened at Mizzou is not relevant. That school was a disaster before he showed up for reasons that go far beyond the athletic department.
Sounds like Rhoades has lots of experience. Over that tenure, what has been his results with any of the women sports teams he oversaw?

Reaction Score
What’s the hype about Joni Taylor? I mean I don’t see it. She has had one good season and that team was full of seniors. Georgia produces so MUCH talent. She hasn’t managed secure almost any of it. From the 2018 class to the 2021 class, here are some names I managed to find: Jenna Brown, Victaria Saxton, Robyn Benton, ONO, Jessika Carter, Anaya Boyd, Genesis Bryant, Avyonce Carter, Olivia Cochran, (Sania Feagin, Raven Johnson, Kionna Gaines, De’Mauri Flournoy, Kayla McPherson, Makayla Timpson, Brianna Turnage, Sacha Washington) — all these are top 100 recruits over the past four years and the last few in parenthesis are from this year. That’s too much talent in your own backyard that you haven’t been able to secure. The two she did get within that time frame were Javyn Nicholson and Jillian Hollingshead.

Reaction Score
What’s the hype about Joni Taylor? I mean I don’t see it. She has had one good season and that team was full of seniors. Georgia produces so MUCH talent. She hasn’t managed secure almost any of it. From the 2018 class to the 2021 class, here are some names I managed to find: Jenna Brown, Victaria Saxton, Robyn Benton, ONO, Jessika Carter, Anaya Boyd, Genesis Bryant, Avyonce Carter, Olivia Cochran, (Sania Feagin, Raven Johnson, Kionna Gaines, De’Mauri Flournoy, Kayla McPherson, Makayla Timpson, Brianna Turnage, Sacha Washington) — all these are top 100 recruits over the past four years and the last few in parenthesis are from this year. That’s too much talent in your own backyard that you haven’t been able to secure. The two she did get within that time frame were Javyn Nicholson and Jillian Hollingshead.
I am in the same boat to be honest with Joni. I like her, seems like a decent coach but that to me would be an underwhelming hire if I was a Baylor fan. She recruits a lot of athletes, not very polished offensively. Outside the mini run in the SECT, there looked pretty mediocre most of the year. Very anemic teams offensively that are turnover prone. They do get after it defensively though.

Reaction Score
Hiring, for any job, is not about finding the best person in the world. It's about finding the best available person.

Name me 5-7 better candidates that Baylor has a reasonable shot at.

Reaction Score
Hiring, for any job, is not about finding the best person in the world. It's about finding the best available person.

Joni Taylor

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

I think we're all guessing as to who might be interested and "available". I don't have Joni Taylor as any kind of splash hire as she couldn't even get her #3 seed team into the Sweet 16.

If Baylor is willing to pay $2 million a season, they will poach a great head coach from a program that's had recent success.

Reaction Score
If Baylor is willing to pay $2 million a season, they will poach a great head coach from a program that's had recent success.
Such as ?

Geno, Tara, KimM, Vic = no
Brenda, Graves, Dawn = almost certainly no
Who else is there?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member