Bayern vs MLS All-Stars | The Boneyard

Bayern vs MLS All-Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tonight we get one of the last European preseason games here in the states. 9:30 ESPN2. Probably worth watching. There is usually a lot of goals.

Bayern has said their German contingent will actually play some (maybe 20 minutes), although they will be way out of form. But they also have others to watch, Lewandowski, Pizarro, Ribery, Javy Martinez, Shaqiri and of course Julian Green (who I imagine will get a good run out).

Also USA Nationals, Rimando, Belzer, Gonzalez, Yedlin, Dempsey, Bradley, Zusi. Along with Henry, Cahill, Wright-Phillips, Keane, Defoe, Donovan.

Should be fun.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/mls-all-star-game-bayern-munich-arjen-robben-clint-dempsey

Reaction Score
Best reason to watch is Julian Green. I expect Bayern Munich to win this by 2-3 goals. MLS guys have had maybe 3 practices together and Munich is just better.

Also the Portland atmosphere is just insane.

Reaction Score
For an all star game, this isn't half bad. I do not want to see Henry retire this year. He's still got it, and you can tell he has valued his time here.

Reaction Score
Just started watching (just in time for the equalizer - great finish). Has Green done anything for Bayern?

Reaction Score
Just started watching (just in time for the equalizer - great finish). Has Green done anything for Bayern?

He had a dangerous shot on goal.

Bayern doubled Yedlin and he still broke them up. Back in World Cup form.

I was at the All Star game last year, and this one is way better on terms of play. The fan atmosphere is awful even though the house is packed.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous ball by Valeri, Landycakes gets his goal against the club he wasn't good enough to play for.

Reaction Score
If these Euro teams are going to play here, their coaches need to stop whining like little b!tches.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I was extremely pleased with the way that the MLS All Stars competed and the level of play that they were able to achieve, especially considering that they don't play together. It was a great result, and it shows that MLS is healthier than it has ever been. Looking at the roster, even with the omissions, put a smile on my face and reinforced how far we've come in less than 20 years.

And screw Pep Guardiola...

Reaction Score
Damn, looks like I missed a good game on TV because I was too lazy to extricate my sore body from soaking in the pool after playing 60 minutes of O40 soccer and I still have my right ankle wrapped this morning, need to find an ice pack form my left knee and got a multi-color bruise on my left calf after getting kicked just behind the shin guard. Getting old sucks!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was extremely pleased with the way that the MLS All Stars competed and the level of play that they were able to achieve, especially considering that they don't play together. It was a great result, and it shows that MLS is healthier than it has ever been. Looking at the roster, even with the omissions, put a smile on my face and reinforced how far we've come in less than 20 years.

And screw Pep Guardiola...

It's working. That was a 180 degree shift from last year's game. This year it was the MLS players who looked like the cohesive unit.

I would live to know what Thierry Henry and Pep were talking about after the game. Supposedly Bayern wants to come back for a rematch next year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Damn, looks like I missed a good game on TV because I was too lazy to extricate my sore body from soaking in the pool after playing 60 minutes of O40 soccer and I still have my right ankle wrapped this morning, need to find an ice pack form my left knee and got a color bruise on my left calf after getting kicked just behind the shin guard. Getting old sucks!
Tell me about it. I can't even play anymore, other than just kicking it around. I can still run (enough to ref anyway), but stopping?, cutting? no way.

Reaction Score
Damn, looks like I missed a good game on TV because I was too lazy to extricate my sore body from soaking in the pool after playing 60 minutes of O40 soccer and I still have my right ankle wrapped this morning, need to find an ice pack form my left knee and got a color bruise on my left calf after getting kicked just behind the shin guard. Getting old sucks!

I need to find an adult league. I've got the itch to play again.

Reaction Score
I need to find an adult league. I've got the itch to play again.

And after playing, that itch is buried under ice packs, wrapped in ace bandages, drowned in Advil, and covered in the knowledge that I am getting full use out of my health insurance plan. Nevertheless, I plan to keep playing until I can’t run anymore. Can soccer be done in wheelchairs or electric scooters?

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And after that playing, that itch is buried under ice packs, wrapped in ace bandages, drowned in Advil, and knowledge that I am getting full use out of my health insurance plan. Nevertheless, I plan to keep playing until I can’t run anymore. Can soccer be done in wheelchairs or electric scooters?

This is my philosophy, too. I'm going to put myself on as many teams as possible for as long as possible. At the not-so-ripe old age of 38, playing three times a week is starting to make some things hurt, though...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And after playing, that itch is buried under ice packs, wrapped in ace bandages, drowned in Advil, and covered in the knowledge that I am getting full use out of my health insurance plan. Nevertheless, I plan to keep playing until I can’t run anymore. Can soccer be done in wheelchairs or electric scooters?
My son played wheelchair soccer a few years ago. But it was actually closer to Handball (rules and play) than soccer.

There's always Murderball.

Reaction Score
This is my philosophy, too. I'm going to put myself on as many teams as possible for as long as possible. At the not-so-ripe old age of 38, playing three times a week is starting to make some things hurt, though...

I have you beat by 2 years. I just play on the adult Rec League (summer, fall, indoor 2 sessions, all 9 v 9) and not the more competitive Open/Travel team (11 v 11) as 1) I am not in shape for it and 2) I don’t have time for 1 game a 2 practices a week with work, my hour commute each way, coaching my son’s soccer and baseball teams, and the usual house stuff. I do miss slide tackling though (rec no, open yes).

Good news is that I got my first goal this season on Wednesday night playing left back. I was covering their right wing high and tight as he was a lot faster than me (helps being 10 years young) and had burned me twice already (once for a goal). Thus, I was at midfield on a change of possession. He bolted by me looking for an outside pass; but, I released off of him and jumped on a very lazy pass to him. I used momentum to blow by their right back, who made the errant pass. That left me with just their center back and keeper to deal with. I froze the back with a fake pass to my right as our striker (who already had a hat trick) was charging and took an immediate shot with my left that beat their keeper low to the near post (a younger keeper would have saved it; but, us old farts can’t get to the ground as fast as we used to). As that had been my 2nd offensive run in the last 10 minutes, I rewarded myself by subbing out for the next 5 minutes.

Now, I just hope the bruise on my left calf goes away soon and I wish I knew why my right Achilles has been acting up since. Next game is Tuesday.

Reaction Score
My son played wheelchair soccer a few years ago. But it was actually closer to Handball (rules and play) than soccer.

There's always Murderball.

Years ago, I was a volunteer working the starting line for the Boston marathon in Hopkinton and met and spent time chatting with the folks in the wheelchair division. Hats off to those insane S.O.B.’s. No idea how they can push a wheelchair, albeit a specialized one, for 26.2 miles up some nasty hills about 1 hour 20 minutes, which is about an hour faster than the runners. A lot of hard work, a lot of upper arm strength, and a lot of heart.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I have you beat by 2 years.

In some ways, being 40 is better than being 38 from a soccer standpoint. At 38, I'm not quick enough to keep up with the 25 year olds anymore, but I'm "under-qualified" for the over-40 leagues... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom