Batouly making progress | The Boneyard

Batouly making progress

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Looking at today's boxscore, it looks like Batouly is really making progress. Keeping my fingers crossed for tourney time.

Slowed by injury this season. Prediction - After lots of hard work in the gym and weight room during the summer, Camara comes back in the fall fully healthy, and ready to ball. BTW, the light comes on over the summer as well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Predicting Camara will prove her value in at least one of the tournament games. She has natural Basketball instincts and has more athleticism and quickness then Kyla. She can rebound and score in the low post.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Predicting Camara will prove her value in at least one of the tournament games. She has natural Basketball instincts and has more athleticism and quickness then Kyla. She can rebound and score in the low post.
Respectfully disagree. I just don't think that Geno is ready to give her that opportunity. I just don't see him making any changes to his rotation this late in the season. Of course, injuries could change that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. I just don't think that Geno is ready to give her that opportunity. I just don't see him making any changes to his rotation this late in the season. Of course, injuries could change that.
I agree that Geno typically doesn't make changes to his rotation late in the season, but there have been occasions when he has. The most recent was in the 2015-16 season. As a freshman, Pheesa had been banged up and she appeared to hit the freshman wall midway through the season, earning her less and less time, except for mop-up minutes.

After the conference tournament, during the week leading into the Big Dance, Geno suddenly announced that Pheesa had been working really hard in practice. Geno started playing Pheesa as part of his regular rotation during the tournament and she played well on every occasion. More importantly, when Lou went down with a broken foot in the national semifinal, Pheesa was ready as the first player off the bench.

Reaction Score

If UConn does meet Baylor at some point in the big tournament I could see using Camara against Brown for a few minutes if for no other reason the to give Gabby or Napheesa a brief rest and to hopefully draw a couple of fouls...............she's fearless enough to go right at Brown and hopefully she'll get her a bit off of her game.................

Reaction Score
Let's see what happens in the last few games of the regular season and conference tourney. It should give Geno more info on how much minutes she can give for the NCAA tourney. Better late than never!!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
The knee injury hampered Batouly, and now she is feeling better. Her minutes were increasing, and you could see some of what she could do, but today, she showed more of what she can add to the game. With more minutes, I believe she will really show why Geno was recruiting her out of high school. Yes, Coach Geno was recruiting Batouly and Azura. Batouly chose Kentucky, and Azura chose Duke.

Carnac

Reaction Score
How about the Baylor game for instance, banging in low post vs Kalani Brown.

The most recent information I could find on Brown with respect to her weight was updated in Aug 2017.
At that time, she tipped the scales at 245 lbs. She is a player that is NOT easily moved around, or denied access to an area on the floor she wants to occupy. Azura is slight of frame. She has no chance of imposing her will on Brown. Gabby and Pheesa, forget it. Neither of them are over 180 lbs (if that much). Irwin, maybe. (The best way for UConn (or any team) to deal with Brown is to sit her down with early foul trouble).

And then there's Batouly. Camara is a NYC girl with a little "nasty" about her. I think she could possibly do something with Brown for a moment, maybe. At 6'2", Camara still gives away 5" inches to 6'7" Brown, and at least 40 lbs. (or more). Advantage Brown. Make no mistake about it, Brown is a force in the paint. She has learned how to put the ball in the basket from 5-7 feet out, and will will make you think twice about coming in the lane, just like Stewie did at 6'4" with those long arms, and that great timing and leaping ability.

UConn did manage to beat Brown and her mates last year, so it's possible that lightning can strike twice. Baylor chould be a #1 seed, as they are currently ranked 3rd in the USA Coach's poll and the AP. However, on the ESPN studio show today, Charlie Creme has UConn, Louisville, Mississippi State and Notre Dame as 1 seeds, with Baylor, Oregon, Texas and Florida State as 2 seeds right now. An unexpected surprise in the conference tournaments could change things, anything is possible. I expect the 1 seeds to prevail. Most of the top 10 seeds will knock each other off in games 3,4 & 5 before they can get to UConn. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The most recent information I could find on Brown with respect to her weight was updated in Aug 2017.
At that time, she tipped the scales at 245 lbs. She is a player that is NOT easily moved around. Azura is slight of frame. She has no chance of imposing her will on Brown. Gabby and Pheesa, forget it. Neither of them are over 180 lbs (if that much). Irwin, maybe. (The best way for UConn (or any team) to deal with Brown is to sit her down with early foul trouble).

And then there's Batouly. Camara is a NYC girl with a little "nasty" about her. I think she could possibly do something with Brown for a moment, maybe. At 6'2", Camara still gives away 5" inches to 6'7" Brown, and at least 40 lbs. (or more). Advantage Brown. Make no mistake about it, Brown is a force in the paint. She has learned how to put the ball in the basket from 5-7 feet out, and will will make you think twice about coming in the lane, just like Stewie did at 6'4" with those long arms, and that great timing and leaping ability. UConn did manage to beat Brown and her mates last year, so it's possible that lightning can strike twice. Baylor should be a #1 seed, as they are currently ranked 3rd in the USA Coach's poll and the AP. I don't see them faltering in their remaining games. So, they do meet, it would be that final weekend in April. :rolleyes:
Should UConn & Baylor meet, I see Touly as a change up on Brown. The Huskies will start with Gabby on her. Gabby will use her quickness & athleticism to front Brown and dare Baylor to throw the ball over the top. With Kia, Krystal & Lou face guarding Baylor’s guards, that’s not an easy pass to make. Then you bring Z in for awhile and make Brown work on the defensive end. Then you bring Touly in to knock her around some. Hopefully, that’s enough to take her off her game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Should UConn & Baylor meet, I see Touly as a change up on Brown. The Huskies will start with Gabby on her. Gabby will use her quickness & athleticism to front Brown and dare Baylor to throw the ball over the top. With Kia, Krystal & Lou face guarding Baylor’s guards, that’s not an easy pass to make. Then you bring Z in for awhile and make Brown work on the defensive end. Then you bring Touly in to knock her around some. Hopefully, that’s enough to take her off her game.

Oh, the old triple "tag team" routine. Keep rotating fresh players in on her, throughout the game, and eventually it takes it's toll. You might get lucky and draw a frustration (offensive) foul. If she's not in foul trouble late in the game when they would need her most, she's at best, fatigued. I like it. That entire first quarter, I'd go right at Brown.

If she guards Gabby (which I seriously doubt), Gabby can take her to the hole, and draw some fouls. When Stevens is in there, same thing, go right at her. She's not going to block everything, but you know she's going to try. Use her aggressiveness against her. Two quick ones, and she's on the bench for the rest of the half. Now the playing field is a bit more level.

Reaction Score
According to the most recent stats I could find, Brown has committed 65 fouls in 26 games and has fouled out of one game, she has blocked 31 shots this year and averages 10 rebounds per game.................surprisingly, it's the other big, Cox who is the shot blocker with a total of 66.................she has committed 57 fouls, fouled out of one game and averages 9.2 rebounds per game...............as a point of reference not including today's game Napheesa has committed 45 fouls, has fouled out of one game, averages 7.8 rebounds per game and has blocked 47 shots, Gabby has committed 45 fouls, has blocked 13 shots and averages 8 rebounds per game and finally Azura has committed 50 fouls, has blocked 46 shots and averages 7.3 rebounds per game............

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

I don't know about that. If you were to chart Bat's progress to visualize her improvement trend, I believe the angle of the trend would be so steep she must become an important part of the rotation. She makes things happen. She is aggressive and high energy. She is persistent. She is in the right spot and on time. There is a role on this team that she is very close to fulfilling

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. If you were to chart Bat's progress to visualize her improvement trend, I believe the angle of the trend would be so steep she must become an important part of the rotation. She makes things happen. She is aggressive and high energy. She is persistent. She is in the right spot and on time. There is a role on this team that she is very close to fulfilling
agreed

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In Lou's post game interview, She reacted very positively about Batouly. Her eyes lit up when talking about how good it is to see her looking better and being able to give the team something we don't have alot of. "She is so strong and she just's goes into people". The other bench players are fine to give rest to the starters but only Batouly brings something that the others do not. I thing the coaching staff will work hard on trying to get her more involved like they are doing with Z.

Reaction Score
Would really like to know how her knee is, whether it's getting back to full use, or whether she is permanently hobbled. Of course, we all hope for full recovery. But UConn isn't explaining anything.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In Lou's post game interview, She reacted very positively about Batouly. Her eyes lit up when talking about how good it is to see her looking better and being able to give the team something we don't have alot of. "She is so strong and she just's goes into people". The other bench players are fine to give rest to the starters but only Batouly brings something that the others do not. I thing the coaching staff will work hard on trying to get her more involved like they are doing with Z.
One of the reasons Lou loves Touly is that she gets to play with a real enforcer. While I was excited about Touly's play yesterday, my favorite play of hers occurred during the recent game at UCF. UCF was playing their physical style of play, roughing up several of UConn's key players. In the 4th qtr, with Touly in the game, one of the UCF players attempted to drive the lane. Touly layed her on her back with a hard foul that caused me to smile from ear to ear. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom