Batouly goes to war in practice | The Boneyard

Batouly goes to war in practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We don't get to hear much from the two redshirters, who will amp up the team considerably next year. Here's testimony to how much they already do in practice, as Jim Fuller just recounted. I like the last sentence, about going to war with her teammates:

I couldn't help but wonder how things will look next season with 6-foot-5 Azura' Stevens and 6-2 Batouly Camara eligible after sitting out this season per NCAA transfer regulations as well as the Huskies adding highly-touted 6-1 signee Megan Walker.

I spoke to Camara last month after the National Letters of Intent were signed by Walker, Mikayla Coombs, Andra Espinoza-Hunter and Lexi Gordon since Camara was a former teammate of Espinoza-Hunter's at Blair Academy. I also asked her about what it is like not being able to play this season.

"It was more and everything that I expected," Camara said. "It is as challenging as I thought it would be but that was exactly what I wanted, I am excited about the season.

"Going through preseason and you started in practice, you see the competition that we have so we want to do our best for our teammates so we try every day to make practice as hard as we can. We go to war with them every day in, you can watch the games and support them."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: UConn/Notre Dame game a ratings hit

Reaction Score
I found it incredible that Williams 5-11 and Collier 6-1 were able to play so well in the post against bigger and taller opponents!!!! May be practice against Camara and Stevens did it!!! Thanks for the link.
I can't imagine that kind of practice competition wouldn't help them, although going against the male practice team is a huge plus also. Do most D1 teams use male practice squads, and is that something Geno and Chris originated?

Reaction Score
We don't get to hear much from the two redshirters, who will amp up the team considerably next year. Here's testimony to how much they already do in practice, as Jim Fuller just recounted. I like the last sentence, about going to war with her teammates:

I couldn't help but wonder how things will look next season with 6-foot-5 Azura' Stevens and 6-2 Batouly Camara eligible after sitting out this season per NCAA transfer regulations as well as the Huskies adding highly-touted 6-1 signee Megan Walker.

I spoke to Camara last month after the National Letters of Intent were signed by Walker, Mikayla Coombs, Andra Espinoza-Hunter and Lexi Gordon since Camara was a former teammate of Espinoza-Hunter's at Blair Academy. I also asked her about what it is like not being able to play this season.

"It was more and everything that I expected," Camara said. "It is as challenging as I thought it would be but that was exactly what I wanted, I am excited about the season.

"Going through preseason and you started in practice, you see the competition that we have so we want to do our best for our teammates so we try every day to make practice as hard as we can. We go to war with them every day in, you can watch the games and support them."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: UConn/Notre Dame game a ratings hit

Bags; Thanks, great find!! A few things come from these --war like--practices; 1. The team learns to play hard against bigger and stronger competition 2. The "Transfers" learn Geno's system, and that 'ain't' easy. 3. Playing physically tough competition in practice (without the ref whistles) adds to the conditioning. Is this great or what????

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Must be interesting for Stevens and Camara during practices and watching the games. I'm sure both but especially Stevens came to UConn thinking they would start next year. With how the team is playing this year, Geno and the coaches will have to make some tough decisions.

Reaction Score
There will be at least 1 open slot. Saniya is graduating. I'm wondering who the point will be though... Crystal or Kia? Next year may be tough for chemistry. Lots of kids looking for PT.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Here's a one off thought: What if Geno can convince all of these talented players that even though you may only play 20 mins/game, you will still be marketable to the WNBA? Look at DT, Stewie, Tuck, MoJeff, and others. I know that some of these players did play more than 20 mpg, but overall, especially in blowouts, you didn't see them in there much more than that. Geno has even said that the stars lack of minutes probably contributed to less stats, but at the end of the day, winning a NC is more important than individual stats for the players he recruits.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Next year look for a full court press, up tempo for 40 minutes. With all that depth, an up tempo game will keep the players engaged and you will not have to be as concerned about fouls.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Here's a one off thought: What if Geno can convince all of these talented players that even though you may only play 20 mins/game, you will still be marketable to the WNBA? Look at DT, Stewie, Tuck, MoJeff, and others. I know that some of these players did play more than 20 mpg, but overall, especially in blowouts, you didn't see them in there much more than that. Geno has even said that the stars lack of minutes probably contributed to less stats, but at the end of the day, winning a NC is more important than individual stats for the players he recruits.
The best advertisement is Kiah Stokes - she averaged 15 minutes a game for her career, topping out at 18.5 per game in her junior year, and started maybe a handful of games during her 4 years - but she was picked in the first round of the draft and ended up second in ROY voting in the WNBA.
I can't imagine that kind of practice competition wouldn't help them, although going against the male practice team is a huge plus also. Do most D1 teams use male practice squads, and is that something Geno and Chris originated?
Yes - most good D1 programs and probably a lot of the not good ones use male practice players - if you have fewer than 10 players you have to find a solution to play five on five in practice, and even if you have fifteen, you don't have 10 starting caliber players so a 5 on 5 ends up being against pretty weak opposition and doesn't challenge the starters enough. And not many teams have enough tall players to challenge the starters in that regard.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
No matter how deep a team is, only (5) players can play at a time... Geno will develop the needed chemistry in Practice.. He has done it before and he will do it again with multiple stars on board, I really don't know why we keep worrying about these things.. UCONN teams are focused.. Interchangeable, determined, driven, Disciplined.. and Talented.. Bring it on to next year and beyond.. (Road to 15) NC's in 2020

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It occurred to me that when the time comes to prepare for the South Carolina game this year, UConn should have an advantage that no other Gamecock opponent will have. In practice, they can use Azura to impersonate A'ja Wilson, and Natalie can impersonate Alaina Coates. Both of those practice players have physiques and basketball skills that are extremely similar to the real opponents that they will be simulating.

If Nurse Colliamson can figure out how to administer an effective sedative to Azura and Natalie in practice, she should be be well prepared for her appointment with Dawn Staley's fractious patients in early February.

(Sorry, UcMiami, if I am infringing on your copyright on "Colliamson", but I find it irresistible.)

Reaction Score
Must be interesting for Stevens and Camara during practices and watching the games. I'm sure both but especially Stevens came to UConn thinking they would start next year. With how the team is playing this year, Geno and the coaches will have to make some tough decisions.
What you say makes a lot of sense--but I'm nonsense driven--so I can't see how Geno can keep Stevens and Camra from playing lots of minutes--starting is overrated--kids want minutes--starting is for fans and parents I would think. Poor Geno , next year, poor Geno!! Stuck with too much top level talent!! Is that a terrible situation or what??
Your assessment of how they are playing is in line with many others. Let us hope they continue --not for us fans--but so they continue to feel great about themselves!!! There no longer is any doubt---this is a very special team!!!

Reaction Score
Next year look for a full court press, up tempo for 40 minutes. With all that depth, an up tempo game will keep the players engaged and you will not have to be as concerned about fouls.
And they will do what Geno likes to do best---run the opposition's legs off---when the legs go so goes the shooting percentages!!

Reaction Score
Yes and most of the time they tell them to contest shots but dont block them.

Reaction Score
I found it incredible that Williams 5-11 and Collier 6-1 were able to play so well in the post against bigger and taller opponents!!!! May be practice against Camara and Stevens did it!!! Thanks for the link.

I've changed my mind. After watching the first nine games of the season, I think that this team is playing as well as they can possibly play without a strong post player. Though it borders on heresy, I think one kid makes way for Azura Stevens in the starting line-up next year. They just can't keep playing small and expect to win every game against the Lewis's, Lang's, Turner's, Jones's, etc. of the nation's front court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I've changed my mind. After watching the first nine games of the season, I think that this team is playing as well as they can possibly play without a strong post player. Though it borders on heresy, I think one kid makes way for Azura Stevens in the starting line-up next year. They just can't keep playing small and expect to win every game against the Lewis's, Lang's, Turner's, Jones's, etc. of the nation's front court.

With the depth we will have next year, the concept of a starting 5 is less important. Geno will mix and match and keep every one fresh as he goes full court pressure.

Reaction Score
With how the team is playing this year, Geno and the coaches will have to make some tough decisions.
I believe that it is the PLAYERS who will be the deciding factors. If it is coming down to a decision by the Coaches, they will make this known to the players, enticing them to work harder to make the decision. themselves.

The beauty of a good system is that it becomes an entity in and of itself, a Von Neumann machine, if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom