Basking in the after glow and | The Boneyard

Basking in the after glow and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
smoking a cigar this morning. I am a UConn grad 1964 and began to watch the women play in 1995. I am 73 and the past four years was a gift for me to see. Since there are a number of us in this age group that are UConn fans, we had the opportunity to see this little bit of history and bask in Husky pride. I know for me, that I will not have that many Husky national championships to see in the future. So, you cannot imagine the joy it brings to have the privilege to watch this team and it's great coach do what they set out to accomplish.

So today, I am going to re-watch the game, and them ride my horse up into the mountains and just look at the fine horizon and enjoy this moment for a lifetime to come.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
smoking a cigar this morning. I am a UConn grad 1964 and began to watch the women play in 1995. I am 73 and the past four years was a gift for me to see. Since there are a number of us in this age group that are UConn fans, we had the opportunity to see this little bit of history and bask in Husky pride. I know for me, that I will not have that many Husky national championships to see in the future. So, you cannot imagine the joy it brings to have the privilege to watch this team and it's great coach do what they set out to accomplish.

So today, I am going to re-watch the game, and them ride my horse up into the mountains and just look at the fine horizon and enjoy this moment for a lifetime to come.
Great post. I was thinking along these lines as well this morning.

Post more often.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Oh man. You have made me wistful for my horseback riding days.

This is a moment to be enjoyed.

Reaction Score
No horse, no mountains, just some bright memories: Polly and her basket (and the team's reaction); Bre stroking the trophy as if it were the Ark of the Covenant; the group hug of the Trinity; Geno cutting down the strings but no longer fitting in the hoop. Wanting to extend congrats to Kia Nurse, who isn't a senior but whose play made the Big Three more of a Core Four. And the look ahead: history is made but not over. Aspiration hasn't died: "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a Heaven for?" Bring on Next Year!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
veryolddog - what a lovely way to spend the day - I got up early today to see cousins off to the airport and spent the pre-dawn reading stories and posts waiting for the sun to come up on a glorious day in Storrs! I greeted the sun, now you can put it to bed. :)
Enjoy!

Reaction Score
No horse, no mountains, just some bright memories: Polly and her basket (and the team's reaction); Bre stroking the trophy as if it were the Ark of the Covenant; the group hug of the Trinity; Geno cutting down the strings but no longer fitting in the hoop. Wanting to extend congrats to Kia Nurse, who isn't a senior but whose play made the Big Three more of a Core Four. And the look ahead: history is made but not over. Aspiration hasn't died: "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a Heaven for?" Bring on Next Year!
Great post, huskyd. Wish I could give more than just one like.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not quite ready to look to next year yet. Maybe after this weekend. I want to let the fantastic 4 wins by the holy trinity sink in. And as one poster said, the past 20 years have been nothing short of spectacular. The reason it's never been done before is because it's really really hard. Given the parity in WCBB, it's very possible we will NEVER see anything like this again.

Reaction Score

You've captured the moment in picture perfect fashion. Thank you.

For proud alumni of a "certain age" our joy and pride manifests itself in more mellow fashion. And probably in ways that are richer for having been on the journey for so long.

Let the kids scream til they're hoarse...we would have. Let the noise makers shout from the rafters...if not now, when ? Open the tap on all good exuberance...it'll do ya' no harm. Celebrate as much you can while you can.

But like you, many of us Field House Faithful will spend a quieter, easier, and at least equally sweet day... with satisfied grins on our crinkled mugs. Aren't we the lucky ones.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score

Sounds EXCELLENT 1962 Grad !!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Old dog - you've got a few years on me but you said it right.

It's still a bit difficult to fathom what the UCONN program has accomplished over the past 20 years let alone the last four.

We don't often have the opportunity to watch history happening before our very eyes. We are all witness to a dynasty that may never be equalled. Kind of like Joe DiMaggio's 55 game hitting streak - otherworldly. We have also witnessed a wonderful bunch of young women who have graced the court in a UCONN uniform - many of whom were at the game last night. I am sure we all have our favorite moments and favorite players from these past years. As fans, we have been truly blessed.

But the ride is not over. The next chapter is to be written in true UCONN tradition. I can't wait.

Reaction Score
Old dog - you've got a few years on me but you said it right.

It's still a bit difficult to fathom what the UCONN program has accomplished over the past 20 years let alone the last four.

We don't often have the opportunity to watch history happening before our very eyes. We are all witness to a dynasty that may never be equalled. Kind of like Joe DiMaggio's 55 game hitting streak - otherworldly. We have also witnessed a wonderful bunch of young women who have graced the court in a UCONN uniform - many of whom were at the game last night. I am sure we all have our favorite moments and favorite players from these past years. As fans, we have been truly blessed.

But the ride is not over. The next chapter is to be written in true UCONN tradition. I can't wait.
Ahem, lest my blankety-blank Yankee fan brother have a coronary, I believe it was 56 games.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Ahem, lest my blankety-blank Yankee fan brother have a coronary, I believe it was 56 games.

My bad. As a Yankee fan since my childhood, I know that. 5 lashes with a wet noodle will be administered by my wife - a Red Sox fan!

Reaction Score

Also a 1964 grad. Well said. Enjoy your ride.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

You sound like me, only I don't smoke and I am one year older. UCONN's women are something SPECIAL to watch. They show how beautiful a game basketball can be.

Reaction Score

Veryold dog: Very eloquent and poignant post.

And x2 here. 74, class of 1967.

I also cherish having witnessed perhaps most how these last 4 years have played out for the Husky women's team. Such excellence, such discipline, such teamwork, such class.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I am thankful for DVRs. We were at Disney with family and three toddler grandchildren. Game was on in the room, however as you can imagine, it was utter chaos. We came home and watched it last night. Just as good as watching it live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom