basketball teams, especially young basketball teams, will have stinkers | The Boneyard

basketball teams, especially young basketball teams, will have stinkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
that's the best way to describe it.

Although WVU's press gave us some problems (that shouldn't happen again) we were really the Bad News Huskies yesterday, the Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight, Apocalypse Now, The Perfect Storm, however one chooses to describe it our wheels simply fell off.

We couldn't make WIDE OPEN THREES, the only thing WVU did to stop was on those was leave us WIDE OPEN. We couldn't make WIDE OPEN free throws, one of our biggest strengths in recent years. Making free throws is the difference maker in many of our victories since 10/11.

And we made some really silly passes, especially the kids

they'll learn from this, we'll be fine

Reaction Score
If UConn was in the old BE with this current team, it definitely doesn't make the tournament. But in the AAC and especially with the new rules, this team has advantages. And will have them if it makes the tourney, which I believe they'll do. The new hand check and bodying rules encourage teams to do the one thing UConn can do at this point. And that's slash to the basket. Hamilton, Purvis and even Samuel can do this. Boatright excels at it.

Jerome Dyson must be watching and thinking IF ONLY.

Reaction Score
If UConn was in the old BE with this current team, it definitely doesn't make the tournament. But in the AAC and especially with the new rules, this team has advantages. And will have them if it makes the tourney, which I believe they'll do. The new hand check and bodying rules encourage teams to do the one thing UConn can do at this point. And that's slash to the basket. Hamilton, Purvis and even Samuel can do this. Boatright excels at it.

Jerome Dyson must be watching and thinking IF ONLY.
Your proclamations are getting old.

Reaction Score
"If UConn was in the old BE with this current team, it definitely doesn't make the tournament".

Just a really stupid statement. One bad game and we aren't even a tournament caliber team? This team has 3 months to improve before March Madness. I suspect they will be tourney ready and then some by then.

Reaction Score
"If UConn was in the old BE with this current team, it definitely doesn't make the tournament".

Just a really stupid statement. One bad game and we aren't even a tournament caliber team? This team has 3 months to improve before March Madness. I suspect they will be tourney ready and then some by then.

Come on guys, first loss a bunch of emotions, disappointments and perhaps anger. We need a 2 day pass for stupid Shot to be allowed. Most of us will be back down to earth by Tuesday. Fortunately for UConn fans it doesn't take us long.

So please have some understanding, unless its Freescooter, STB, etc..

Reaction Score
IMHO, the team learned a lot from yesterday. A lot of good will come out it and there were several positives.

1. For the young guys, now they understand what 40 minutes of pressure is. You have to play at a high level for all 40.
2. Facey had an excellent game, especially on the O boards. If he can bring that intensity regularly we are in god shape. I loved hiss confidence on those put backs.
3. Need to work on shot selection. Not sure where we will get our there's from Except for dham. If I am an opposing team in let everyone except dham and boat beat me from three.
4. Nolan, he actually had a strong quick move to the hoop.
5. Our free throw shooting has been erratic through 4 games. KO worked o. That last year and we improved as the year went on.

Reaction Score
hopefully they refocus quick, because the game against Tejas is going to be brutal. This is the best team Barnes has had in awhile.

Reaction Score
I'm feeling pretty good, all in all. The forwards are playing well, and while Brimah's rebounding has been pretty terrible, Hamilton and Facey have done really well on that end, so I'm not sure it's going to be that big of an issue. If Purvis isn'y hurt and Lubin and Calhoun aren't hung from a yardarm for whatever it is they did, the bench should be pretty strong. Nolan needs to get his act together well enough to play 15 mpg, which would require about 10-15mpg from some combination of Lubin and Hamilton at the 4. Getting out of Puerto Rico should help the shooting, which should go a long way towards fixing the offensive issues we had yesterday.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
IMHO, the team learned a lot from yesterday. A lot of good will come out it and there were several positives.

1. For the young guys, now they understand what 40 minutes of pressure is. You have to play at a high level for all 40.
2. Facey had an excellent game, especially on the O boards. If he can bring that intensity regularly we are in god shape. I loved hiss confidence on those put backs.
3. Need to work on shot selection. Not sure where we will get our there's from Except for dham. If I am an opposing team in let everyone except dham and boat beat me from three.
4. Nolan, he actually had a strong quick move to the hoop.
5. Our free throw shooting has been erratic through 4 games. KO worked o. That last year and we improved as the year went on.

I know I'm the biggest Nolan cheerleader on this board, but he actually had a really good game last night. He should've seen more court time, Brimah wasn't doing a whole lot to keep us in the game. He went up strong for a couple of rebounds, drew a charge, and had a nice aggressive slam, for the first time showing the added bulk might not be in vain. Let's hope he builds on this.

Reaction Score
I know I'm the biggest Nolan cheerleader on this board, but he actually had a really good game last night. He should've seen more court time, Brimah wasn't doing a whole lot to keep us in the game. He went up strong for a couple of rebounds, drew a charge, and had a nice aggressive slam, for the first time showing the added bulk might not be in vain. Let's hope he builds on this.

3 fouls in ten minutes. He had his best game of the season, but he was still pretty crummy.

Reaction Score
3 fouls in ten minutes. He had his best game of the season, but he was still pretty crummy.

Yeah, but that follow slam was a world of difference from how he'd been playing. He got angry at a foul call and then briefly played good, aggressive ball.

The charge he took on Boat was an unfortunate play all around, but other than that yesterday was real progress for Phil.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but that follow slam was a world of difference from how he'd been playing. He got angry at a foul call and then briefly played good, aggressive ball.

The charge he took on Boat was an unfortunate play all around, but other than that yesterday was real progress for Phil.

Progress, sure, but I don't think he should be taking minutes from Brimah. Brimah's rebounding may stink, but he has some actual offensive skills in the post, and he's a great rim-protector. I'd like to see Phil offer up 15ish solid minutes/game backing up the 4 and the 5.

Reaction Score
You guys are more prickly than I am. In the old BE, you'd get hammered by Blair types all game long. UConn can't do that anymore. it is thin as hell. Refs are not going to call those fouls. It's a different day out there. UConn has adapted to the times.

As for Superjohn, what proclamations are you talking about?

I've posted 99% UConn homer optimistic stuff, and you jump on the first negative thing I've said. Wow, talk about crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom