Basketball Rule Question | The Boneyard

Basketball Rule Question

Reaction Score
Do I detect sarcasm?
Taking this question at face value...if the ball is over the cylinder I’m assuming yes, it would be basket interference. If this question was out of sarcasm, then good day to you sir

Reaction Score
Taking this question at face value...if the ball is over the cylinder I’m assuming yes, it would be basket interference. If this question was out of sarcasm, then good day to you sir
1. The question was from Chin, of whom I battle daily in the cesspool, so relax.
2. The question was timed right after Gaff through a line drive lob, so relax.
3. We just won for once, so relax.
4. There is no such rule, you can throw a lob anywhere you want. You can throw it almost to the rafters if you want. Even off the backboard (see KEA to Doug). HOWEVER, if the receiving player touches the ball above the cylinder it willed be ruled offensive goal tending.
Conclusion: Relax sir, we won.

Reaction Score
1. The question was from Chin, of whom I battle daily in the cesspool, so relax.
4. There is no such rule, you can throw a lob anywhere you want. You can throw it almost to the rafters if you want. HOWEVER, if the receiving player touches the ball above the cylinder it willed be ruled offensive goal tending.
Sorry that was “over my head”

Reaction Score
I have wondered about a different ruling in an alley oop pass and never asked.
This; If the the passer throws it for the oop and a defensive player comes up and grabs the ball on the way down (not over the cylinder) is it defensive goal tending? Honest question.

Reaction Score
I have wondered about a different ruling in an alley oop pass and never asked.
This; If the the passer throws it for the oop and a defensive player comes up and grabs the ball on the way down (not over the cylinder) is it defensive goal tending? Honest question.
By rule. Yes it is.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You can't score by putting the ball in the hoop on an inbounds pass, so it isn't legally a shot. Ergo, you can grab the ball on the way down and it isn't goaltending. This comes up in the NBA with the ball advance to halfcourt end of game thing a couple times a year. It looks odd in execution, but makes sense, guys defend the hell out of it right at the rim, but its legal.

So if a team throws an inbounds alley-oop pass, you can basically do whatever you want to defend it. Its like a loose ball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do I detect sarcasm?

Sarcasm, yes. But it just seems weird that more times than I can count alley oop passes to Bouk or Akok have been woefully underthrown. With both them back and throwing Jackson in the mix, the alley oop becomes a great play against teams overplaying screens on the weak side or against zones. But it doesn't do you any good if the pass maxes out at 9' high.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
4. There is no such rule, you can throw a lob anywhere you want. You can throw it almost to the rafters if you want. Even off the backboard (see KEA to Doug). HOWEVER, if the receiving player touches the ball above the cylinder it willed be ruled offensive goal tending.
In high school, we had a set inbound play when inbounding from the side line, that was an alley oop from out of bounds. We practiced it regularly. The one time we used it in a game, the inbound pass hit the rim and kind of hung there. I tapped it in. I got called for offensive interference. I politely screamed in the official's face, "How the #$ can it be goal tending when it was a $#@ pass from out of bounds?" I got T'd up and tossed from the game.
The proudest moment of my high school career.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From what I can remember from earlier today, they were 0-2 on alley oops. I forget who threw it in the first half but it was way low and tipped away. In the second half Carlton to Akok was about a foot above Akok's reach. Neither pass had a chance.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At least one easy basket per game missed on bad alley oop passes.

AG had Sid for an easy slam and passes it too high and behind.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
At least one easy basket per game missed on bad alley oop passes.

AG had Sid for an easy slam and passes it too high and behind.

He overcorrected after reading your original post. Maybe we’ll see a spot on jelly-oop against Memphis now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
@Jay-Bone , they're getting better at the Alleys and perfecting the Oops.

Last edited:

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Better question... how the hell is it a foul on the defense when the defensive player is literally leaning away and getting out of the way of a driving offensive player?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Better question... how the hell is it a foul on the defense when the defensive player is literally leaning away and getting out of the way of a driving offensive player?

You seem to be asking a legitimate rules question. Which, in spite of the thread title, is not at all the intention of this thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom