Basketball Coaches on the Rise | The Boneyard

Basketball Coaches on the Rise

Reaction Score
Wow, uconn should have all of them on speed dial and just run down the list.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Please just hire Dan Hurley.
I know a lot of UCONN fans are hoping for this...but as mentioned in the article, why wouldn’t Coach Hurley look to go to the ACC or B1G Ten?
The NCAA is proposing to allow players to transfer and be eligible immediately when the existing coach is let go. At least some of Coach Ollie’s recruits would likely decommit. So, the cupboards would be bare. The travel for UCONN in the American is horrible, which stinks for the players (hurts recruiting) and the coaches.
Despite his limitations, I’m less confident than many others that UCONN will easily get a better coach than Coach Ollie. Even if they do, it will be at least two years before they could be competitive due to the personnel losses ... the NCAA will certainly not ignore any questionable recruiting tactics!

Reaction Score
I know a lot of UCONN fans are hoping for this...but as mentioned in the article, why wouldn’t Coach Hurley look to go to the ACC or B1G Ten?
The NCAA is proposing to allow players to transfer and be eligible immediately when the existing coach is let go. At least some of Coach Ollie’s recruits would likely decommit. So, the cupboards would be bare. The travel for UCONN in the American is horrible, which stinks for the players (hurts recruiting) and the coaches.
Despite his limitations, I’m less confident than many others that UCONN will easily get a better coach than Coach Ollie. Even if they do, it will be at least two years before they could be competitive due to the personnel losses ... the NCAA will certainly not ignore any questionable recruiting tactics!
" Not get a better coach than Ollie"......... the better ? would be if Coppin St. can play UConn almost even ( and they are the worst team in D1)how can you find a worse coach at this point in time all things considered. Seriously Houston, SMU, Tulane, UCF and Tulsa all hired coaches after KO got hired and they're all doing better than us. Be serious.

Reaction Score

I hate to break it to you but pretty much everyone in FBS is taking flights to games. That's not an AAC issue, other than to point out that the AAC has easy access with its airports and there is not a rural destination to swing to after exiting the plane.

UConn is in a multibid conference with perhaps the biggest recruiting advantages among its competition. You're silly if you don't believe that's more attractive than taking over a floundering nobody in another multibid conference.

Coaches prize longevity and the opportunity to take jobs that give them every possible leg up on their peers.

Dan Hurley would make a fine hire.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I hate to break it to you but pretty much everyone in FBS is taking flights to games. That's not an AAC issue, other than to point out that the AAC has easy access with its airports and there is not a rural destination to swing to after exiting the plane.

UConn is in a multibid conference with perhaps the biggest recruiting advantages among its competition. You're silly if you don't believe that's more attractive than taking over a floundering nobody in another multibid conference.

Coaches don't view UConn the same way as homers do. Coaching in the P5 vs. the AAC matters a great deal to them for reasons of competition, exposure, more balanced scheduling (i.e. not having to frontload the OOC schedule to make up for an incredibly weak conference slate). This doesn't even begin to factor in how much the gap between Ollie's salary and the next coach's will be. Our AD's revenue is dwindling dangerously, fan support is at its lowest since leaving the Yankee Conference, P5 schools' TV deals are exponentially more profitable than ours and growing even more so.

Reaction Score
Coaches don't view UConn the same way as homers do. Coaching in the P5 vs. the AAC matters a great deal to them for reasons of competition, exposure, more balanced scheduling (i.e. not having to frontload the OOC schedule to make up for an incredibly weak conference slate). This doesn't even begin to factor in how much the gap between Ollie's salary and the next coach's will be. Our AD's revenue is dwindling dangerously, fan support is at its lowest since leaving the Yankee Conference, P5 schools' TV deals are exponentially more profitable than ours and growing even more so.

I must have missed all those big names that were clamoring for the Rutgers job... Ohhhh that's right, they looked to Stony Brook. Why didn't they get a Hurley?

To put it simply.. There are plum jobs and bad jobs in every multibid conference. The plums in those multiple bid conferences don't go on the market that often, and they go before the bad.

Scheduling is a red herring... because UConn competes within its own conference, where only Temple pretty much schedules heavier by choice. The exposure in the AAC is as good as most, and if UConn was tearing it up would be better than most.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"P5"?? psssh, P7! Keep saying p7, even if it is not "100% true" (but I really think p7 is TRUE). Big East and AAC should not "go out like that"! Cincy, WSU and 1, or even both of Houston and SMU are all going to be playing in March. Plus it is not out of the realm of possibility for Temple to make a push with the next 3 games being....(heres that word again...) "winnable". AAC is absolutely not mid-anything, stop perpetuating that narrative (and even if it was, which it isn't) it does not help (us or Uconn) to say otherwise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom