Baseball Weekend Series @ Kennesaw State | The Boneyard

Baseball Weekend Series @ Kennesaw State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The UConn baseball team (2-4) travels to Kennesaw State (5-2) this weekend for a three-game set with the Owls. KSU is ranked in the majority of national polls after a 2014 season that saw it reach the NCAA Super Regional round. First pitch on Friday, Feb. 27 is set for 4 p.m. before a 2 p.m. first pitch on Saturday, Feb. 28 and a noon start on Sunday, March 1.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/022615aaa.html

Game notes:

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
UConn jumps ahead 1-0 with nobody out in the 1st. Sundberg bunted his way on, stole second, advanced to third on a single and scored on a bobble by the outfielder. Should be the narrative this entire season (minus the outfielder error of course).

Reaction Score
3-1 lead for UConn after five innings. Cross with 11 strikeouts, he is also at 99 pitches, so he won't be out there much longer. The bullpen is going to get some work against a heavy hitting Kennesaw State team.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not sure how I feel about Darras coming back out for another inning.

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball6:46pm via TweetDeck
Mid 8 | #UConn 5, Kennesaw State 2. KSU ends the T8 with a pickoff. Nico Darras entering out of the pen for the Huskies.

Cripes - didn't realize that Routolo's suspension for the first 3 series.

Did they say something about Ruotolo's suspension on WHUS? I was away from the broadcast for a little bit, so I must have missed it.

Reaction Score
Nico Darras gets the save! An excellent win over a ranked opponent.

Just that it was for 9 games... it was either when Over or Darras was warning up.

Reaction Score
Just that it was for 9 games... it was either when Over or Darras was warning up.

Thanks. Having Ruotolo back next week will be a real big help to the bullpen.

On thing Coach Penders said in the WHUS post game interview is that during the fall ball season Darras was the Huskies best guy out of the bullpen in getting lefty batters out. Kennesaw State had a number of lefties in the lineup, so that was the reason for Darras pitching the last two innings.

Speaking of facing lefty batters, UConn has only two lefty pitchers on the roster. Anthony Kay of course is in the starting rotation. The other one is freshman Jack Riley who is yet to see action this season. To my knowledge the Huskies have four southpaw pitching recruits coming into the program next season, and two more lefty pitchers coming in the following season, so that will help balance things out in the future.

Reaction Score
Just back from Kennesaw. The pitching staff was excellent tonight. Cross was lights out, really had the KSU offense off balance with the mix of fastballs and curves. 2 longballs by KSU was all he gave up. Very impressed with Over in his inning of relief and then Darras. I was surprised it wasn't Routolo but after reading on here that he is still suspended now I know why. If no one has seen Darras pitch he reminds me of Al Harbasky(spelling?) from the Cardinals in the 70's. Aside from a little control issue with 3 walks he was very effective. Sidearm pitcher with that wild, hurky, jerky motion.
As for the offense, it was nice seeing guys like Sundberg, Siena and Testani come up big especially with Davey and Melley have off nights. Deroche-Duff just missed a homer to right center by about 2 feet off the wall. The guys really worked the count tonight and made the KSU pitchers throw a lot of pitches and work deep into counts. They were very effective on the base paths with several stolen bases, just one base blunder with Hill getting picked off first with 1st and 3rd and 2 outs in the 8th.
Very good effort by the boys tonight. Hope they keep it up tomorrow afternoon.
KSU does have a lot of lefty batters so it will be nice to have the lefty Kay going tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Just back from Kennesaw. The pitching staff was excellent tonight. Cross was lights out, really had the KSU offense off balance with the mix of fastballs and curves. 2 longballs by KSU was all he gave up. Very impressed with Over in his inning of relief and then Darras. I was surprised it wasn't Routolo but after reading on here that he is still suspended now I know why. If no one has seen Darras pitch he reminds me of Al Harbasky(spelling?) from the Cardinals in the 70's. Aside from a little control issue with 3 walks he was very effective. Sidearm pitcher with that wild, hurky, jerky motion.
As for the offense, it was nice seeing guys like Sundberg, Siena and Testani come up big especially with Davey and Melley have off nights. Deroche-Duff just missed a homer to right center by about 2 feet off the wall. The guys really worked the count tonight and made the KSU pitchers throw a lot of pitches and work deep into counts. They were very effective on the base paths with several stolen bases, just one base blunder with Hill getting picked off first with 1st and 3rd and 2 outs in the 8th.
Very good effort by the boys tonight. Hope they keep it up tomorrow afternoon.
KSU does have a lot of lefty batters so it will be nice to have the lefty Kay going tomorrow.

Nice report. It's been a long time since I have thought of the Mad Hungarian, Al Hrabosky. Anyway, given how highly Devin Over was rated after his excellent summer baseball season, the big thing in determining his success will be his his ability to throw strikes. If Over has his control, he will do very well for the Huskies and make for an excellent twosome closing out games in tandem with Ruotolo (once he comes back).

Reaction Score
Uconn up 7 - 0 top of ninth. Kay pitching 2 hitter. If they can finish this game off they even there record at 4-4.

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 4:33pm via TweetDeck
FINAL | #UConn 7, No. 21 Kennesaw State 0. Dominant 8+ innings from Kay and the Huskies clinch the series!#BleedBlue
03.jpg

Reaction Score
Nice win vs a solid team. If we can hit a bit, I think this could be a good year. A win tomorrow for a sweep would be huge.

Reaction Score
Starting pitching has been unreal so far. If not for bullpen this could be a 6-2 team right now. Tabakman is not going to be easy for a Kennesaw team that is gonna be pressing to avoid being swept at home. Great couple wins by the huskies.

Hitters seem to be more patient at plate this year which is a welcome sign. Let's get that sweep.

Reaction Score
Starting pitching has been unreal so far. If not for bullpen this could be a 6-2 team right now. Tabakman is not going to be easy for a Kennesaw team that is gonna be pressing to avoid being swept at home. Great couple wins by the huskies.

Hitters seem to be more patient at plate this year which is a welcome sign. Let's get that sweep.

What strikes me is that there are a lot less mistakes in the field and on the bases this season, at least so far. They are starting to play like a veteran team. Of course, the starting lineup is now mostly Juniors and a few Seniors, so they are a veteran team out in the field. It's still early, but I'm starting to get excited about this team.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
i mean uconn is loaded this year, i'd expect good efforts like this. how the hell did a mediocre FAU club SWEEP us??????

Reaction Score
i mean uconn is loaded this year, i'd expect good efforts like this. how the hell did a mediocre FAU club SWEEP us??????
Just might have something to do with the fact it was the first time this year the team was able to play outdoors. FAU had just a little advantage there I would think. That and having your best relief pitcher sitting back in Storrs are two reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom