Baseball stadium news | The Boneyard

Baseball stadium news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the alumni game Coach Penders said that the renovation of the baseball field will happen in stages over the next several years. The first step will be the installation of artificial turf field that will be installed and ready for the 2017 season.

Reaction Score
Sigh...
Houston Baseball ⚾️‏@UHCougarBB 6h
IT'S OFFICIAL! @UHCougarBB to Build 20,000+ square-foot Player Development Center & Clubhouse at Cougar Field #M64
CQLFAfjUcAAT6Xe.jpg

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Sigh...
IT'S OFFICIAL! @UHCougarBB to Build 20,000+ square-foot Player Development Center & Clubhouse at Cougar Field #M64
CQLFAfjUcAAT6Xe.jpg

We don't even have lights at our field and they're building a baseball practice facility 25-30% of the size of Shenkman. As ahead of the AAC we were in basketball facilities we are the total opposite in baseball facilities. Wow.

Reaction Score
Sigh...
CQLFAfjUcAAT6Xe.jpg

Guys, if you think Houston Baseball is getting them out of the AAC you're crazy.

Also, you can't compare Texas college baseball to Northeast college baseball. There are DIII schools in Texas with facilities that would dwarf UConn.

In terms of national relevance, UConn is an outlier in that it is a Northeast school that can compete nationally in baseball. Really only St. John's can come close to being as relevant nationally.

Reaction Score
Guys, if you think Houston Baseball is getting them out of the AAC you're crazy.

Wasn't necessarily drawing that correlation but Houston IS spending money on their athletic facilities like a drunken sailor.

Reaction Score
Wasn't necessarily drawing that correlation but Houston IS spending money on their athletic facilities like a drunken sailor.

I could argue that with a new hockey arena, new soccer stadium, new basketball facilities and a possible new Gampel, that UConn is going all out as well.

Reaction Score

Also, you can't compare Texas college baseball to Northeast college baseball. There are DIII schools in Texas with facilities that would dwarf UConn.

In terms of national relevance, UConn is an outlier in that it is a Northeast school that can compete nationally in baseball. Really only St. John's can come close to being as relevant nationally.
There is a D-III school in the same town as UCONN that has a baseball facility that blows what is on campus out of the water.

Reaction Score
There is a D-III school in the same town as UCONN that has a baseball facility that blows what is on campus out of the water.
Exactly ECSU's stadium is light years ahead of JO Christian field. Have to believe it will be several years before serious upgrades are made

Reaction Score
I neglected to post this earlier, but Coach Penders also said at the Sunday alumni game that the total cost of the renovations to the baseball field would be $12 million by the time the ballpark improvements were completed. Aside from saying that the artificial turf would be installed in time for the 2017 season, he gave no time table for the rest of the improvements.

Reaction Score
I neglected to post this earlier, but Coach Penders also said at the Sunday alumni game that the total cost of the renovations to the baseball field would be $12 million by the time the ballpark improvements were completed. Aside from saying that the artificial turf would be installed in time for the 2017 season, he gave no time table for the rest of the improvements.
Any reason why they are going to field turf over traditional grass field?

Reaction Score

Weather considerations... tired of not being able to practice/play early spring games @ home field.

Reaction Score

Weather considerations... tired of not being able to practice/play early spring games @ home field.

A number of northeastern teams have artificial turf fields, including Central Connecticut State and Hartford. If you have a March or early April snowstorm, it is relatively easy to clear an artificial turf field without ruining it. Besides, grass doesn't grow too well in March and early April when they are trying to play games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
True with so much of their season taking place during what is still really winter up here it makes sense. hate to see artificial surface but stupid to have grass when essentially their season is complete by the time the warm weather and growing season is here.

$12M is a lot of beans to raise. But what a different experience will be when and if it gets built. Every time I drive thru Worchester and see Holy Cross's stadium I get jealous thinking about what could be if UCONN could ever get something that nice.

Reaction Score
True with so much of their season taking place during what is still really winter up here it makes sense. hate to see artificial surface but stupid to have grass when essentially their season is complete by the time the warm weather and growing season is here.

$12M is a lot of beans to raise. But what a different experience will be when and if it gets built. Every time I drive thru Worchester and see Holy Cross's stadium I get jealous thinking about what could be if UCONN could ever get something that nice.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
No idea where the donations stand, but $12M for renovations might not seem so daunting once Springer is arbitration eligible, let alone FA eligible. Not saying it's right to expect a donation, but it sure would help.

Turf is an absolute necessity IMO so it's good that they're at least getting that taken care of first.

Reaction Score
No idea where the donations stand, but $12M for renovations might not seem so daunting once Springer is arbitration eligible, let alone FA eligible. Not saying it's right to expect a donation, but it sure would help.

Turf is an absolute necessity IMO so it's good that they're at least getting that taken care of first.

After the rough winter, the poor condition of the field at JO Christian was often a topic of discussion during WHUS baseball broadcasts this past spring. Penders also talked about during post game interviews. While Penders much prefers grass fields, he said during those interviews that due to New England weather and the early spring college season, switching to an artificial turf field was pretty much a necessity for UConn baseball. I have to say I feel the same way.

Reaction Score
Sigh...
CQLFAfjUcAAT6Xe.jpg

Joseph_Duarte 6:42pm via Twitter for iPhone
Largest video board in college baseball nearing completion @UHCougarBB Cougar Field
CRy3lo8UEAANXxQ.jpg

Reaction Score
Love to see the Huskies play part of the schedule in Hartford. Not a ton of games, just enough to raise their profile. The place is starting to look like a baseball stadium.

12088200_442553519265763_8476164641419793589_n.jpg

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Love to see the Huskies play part of the schedule in Hartford. Not a ton of games, just enough to raise their profile. The place is starting to look like a baseball stadium.

12088200_442553519265763_8476164641419793589_n.jpg
They are scheduled to play UMass at Dunkin Donuts Park on May 10, 2016.

Reaction Score
They are scheduled to play UMass at Dunkin Donuts Park on May 10, 2016.

Glad they're going to have 1 game @ the dunk. I don't want it to be another basketball or another hockey (where they have multiple games downtown), but I never seen them play on campus yet or at all for that matter.

So, this is good news to get the casual (non-alumni) folks like myself to catch a game and hopefully follow them to their new stadium on campus.

(Which is what they should be doing for ice hockey).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom