UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 44 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I suspect we will continue to see a couple new California JUCO's every season. It has been a successful pipeline of more experienced newcomers ever since it really got going in the middle of the last decade with the recruitment of Blake Davey.

However, it seems the pipeline of players that the team has gotten from Avery Point over the years has really slacked off to a bit of a trickle. I'll miss the presence of Pointers in Storrs, but this occurrence is partly due to the uptick in baseball recruiting that has been going on in Storrs.
I still think there is room for "dirtdogs" on Penders roster. That is what the program is built on- tough local kids. The CA pipeline has been a boon to getting us closer to the top and doing damage in the NCAA's

Reaction Score
I still think there is room for "dirtdogs" on Penders roster. That is what the program is built on- tough local kids. The CA pipeline has been a boon to getting us closer to the top and doing damage in the NCAA's

UConn Baseball is still recruiting and getting commitments from local kids. I'm inclined to think that the coaching staff is still recruiting same type of tough hard nosed players, the only difference being with an increase in the talent level. I believe Penders has talked in interviews about recruiting the same type of kids in the past, but with an uptick in ability.

Reaction Score

This got posted elsewhere, but the last part of what @huskymedic quotes from this article definitely pertains to what @hardcorehusky is posting about here. Coach Penders has talked about recruiting the same sort of attitude in his players before, but he states it very well in this article.

>>"It's awesome," Penders said. "It doesn't get old. I pinch myself every day. I truly come out of the portal every day to see it pop the way you see your first baseball stadium coming out of the portal and it just opens up. It's a dream come true."

"It's just gorgeous. ... From a player development standpoint, from an aesthetics standpoint, from a motivational standpoint, it's a win, win win."<<

>>Now Penders has a gem of a new ballpark to help elevate his successful program to even greater heights.

"That's our hope," Penders said. "As a coach, you're always paranoid looking over your shoulder. Now the concern and the worry is we don't want to attract the kind of entitled player that might be attracted to the bells and whistles that we now have in our clubhouse or in our training room or weight room, or a ping pong table in our locker room. We want the same blue collar ethos in our players that we've always had and a chip on their shoulders.

"So we have to do an extra bit of homework and research on all our recruits to know that that's the type of character that we're continuing to get. It's easy to fall in love with the fact that there's guys that want to commit just seeing the pictures of the place. We still have to do our due diligence to make sure they're the right fit and they know what this place is really all about."<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PerfectGame.org rankings of recruits sometimes become visible to those who don't pay for the premium service. Right now all their rankings seem to be visible. Here are their rankings for the UConn baseball recruits are listed on their website (not everyone who has been reported as a UConn commit on this thread is listed on their website).

High school class of 2021:

500, which seems to work out more to the 500 to 999 range:

Matthew Garbowski - C/OF
Jackson Ferrigno - SS
Frank Mozzicato - LHP
Owen Kellington - RHP
Craig Pihlkar - RHP
Braden Quinn - LHP
Jack Sullivan - RHP
Ian Cooke - RHP
Brady Afthim - RHP

1000, which is over 1000.

Ramsey Collins - RHP
Zach Stephenson - OF
Joe Wozny - RHP

High school class of 2022:

322 - Ryan Daniels - Inf

Levi McAllister - C
Noah Sorensen - SS
Maddix Dalena - 1B/3B
Niki Brini - OF
Sam Clark - RHP

Gavin Greger - LHP/OF

High school Class of 2023:

Rated as a Follow:

Sean Stephenson - 3B

High school Class of 2024:

Rated as a High Follow:

Gabriel Tirado - C

Reaction Score
Neat upper 80’s already and he is still a couple years from campus. Jeez.

Penn State and Pitt must hate us. Our recruiting in Penn has absolutely had a negative impact on their programs lol

No question Pennsylvania is a continuing fertile recruiting ground for UConn baseball. I believe UConn baseball now has three recruits from Pennsylvania in the high school class of 2022.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
No question Pennsylvania is a continuing fertile recruiting ground for UConn baseball. I believe UConn baseball now has three recruits from Pennsylvania in the high school class of 2022.
Before the Fedko brothers, who were the recruits from PA that started the pipeline?

Reaction Score
Before the Fedko brothers, who were the recruits from PA that started the pipeline?

Before the Fedko's and Reggie Crawford, the biggest name during the 10 years or so that I've been following UConn baseball would have to be Max McDowell. Being in the northeast and not that far away from Storrs, I suspect UConn has always done some recruiting in the Keystone State.

Reaction Score
PerfectGame.com has J.J. Hood ranked in their 1000 ranking for the 2022 high school class.

Reaction Score

Frank Mozzicato signing his NLI today! So excited to watch him pitch. He’s one of my personal friends. From Ellington, Mozzicato attends East Catholic and has a lot of talent. His brother was the NEC rookie of the week for CCSU

one of the best breaking pitches I've seen in quite some time. And I've heard he has increased his velocity. I notice he's signing with his right-hand.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
one of the best breaking pitches I've seen in quite some time. And I've heard he has increased his velocity. I notice he's signing with his right-hand.

Not that it matters, but back in the days when I played baseball and softball I threw and batted left handed, but I write with my right hand as well.

Reaction Score
008.jpg

Thought I would post a little 2021 recruiting update. From what I have listed so far, there are 15 commitments for this class which is very high. Always gotta be on the lookout from de-commits or people transferring in from other schools. Not everyone has signed their NLI but there are quite a few that have. Please feel free to say if I should remove or add anyone to my list. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
View attachment 61470
Thought I would post a little 2021 recruiting update. From what I have listed so far, there are 15 commitments for this class which is very high. Always gotta be on the lookout from de-commits or people transferring in from other schools. Not everyone has signed their NLI but there are quite a few that have. Please feel free to say if I should remove or add anyone to my list. Go Huskies!

Not everyone tweets out signing their Intent letter, and it is quite possible someone did but it just hasn't turned up on this thread, so I am not overly concerned about that. A few of the tweeted signings came from an entity other than the player.

Personally, I have my doubts that Joe Wozny (who was originally a high school class of 2020 and originally signed an intent letter to go to UConn starting the fall of 2020) will ever end up in Storrs, but I have found nothing on the internet to confirm this suspicion, so at this point it is probably best to leave him on the committed list until something more definite turns up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[
PerfectGame.org rankings of recruits sometimes become visible to those who don't pay for the premium service. Right now all their rankings seem to be visible. Here are their rankings for the UConn baseball recruits are listed on their website (not everyone who has been reported as a UConn commit on this thread is listed on their website).

High school class of 2021:

Matthew Garbowski - C/OF
Jackson Ferrigno - SS
Frank Mozzicato - LHP
Owen Kellington - RHP
Craig Pihlkar - RHP
Braden Quinn - LHP
Jack Sullivan - RHP
Ian Cooke - RHP
Brady Afthim - RHP

Ramsey Collins - RHP
Zach Stephenson - OF
Joe Wozny - RHP

High school class of 2022:

322 - Ryan Daniels - Inf

Levi McAllister - C
Noah Sorensen - SS
Maddix Dalena - 1B/3B
Niki Brini - OF
Sam Clark - RHP

Gavin Greger - LHP/OF

High school Class of 2023:

Rated as a Follow:

Sean Stephenson - 3B

High school Class of 2024:

Rated as a High Follow:

Gabriel Tirado - C

PerfectGame.com has made a few changes in the above ratings for UConn recruits:

For the 2021 high school class, Ramsey Collins is now in the National Rank 500, moving up from National Rank 1000.

2022, Ryan Daniels has moved from 322 to 486. J.J. Hood is now National Rank 500, moving up from National Rank 1000.

2023, Sean Stephenson is now National Rank 1000.

2024, Gabriel Tirado is now at 205.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom