UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 43 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
2022 UConn commit Ryan Daniels - PBR's top rated shortstop in New England, 488th junior in the country.

PBR article (link below) on 2022 commit Ryan Daniels, on his difficult decision to decommit from Stetson (he verballed as an 8th grader), why he chose UConn, and his family.

Why UConn:
“The new field, the new locker rooms, the program and the success they’ve had the last 10 years with the most wins in college baseball,” Daniels listed off reasons why UConn was the perfect fit. “With the recent success and how many they put in the big leagues, not just the minor leagues, it’s right for me.

“I know a lot about the coaching staff, too. They made a big impact. Plus, playing around the state and seeing all the UConn commits you know. It’s a Who’s Who of players. I really like the kids that are going there.”

PerfectGame.com has Ryan Daniels at No. 322 nationally in the class of 2022. Nice to know that both these recruiting services have Daniels highly ranked.

Reaction Score
Getting a recruit from a place like Wisconsin is definitely off the normal northeastern recruiting footprint UConn Baseball. Perhaps the new baseball facilities having something of an influence here, although it does seem that UConn Baseball does pull in the occasional recruit from the midwest (whether they end up staying is another story).

U Wisconsin I believe is the only B1G school without a baseball team, though I am not sure if any programs have been recently cut.

Reaction Score
U Wisconsin I believe is the only B1G school without a baseball team, though I am not sure if any programs have been recently cut.

The University of Wisconsin has not had a baseball team for at least several years now. I do recall UConn had another player from Wisconsin, that being Ryan Radue, who pitched for the Huskies a few years ago.

Reaction Score
More on Thomas Ellisen:

>Thomas Ellisen, RHP/INF, Kimberly, 2021
6-foot-3, 185 pounds; premium combination of athleticism and size. Ellisen has enjoyed a productive summer that’s landed him way up the senior rankings. Most of that attention came from his work on the mound, where his velocity just continued to climb throughout the year, up to 89 mph at the end of the summer. However, he may need to be earning some more attention for his right-handed bat, in addition to his upside on the mound. He tallied four hits at this tourney without striking out, and he’s a sub-7.00 runner with a raw athleticism that could be molded into a viable third base profile. Either way, Ellisen remains one of the more intriguing uncommitted players in Wisconsin’s senior class.<

Reaction Score
tried putting together a little grid like the basketball and hockey pages have. I am sure I'm missing a name or so bare with me but its a simple one pager that shows who is listed as committed in next couple classes.
baseball commits.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
tried putting together a little grid like the basketball and hockey pages have. I am sure I'm missing a name or so bare with me but its a simple one pager that shows who is listed as committed in next couple classes. View attachment 59812

Ramsey Collins shows up twice in the Class of 2021. I'm not convinced Joe Wozny is coming to UConn after shifting to the Class of 2021, but we'll see about that in the future. I suspect Sean Stephenson may be Class of 2022, but both PerfectGame and PrepBaseballReport do list him as 2023. The placement of Wozny and Sean Stephenson would be a question mark on any list at this point. Otherwise, this list checks out with what I have compiled from what has been reported on this thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ramsey Collins shows up twice in the Class of 2021. I'm not convinced Joe Wozny is coming to UConn after shifting to the Class of 2021, but we'll see about that in the future. I suspect Sean Stephenson may be Class of 2022, but both PerfectGame and PrepBaseballReport do list him as 2023. The placement of Wozny and Sean Stephenson would be a question mark on any list at this point. Otherwise, this list checks out with what I have compiled from what has been reported on this thread.
good catch...I was just making sure you folks read it closely ;)

Reaction Score
good catch...I was just making sure you folks read it closely ;)

Well, you had 15 recruits for 2021, and I had 14 names on my list for that year. I knew there was something up pretty quickly, but it took me several minutes to figure out just what it was.

Reaction Score

Gabriel Tirado has verbally committed to UConn!!! He is, according to Perfect Game and Prep Baseball Report as a 2024 so he is a current freshman in high school, super young. Current has a PG 8 rating and is listed as a 5-9 195 C/1B/3B! Is from Newington CT and attends Loomis Chaffee high school. He appears to be a very good catcher and is a fantastic start to the future!!!!

Reaction Score
Big time power hitter - lefty. My son pitched against him in LL and got him out 2 out of 3 at bats. One was a mile high pop that only people with big pop hit. That will be his claim to fame lol.
Awesome pickup for UConn

Reaction Score

Gabriel Tirado has verbally committed to UConn!!! He is, according to Perfect Game and Prep Baseball Report as a 2024 so he is a current freshman in high school, super young. Current has a PG 8 rating and is listed as a 5-9 195 C/1B/3B! Is from Newington CT and attends Loomis Chaffee high school. He appears to be a very good catcher and is a fantastic start to the future!!!!

I've been following UConn baseball recruiting for several years now, and this is a new one to me. I'm not sure I have ever seen before a player commit to UConn baseball during his freshman year in high school. For that matter, UConn baseball will get the occasional recruit to commit during their sophomore year, but that is fairly rare in itself as well. I'm am quite used to seeing players commit to UConn baseball during the summer before their junior year.

Reaction Score
From Gabriel Tirado's profile page on Prep Baseball Report:

>8/12/20
5-foot-9, 195-pound left-handed hitting catcher. He ran a 7.97 sixty at the event. The skill set behind the dish is solid for such a young player. He receives the baseball softly and moves athletically. He threw 77 mph with a pop time of 1.93. The bat has an exit velocity of 101 mph. The setup is even in base and the front foot steps into the pitch. The front foot has a high pick up and put down to it. The hands have plus life and the path is flat to slightly uphill at contact. He shows plus power in batting practice but may have to tone down the leg lift in game action. Good prospect.<

And from his profile page on PerfectGame:

>LATEST PG SHOWCASE REPORT

2020 PG 14U SUMMER NORTHEAST SHOWCASE

Gabriel Tirado is a 2024 C/1B, 3B with a 5-9 195 lb. frame from Newington, CT who attends The Loomis Chaffee. Bigger body with some strength to the build at present, Ran a 7.90 second 60-yard dash. Primary catcher, worked out behind the plate with soft hands receiving, good footwork to transition to throws, gains ground well and has some arm strength with carry on throws at present popping down to a 2.02 second best pop time. Left-handed hitter, starts with a hanging leg lift trigger, uses quickness in the hands and a lofted swing plane to create good carry off the barrel and let the strength in the swing play in a big way. Named to 2020 14u Summer Northeast Showcase Top Prospect List.<

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Big pick up. This is a kid I mentioned on this board 12 + months ago on this board around the time Greger committed out of the Ct rivals program. Big time bat, very good catcher.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am familiar with the program (CT rivals). Gavin is a very solid pickup who I believe projects better as a pitcher but as stated earlier this kid is speedy in OF.
There are a few other kids I would have my eye on in the CT rivals program. Most significantly I would be looking at Gabby Tirado who may be the most offensively developed catcher I have seen at age 13.
From last July...

Reaction Score
Wowza. This kid is much closer to his little league career than being at UConn. I can’t imagine making this decision six months before he plays his first inning of high school baseball. I guess the new amenities, recent on-field success and a stable staff recruits itself these days now.

Reaction Score

This. I hope they don’t stop recruiting California Juco. They have had too much success and kids come ready to play. Plus it’s better than trying to fill out a roster from entirely the northeast. Geographic Diversity is a good thing.

Reaction Score
This. I hope they don’t stop recruiting California Juco. They have had too much success and kids come ready to play. Plus it’s better than trying to fill out a roster from entirely the northeast. Geographic Diversity is a good thing.

I suspect we will continue to see a couple new California JUCO's every season. It has been a successful pipeline of more experienced newcomers ever since it really got going in the middle of the last decade with the recruitment of Blake Davey.

However, it seems the pipeline of players that the team has gotten from Avery Point over the years has really slacked off to a bit of a trickle. I'll miss the presence of Pointers in Storrs, but this occurrence is partly due to the uptick in baseball recruiting that has been going on in Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom