UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 41 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
From PerfectGame.com on Sam Clark's profile page.

>2018 NORTHEAST PROSPECT SHOWCASE

Sam Clark is a 2022 RHP/OF with a 6-0 150 lb. frame from Scarborough, ME who attends Scarborough. Medium frame with slender, projectable build; ran 60 yard dash in 7.73 seconds. Primary righthanded pitcher, methodical pace to delivery, offline arm stroke through back with some stab, pretty easy delivery, somewhat crossfire with good angle, fastball worked 76-80 mph with good arm side life, also showed slider and changeup with varying degrees of feel. Hits from slightly open stance with leg lift trigger, good looseness to stroke with hands, gets barrel moving, drives off backside well, hands work inside the ball, good contact skills. Worked out in the outfield, reads hops well, fields out front with two hands, tends to halt momentum, lower slot release, arm strength clocked up to 81 mph. Very good student.<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would guess he's Todd's younger brother

Jack sure isn't Todd's older brother, but yes, you are right.

From Jack Petersen's profile on PrepBaseballReport.com:

>6/19/19
6-foot-3, 170-pound right-handed hitting infielder and pitcher. Positionally, ran a 7.24 sixty on the laser at the event. The approach in the infield needs to be smoothed out with the feet, the hands are soft and clean. Threw 75 mph across the diamond from shortstop to first base. The bat has a tee exit velocity of 84 mph. The setup is wide, small pick up and put down of the front foot as the ball approaches the hitting zone. The hands work clean to the ball, long and strong to contact. On the mound, the fastball sat 81- 82 mph, minimal arm side run. The spin pitch is big in shape, sitting 66-67 mph. The changeup is 75 mph and a work in progress. The delivery is online with the feet and the slot is high in nature. The tracking of the front shoulder comes offline and he has a minor pull to the first base side, taking away from his extension. The arm works well.
Tee Exit Velocity- 84 mph
INF Velocity - 75 mph

7/24/18
6-foot-3, 170-pound, large, long, lean athletic frame. The shoulders are rounded, has room for growth, going to be extremely physical at some point. One of the better players at this event. A two-way player, showed above average ability from both sides of the field for his age. At the plate, has potential to be a serious power guy down the road. At the plate, the hands are set lower are super loose with the bat having tilt to it. The lower half is under control, uses a smooth controlled leg kick, could gain ground with stride. The swing is level to up, finishes with two hands above the shoulder. The barrel stays in the zone, looks to drive the baseball from the middle to pull side. The tee exit velocity was clocked at 85 mph and runs well for a big kid at 4.45 down the line. Defensively, hands are soft and relaxed on the catch, clean feet, shuffle for the transfer. The arm works out of a natural ¾ slot, more of a flip to the throw, good touch across the diamond, clocked at 68 mph, with much more in there. Double play feeds were clean and on time. Off the mound, the fastball reached 78 mph with action to the arm side. The breaking ball was clocked at 59-62 mph, break was 11/5. Showed a change at times, clocked at 65-71 mph. Times to the plate, were at 1.32, worked quick and attacked the hitter. The backside lower half drops, could stay taller throughout, front glove tucks early, gets off line. Couple simple adjustments, look for velocity to jump. Big time prospect, has more in the arm.
Home-First: 4.45
Exit Velocity: 85 MPH
Arm Velocity: 68 MPH<

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Doing some mid morning research on PG, Owen (the Vermont kid) was also being recruited by Stetson, Washington, BC, and Northeastern.

Who knew Stetson recruited New England so hard?

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I would think there is still a chance Calvin Ziegler might arrive in Storrs, as you never know how the MLB draft will shake out. As for Adrian Siravo, with him going the JUCO route, I can't see that happening at this point.

Ziegler is retweeting posts listing him as a UConn commitment. I think we have a good chance unless he is a top 10 pick in the draft (very possible).

Reaction Score

Ryan Juliano is a class of 2022 middle infielder from Bedford, New Hampshire. UConn seems to be pulling in a number of recruits from northern New England of late.

New England has good baseball talent, in spite of the weather. With increasing success on the field and going from a high school field stuck on the edge of college campus to arguably the best collegiate baseball complex in all of New England (maybe the Northeast?), expect an uptick in talent. The Huskies won't get kids who are good enough to get offers from the best ACC and SEC programs; but, they should able anybody else in the area, including the B1G.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
New England has good baseball talent, in spite of the weather. With increasing success on the field and going from a high school field stuck on the edge of college campus to arguably the best collegiate baseball complex in all of New England (maybe the Northeast?), expect an uptick in talent. The Huskies won't get kids who are good enough to get offers from the best ACC and SEC programs; but, they should able anybody else in the area, including the B1G.

Even then, we do sometimes beat out big time ACC programs (Daniels, Crawford, Winkel, etc)

Reaction Score
The newly constructed baseball complex is on the edge of campus.

Reaction Score
Ziegler is retweeting posts listing him as a UConn commitment. I think we have a good chance unless he is a top 10 pick in the draft (very possible).

I just checked Ziegler’s Instagram, he no longer has the committed post on his page and no longer had the Uconn commit thing in his bio.... uh oh

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Best bet that he is probably going pro, but is still willing to come here if he is drafted lower than expected.

Reaction Score
Best bet that he is probably going pro, but is still willing to come here if he is drafted lower than expected.

That is my expectation as well. When you get involved with highly rated recruits like this, not all of them are going to arrive on campus, and you just have to expect that. It just makes you more appreciative of the guys like Pat Winkel and Reggie Crawford who end up playing college ball.

Reaction Score
Follow-up story: Kron '22 Makes It Official - Xavier High School

>>Kron has been recruited in both sports. He says as of now he will only play baseball but has left the door open to trying to play both baseball and football at UConn.<<

Baseball gonna have a good intramural flag team w/ him and Billings ;)

Two sport UConn athletes weren't terribly uncommon back in the day. I think the Dropo brothers all played three sports. More recently, Keith Kraham ('72) was all Yankee Conference in both football (TE) and baseball (OF). Kraham was a Dell All American in basketball in high school, too. Randy Lavigne (early-mid '70's, I think) was a valuable player on both the basketball and baseball teams. I'm sure there are dozens of others, but those leap to mind.

Reaction Score
Two sport UConn athletes weren't terribly uncommon back in the day. I think the Dropo brothers all played three sports. More recently, Keith Kraham ('72) was all Yankee Conference in both football (TE) and baseball (OF). Kraham was a Dell All American in basketball in high school, too. Randy Lavigne (early-mid '70's, I think) was a valuable player on both the basketball and baseball teams. I'm sure there are dozens of others, but those leap to mind.
John Crisp also played and started in 2 sports - Football - Split end & Basketball - forward, he was a couple of years ahead of Keith

Reaction Score

Easy for me to keep track of Randy Lavigne. In 1978-79 he was a senior, which happened to be my freshman year at UConn.

Reaction Score
Easy for me to keep track of Randy Lavigne. In 1978-79 he was a senior, which happened to be my freshman year at UConn.
Don’t forget Dennis Long. Although more known for baseball he did play with Randy on the basketball and baseball teams. Less than a point per game for hoop

Reaction Score
John Crisp also played and started in 2 sports - Football - Split end & Basketball - forward, he was a couple of years ahead of Keith

I remember the name. I had a couple friends on the football team in the early '70's. I think he was nicknamed "Dispo" because of his disposition.

Reaction Score

Sean Stephenson is a 2022 INF/OF/RHP from Bishop Feehan High School in MA

>>8/02/20 Future Games --> 5-foot-11, 180-pound left-handed hitting corner infielder. He had a very good 3 days in Dubois. He ran a 7.5 sixty at the event. The glove is solid at third base and he keeps the feet active during the process. I would like to see him work on moving side to side a bit better, which would help his defense. He threw 80 mph across the diamond as he has plenty of arm across the diamond. The bat has an exit velocity of 94 mph. The setup is narrow in base and the stance is upright. The front foot steps into the swing as the ball approaches the hitting zone. The path is clean to contact and has a feel for the barrel. The path is slightly uphill to contact and he made consistent contact throughout the 3 game set.

Exit Velocity- 94 mph
INF Velocity- 80 mph<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom