UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 28 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
More on Matt Garbowski from Prep Baseball Report:

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Matthew Garbowski

>9.19.18

5-foot-11, 175-pound, strong, physical frame, has strength throughout, hands, wrists and lower half have above average strength for his age. A left-handed hitting catcher, has a big arm, clocked at 82 mph, downhill flight, absolute rocket coming out of his hand. The pop time was a legit 1.90-2.10. The setup behind the dish is wide and even based, right foot replaces left foot in transfer, front side closes down and everything is tracked towards target. The hands are extremely strong on the catch, gets around the baseball, doesn't lose many pitches. At the plate, setup is balanced, feet are slightly wider than shoulder width, front foot starts open. The hands are held at the shoulders, bats starts in a flat position. The swing is short to contact, powerful, path is level through the zone, finishes at the shoulders with two hands. The approach is more middle of the field with good power to pull side, had a tee exit velocity of 87 mph, hard solid round of batting practice. Runs very well for a catcher, clocked at 7.19 in the sixty-yard dash on a slow track. Big time prospect, look for him to go off the board quick, potential to be a pro down the road.<

Reaction Score
His twitter account shows him as a UConn commit. Right hand pitcher.

Zach Donahue (@zdonahue21) | Twitter

Zach Donahue - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Here's a scouting account from Prep Baseball Report from last year:

SOUTH WINDSOR VS AVON SCOUTING NOTES - 5/27/16
By Trevor Brown
Co-Director of Scouting

Zachary Donahue, RHP, South Windsor, 2019
Scouting Report:
Only a freshman was very impressive with his start against Avon. He throws strikes, throwing a 4seam fastball at 78-80 MPH, a 2-seam fastball with good cut at 76 MPH, a tight slider at 70-71 MPH, and a curveball at 63-65 MPH. He had command of his offspeed throwing them for first pitch strikes, but sometimes lost command of his fastball. He got himself in a jam, but did not lose composure at all. He battled through it and got out of it without letting up a run. I liked his slider the best and can see it being a very good strikeout pitch. With him only being a freshman he has a lot of time to develop to become a dominate pitcher.

Prep Baseball Report > Massachusetts > News

Reaction Score
Cohen's battle inspiring Indian Hills baseball

Perhaps the saga of Ryan Radue's cancer story helped influence the decision to commit to UConn.

Cohen signed yesterday during the official signing window. As both of my kids play in the rec baseball program in town, we've met his family during the fundraisers that took place a few year back when he was sick. Great to see how he battled through and the support he had from his family.

Fall Signing Day, 2018: N.J. baseball players commit to college ball
  • Indian Hills, Josh Cohen, RHP, Connecticut
Coach Hill has a good program at Hills. The best player in the class of 2018 went to V Tech. The other high school is the district has a kid going to Mississippi St. Some good baseball.

There's a second local player going to UConn, too, Sam Favieri, a RHP from Ridgewood. 'Wood is a Lax town, they send usually 4 of so boys and 4 or girls to D1 programs each year. A baseball D1 recruit is unusual for them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As expected: Wilbur Cross’ Marrero signs NLI to play baseball at UConn

>>Andrew Marrero has been on UConn’s radar for some time. He verbally committed two years ago, months before he was to being his sophomore season at Wilbur Cross. He never wavered in his commitment since and signed a national letter of intent at the high school Thursday to make it official: Marrero will play baseball for the Huskies.<<

>>Marrero is the first recruit for Penders to play for one of the city schools in New Haven.<<

>>“He’s got a very good fastball and an explosive slider. Look at his strikeouts last year, 94 in 52 innings, and only 18 walks. He’s a workhorse, he has a rubber arm.<<

Reaction Score
Chris Brown - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Trumbull High SS Chris Brown - HS c/o 2019.

Prep Baseball Report recently got around to adding Chris Brown to their list of UConn recruits, they also have this comment on him:

>A right-handed hitting middle infielder. The top tool is his ability to swing the bat. Runs well for a bigger player, shows to have very good athletic ability. Look for him to hit and hit with power, may have to make a move to the outfield at some point.<

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Chris Brown

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Adrian Siravo Class of 2020 - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Per PG, our latest 2020 commit is Adrian Siravo - 6'4'' RHP from Gilmanton, NH.

Made 1st team all state as a sophomore..
and multiple people on the NH first team were drafted out of high school. His travel coach thinks he is a pro ball talent.

This might be another player who we hold our breath on draft day when he is a senior...good problem to have though.

Reaction Score
From what I have seen over the last few years, December through April is usually a very slow time for announcing baseball recruiting commitments. As such, it would seem to be a good time to post a summary of future UConn baseball recruiting commitments that have been posted in this recruiting thread:

2020 season

Gavin Kee - OF/C/1B
Tyler Griggs - 3B/2B
Chris Brown - 3B
Todd Petersen - 3B/SS

Andrew Marrero - RHP
Max Nielsen - LHP
Zach Donahue - RHP
Sam Favieri - RHP
Patrick Gallagher - RHP
Joshua Cohen - RHP
Reggie Crawford - LHP

2021 season

David Christoforo - 1B/C
Phoenix Billings - SS
Bryan Padilla - SS

Joe Wozny - RHP
Saar Rosa - RHP
Brendan O’Donnell - LHP/1B
Adrian Siravo - RHP

2022 season

Matthew Garbowski - C/OF

Reaction Score
From what I have seen over the last few years, December through April is usually a very slow time for announcing baseball recruiting commitments. As such, it would seem to be a good time to post a summary of future UConn baseball recruiting commitments that have been posted in this recruiting thread:

2020 season

Gavin Kee - OF/C/1B
Tyler Griggs - 3B/2B
Chris Brown - 3B
Todd Petersen - 3B/SS

Andrew Marrero - RHP
Max Nielsen - LHP
Zach Donahue - RHP
Sam Favieri - RHP
Patrick Gallagher - RHP
Joshua Cohen - RHP
Reggie Crawford - LHP

2021 season

David Christoforo - 1B/C
Phoenix Billings - SS
Bryan Padilla - SS

Joe Wozny - RHP
Saar Rosa - RHP
Brendan O’Donnell - LHP/1B
Adrian Siravo - RHP

2022 season

Matthew Garbowski - C/OF
On the 2021 season I believe you left out that outfielder from New Hampshire. I don't remember his name, but I remember his coach referring him as a 5 tool player.

Reaction Score
On the 2021 season I believe you left out that outfielder from New Hampshire. I don't remember his name, but I remember his coach referring him as a 5 tool player.
I believe you are thinking of Adrian Siravo, who is listed.

Reaction Score

I believe you are thinking of Adrian Siravo, who is listed.

It is Adrian Siravo, who I have listed as a pitcher since that is how the recruiting websites tend to list him. Of course, for me trying to list some players by their positions is kind of like trying to read tea leaves.

Reaction Score
Yeah, my bad. A few pages back, I remember reading that a 5 tool position player from New Hampshire committed.
Earlier on this page a pitcher from NH commuted. I thought we had 2 players from NH.
I didn't realize they were one and the same.
Anyways, he sounds like a great prospect. Hope MLB doesn't get him first.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
2nd ranked player from the 2020 Canadian class...is on the Canadian junior national team to boot. Throws 87-89 right now.

Another monstrous get. Whoever the hell our recruiting coordinator is for baseball should be taken out for a steak dinner.

Reaction Score
Coach Penders is now getting into international recruiting, even if it is Canada.

More on Calvin Ziegler from Prep Baseball Report:

>11.01.18
Ziegler is a 5-foot-11, 175-pound right-hander with easy and loose arm from a clean 3/4 slot. Not much effort involved and gets out front with feel and a repeatable delivery. Spins an overhand curveball in the 72-74 range that backs off his fastball that sits in the 85-88 range while touching 89. He plays outfield and is aggressive at the plate with bat speed but the arm has a chance to be real special. Has gone under the radar but that won't last long. Top 2020 RHP in Ontario, lookout for Ziegler early in 2019. <

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Calvin Ziegler

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
85-89 before your junior year in high school typically means 90's in college.

He is also a top 500 prospect overall, which considering there are over 300 D1 teams makes him a borderline blue chip prospect (and this is ignoring that some 5 star players, like Burrows, turn pro...I hope he goes undrafted or is drafted late so he winds up here). Keep them coming Penders!

Reaction Score
Looks like a nice bunch of pitchers arriving in Storrs for the 2021 season, headed by Joe Wozny, Adrian Siravo, and Calvin Ziegler.

UConn baseball recruiting usually slows up during the dead of winter. Not this winter, with three commits in the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coach Penders is now getting into international recruiting, even if it is Canada.

More on Calvin Ziegler from Prep Baseball Report:

>11.01.18
Ziegler is a 5-foot-11, 175-pound right-hander with easy and loose arm from a clean 3/4 slot. Not much effort involved and gets out front with feel and a repeatable delivery. Spins an overhand curveball in the 72-74 range that backs off his fastball that sits in the 85-88 range while touching 89. He plays outfield and is aggressive at the plate with bat speed but the arm has a chance to be real special. Has gone under the radar but that won't last long. Top 2020 RHP in Ontario, lookout for Ziegler early in 2019. <

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Calvin Ziegler
Wow... unbelievably giant pickup. His twitter feed features a video of him hitting 100 with a crow hop. As a freaking 5’11” high school junior! Imagine when this Canadian is a 6’2”-6’3” college freshman... he and Wozny are two of the best RHP prospects I’ve seen commit to UConn since I started following the team (~2011). Zapata came in with all the hype of course but didn’t quite live up to it. If these two guys and some of other other highly rated prospects do, we might not leave the top 25-35 for a few years.

Reaction Score
Wow... unbelievably giant pickup. His twitter feed features a video of him hitting 100 with a crow hop. As a freaking 5’11” high school junior! Imagine when this Canadian is a 6’2”-6’3” college freshman... he and Wozny are two of the best RHP prospects I’ve seen commit to UConn since I started following the team (~2011). Zapata came in with all the hype of course but didn’t quite live up to it. If these two guys and some of other other highly rated prospects do, we might not leave the top 25-35 for a few years.

Ronnie Rossomando, who was drafted out of high school, can keep Zapata company as recent pitchers who came in with a lot of hype but didn't live up to the expectations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom