UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
there was a junior pitcher who's about 6'5" who throws smoke.
I'm assuming he's a D-1 prospect.

Reaction Score
there was a junior pitcher who's about 6'5" who throws smoke.
I'm assuming he's a D-1 prospect.

Hmmm... Could be Mike Concato or Sam Neplarsky (both are under 6-2). Hadn't heard (or remember reading) that either committed to a college yet but I could clearly be wrong. Concato just had a solid Legion season for Orange.

Reaction Score
I saw a kid come in and pitch the last inning of the SCC Championship and was lights out. He was definitely 6'4"ish

Reaction Score
I saw a kid come in and pitch the last inning of the SCC Championship and was lights out. He was definitely 6'4"ish

We're both right ;) and my memory is not what it used to be. It's Nepiarsky that has already committed to Uconn,

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/connecticut/tag/_/name/sam-nepiarsky

But both are 6-1.

Nepiarsky - http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=271478
http://www.battersboxonline.net/18ubbombers.html (note commit Griffin Garabedian is on team as well)

Concato - http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=304094#boxd0

Reaction Score
We're both right ;) and my memory is not what it used to be. It's Nepiarsky that has already committed to Uconn,

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/connecticut/tag/_/name/sam-nepiarsky

But both are 6-1.

Nepiarsky - http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=271478
http://www.battersboxonline.net/18ubbombers.html (note commit Griffin Garabedian is on team as well)

Concato - http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=304094#boxd0
if Sam is 6'1", Sienna is 5'6"!!! ... but I'm very happy both will be Huskies!

Reaction Score
if Sam is 6'1", Sienna is 5'6"!!! ... but I'm very happy both will be Huskies!
PG Crosschecker mentions UConn landed 4 big time players. One can look up players if you know the names. Ruotolo, Garabedian, and Sweeney are listed with UConn. Nepiarsky & Malone aren't yet. This means Penders has signed another player listed with PG. Anyone know who this player is?

Reaction Score
I dug up that 4th player listed on PG. It's Anthony Kay a 6' LHP from Stonybrook NY. He had offers from Stonybrook, St. John's & SC-Sumpter. PG lists him as a high honorable mention AA.
They list Sweeney as a 3rd team AA, while Ruotolo is an honorable mention AA. Garabedian isn't ranked.
So, with the above 4, along with Malone & Nepiarsky we know of 6 recruits. Usually Penders recruits between 10-12 each year.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
After doing a little digging, it looks like one of the players is Ryan Sullivan plays for the Evoshield Canes AAU team, is from MA and plays 3B. He is listed currently as the #216 player in the country, #1 in MA and #15 at his position.
What site did you see him ranked that high?

Reaction Score
Zach Braziller@NYPost_Brazille
Poly Prep pitcher Andrew Zapata has committed to UConn, he told The Post. LSU, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Maryland also involved.#privatebaseball

Great grab...

NYC's Top pitcher Zapata verbally commits to UConn

By ZACH BRAZILLER
Last Updated: 4:30 PM, August 19, 2012
Posted: 4:30 PM, August 19, 2012

Poly Prep's Andrew Zapata, the consensus top pitcher in New York City, has committed to Connecticut, The Post has learned.

Zapata picked the Big East school on Saturday, he said, choosing UConn over a swarm of top Division I programs, such as Kentucky, LSU, Stanford, St. John's, Ole Miss and Maryland.

He visited UConn Aug. 1 and also saw Maryland, which will have former Grand Street Campus duo Jose Cuas and Kevin Martir onboard this fall. UConn's starting rotation will have a local feel down the road, as former Iona Prep star righthander Matt D'Ariano is part of this year's recruiting class.

The flame-throwing righthander, The Post's Player of the Year as a sophomore and an All-City first team selection last spring, will receive a full scholarship, a source said, which is unheard of in college baseball.
Zapata has led Poly Prep to consecutive NYSAISAA titles, tossing one-hit complete games in the finals in back to back years.

"I chose UConn because it is a perfect fit for me and my family," Zapata said. "It has an excellent kinesiology program, which is what I want to study, and it has one of the best baseball programs around. Being only a few hours from campus, my family can easily come watch me play, and that means so much to me."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/baseball/nyc_top_pitcher_zapata_verbally_k3O36UmG79Ksm9lI1Q8DTL#ixzz241tpBc5I

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
So we have the #1 recruits from Mass, CT, AND NEw York City? Holy mole.....we look really good for years to come.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What are the odds he doesn't get drafted and actually makes it to UConn?

Reaction Score
Penders could sell ice to an eskimo, but this kid better be really good. A full scholarship is alot.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Penders could sell ice to an eskimo, but this kid better be really good. A full scholarship is alot.
A full scholarship is serious business but if Penders thinks he can be the next Matt Barnes he had to do what he could to get him to commit and give him extra incentive to pass on the draft should he be taken.

Fortunately, if this kid is that good the team will be better for it which will make recruiting easier in the next couple of years while he is here. Instead of offering a couple kids in the future a half scholarship maybe you can get them for a quarter because you can sell them the idea of making a trip to Omaha. The same way we have to give this kid more to get him here now, hopefully we can get kids for less later.

Reaction Score
Wow!!! Penders really can recruit. Probably makes sense for UConn to give out a full scolie on this guy. I believe Zapata is #7 for 2013. Usually UConn gives out 10-12 partials. This year it'll probably be 1 full and 8-9 partials.
Hopefully, we don't lose him to MLB in the spring.

Reaction Score
He was also recruited by Stanford...and he wants to major in Kinesiology...Article says he was offered a full scholarship..it does not say he was offered a full Baseball scholarship. Besides being a good player he is obviously very bright...I bet he received 1/2 baseball and 1/2 academic

mets1090

Reaction Score
He was also recruited by Stanford...and he wants to major in Kinesiology...Article says he was offered a full scholarship..it does not say he was offered a full Baseball scholarship. Besides being a good player he is obviously very bright...I bet he received 1/2 baseball and 1/2 academic
Good point on the half and half. Hopefully he really does value his EKIN education and the ability for his parents to watch him pitch because those are two things he won't get if he goes pro out of high school.

Reaction Score
PG crosschecker has many of our 2013 recruits ranked highly. Zapata is listed as a 2nd team AA.
Sullivan is a 3rd team AA. Anthony Kay, a LHP from Stonybrook LI is a high honorable mention AA. While Pat Ruotolo a RHP from Peabody MA is an honorable mention AA.
No mention for Tom Milone from Masuk or Griffin Garabedian from NDWH. Both are reported to be quick with great OF arms. Milone supposedly has pop in his bat. While Garabediann is more of a leadoff type.
Don't know much about Sam Nepiarsky from Amity. He'll definately get plenty of coverage in the NH Register next spring.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Good stuff Yonick. And when you consider that a bunch of the 1st and 2nd team AAs will likely get drafted and never play in college, we will have some very highly ranked Freshmen next year.

Reaction Score
Good stuff Yonick. And when you consider that a bunch of the 1st and 2nd team AAs will likely get drafted and never play in college, we will have some very highly ranked Freshmen next year.
Thanks, we do have to keep our fingers crossed on Zapata & Sullivan. Although a different article in the NY Post seems to indicate Zapata wants to be close to home over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Olsen is smallish, only around 5'9" but he joins Kay as a PG high honorable mention AA.
We now have a 2nd & 3rd team AA. Two high Honorable mentions and 1 Honorable mention.
My guess is we have the makings of a top 25 recruiting class.

Reaction Score
I am not an expert on baseball recruiting, but it seems we have signed a great class, maybe as highly regarded as any we ever had. i know there was a previous discussion regarding our new assistants and there ability to recruit high caliber players. For the people that know more than I about this, does this recruiting class satisfy your worries about our assistants. Or do you think this is more a reflection of the job Penders has done. I am not trying to flame, just a serious question.

Reaction Score
I am not an expert on baseball recruiting, but it seems we have signed a great class, maybe as highly regarded as any we ever had. i know there was a previous discussion regarding our new assistants and there ability to recruit high caliber players. For the people that know more than I about this, does this recruiting class satisfy your worries about our assistants. Or do you think this is more a reflection of the job Penders has done. I am not trying to flame, just a serious question.

Right now this is an amazing class! Obviously nothing is official until the players step foot on campus because of the draft and other things but on paper this is a very very good class. I think last year's class may have been a little bit deeper but this one has a few elite players so that makes up for it. I would say this class ends up in the top 40 for sure, but Im not sure if it would be in the top 25 simply due to numbers. There are a decent amount of schools that have to sign 16-22 players per class because half get drafted and don't make it on campus and because of pure numbers that puts them higher in the rankings.
Now the next step is developing the players which is where the coaches have to earn their money!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom