UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 27 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
It's getting to be quite an interesting summer recruiting season for UConn.

Reaction Score
it's rare to hear 5 tool mentioned at this level.
Hopefully he gets here over MLB draft out of HS

Reaction Score
Bittersweet week for me, as my 2019 RHP recently committed to a D1 school, but sadly not UCONN. As an Alum, and a bit hopeful, I enjoyed following the baseball program the past year. I do feel he has the same, if not better, talent than some of the signed 2018/2019 players. Unfortunately, he's a late bloomer physically and, though there was some dialogue/evaluation, it was a bit too late for both parties.

I feel I'll be all-in on his new school once he gets started and gradually fade away from the Huskies. We'll see, though, I'm sure I'll continue to snoop in on the Olympic Sports threads.

Reaction Score
Dibbie:

Shouldn't be bittersweet, its quite an accomplishment. Congrats. Can you share the school?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Bittersweet week for me, as my 2019 RHP recently committed to a D1 school, but sadly not UCONN. As an Alum, and a bit hopeful, I enjoyed following the baseball program the past year. I do feel he has the same, if not better, talent than some of the signed 2018/2019 players. Unfortunately, he's a late bloomer physically and, though there was some dialogue/evaluation, it was a bit too late for both parties.

I feel I'll be all-in on his new school once he gets started and gradually fade away from the Huskies. We'll see, though, I'm sure I'll continue to snoop in on the Olympic Sports threads.

Congratulations and all the best to your son going forward.

Reaction Score
Be interesting to hear the back story on the change in plans to pursue a football career...

Wow!! Over the past year or so, I would occasionally look up news on Mike Yarin, and there was never any mention of a football destination, including on Mike Yarin's twitter account. Still this is nice unexpected recruiting surprise, to have Yarin back in the UConn baseball recruiting fold.

Here's a little scouting tidbit on Mike Yarin, courtesy of Prep Baseball Report:

>>Physical hitter who can really swing the bat. The bat is a lineup changer. Plays a variety of positions, showing versatility. High level prospect.<<

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Michael Yarin

Reaction Score
Wow!! Over the past year or so, I would occasionally look up news on Mike Yarin, and there was never any mention of a football destination, including on Mike Yarin's twitter account. Still this is nice unexpected recruiting surprise, to have Yarin back in the UConn baseball recruiting fold.

Here's a little scouting tidbit on Mike Yarin, courtesy of Prep Baseball Report:

>>Physical hitter who can really swing the bat. The bat is a lineup changer. Plays a variety of positions, showing versatility. High level prospect.<<

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Michael Yarin
Given his bat and the need for OF depth, this is a welcome addition!!! Perhaps he saw an opportunity to play immediately in the OF (he already loved Storrs) and couldn’t pass it up.

Reaction Score
Class of 2019 - Reggie Crawford is a 6-4 205lb LHP from North Schuylkill High School in Frackville PA. He is also an All-State swimmer.

Perfect Game has him as hitting 92mph. Anyone who can do that while still in high school, let alone with the left arm, is a high-level prospect. Another great pickup. Typical for Penders.

Reaction Score
Class of 2019 - Reggie Crawford is a 6-4 205lb LHP from North Schuylkill High School in Frackville PA. He is also an All-State swimmer.

Another UConn baseball recruit from Pennsylvania. These days it seems like the coaching staff gets a couple of recruits from Pennsylvania just about every year.

Reaction Score
His twitter account shows him as a UConn commit. Right hand pitcher.

Zach Donahue (@zdonahue21) | Twitter

Zach Donahue - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Here's a scouting account from Prep Baseball Report from last year:

SOUTH WINDSOR VS AVON SCOUTING NOTES - 5/27/16
By Trevor Brown
Co-Director of Scouting

Zachary Donahue, RHP, South Windsor, 2019
Scouting Report:
Only a freshman was very impressive with his start against Avon. He throws strikes, throwing a 4seam fastball at 78-80 MPH, a 2-seam fastball with good cut at 76 MPH, a tight slider at 70-71 MPH, and a curveball at 63-65 MPH. He had command of his offspeed throwing them for first pitch strikes, but sometimes lost command of his fastball. He got himself in a jam, but did not lose composure at all. He battled through it and got out of it without letting up a run. I liked his slider the best and can see it being a very good strikeout pitch. With him only being a freshman he has a lot of time to develop to become a dominate pitcher.

Prep Baseball Report > Massachusetts > News

Reaction Score
Looks like a new 2020 commit (and a BIG one).
Prep Baseball Report - Player: David Christoforo

6-20-18
6-foot-6, 232-pound, large, wide, monster athletic frame. Legs, hands and wrists have above average strength to them. Moves extremely well for his size. A left-handed hitter, top tool is his ability to hit and hit with power. At the plate, hands are super loose at the shoulders, feet are even, wider than shoulder width. The lower half is under control, uses a small leg kick for timing, hands have separation during the load. The swing is flat through the zone, and finishes high with two hands. The approach is more to the pull side, shows big time power, has lift and length to the swing. The tee exit velocity was clocked at 89 mph, ran the sixty yard dash at 7.87, moves well. The batting practice was impressive, along with making hard contact during game play. Defensively, moves extremely well at both behind the plate and at first base. The arm was clocked at 79 mph with pop time of 1.94- 2.03, arm gets a tick long and works out of a high ¾ slot. The feet are quick, locks down the front side, solid flight to the baseball. The footwork, glove are smooth and soft hands around the bag, good drops steps in starting the double play. The arm was clocked at 77 mph across the diamond. The glove is clean, can pick the baseball with ease. Solid, tall target to throw to. Projects for me as more of a first baseman long term, good chance will outgrow as a catcher. Big time power guy, should be off the board fairly quick.
Dave Christoforo is every bit of 6’6, 232. Got a chance to see him play in a Fall Ball game today. BIG (literally) upside!!! I think he still has room to grow physically and developmentally. He’s very wide in his batting stance and that limits his ability to use his lower half more effectively and efficiently. He is very loose and fluid with his swing. When he learns to use his lower half, he has the potential to put up huge power numbers at the college level. Seems like a great kid. From what I’ve heard, he’s also learning to play RF to give him another opportunity to see the field early. Christoforo caught the game I saw and looked very good behind the dish. He has a cannon for an arm but is a bit long with his release. That’s something that can be cleaned up. I could see him eventually being a catcher, but playing 1B, Designated Hitter, or RF early on. His bat (and power potential) could get him in the lineup early.

Reaction Score
Hand Quarterback Phoenix Billings, A UConn Baseball Commit, Has Developed Into A College Quarterback Prospect

>“He’s one of those kids that you almost have to revisit and say, ‘Hey you’re sure you don’t want to be a college quarterback?’” Hand football coach Dave Mastroianni said.<

>“I thought about it earlier in my process in the recruiting for both sports,” Billings said. “I’ve always had a love for baseball. Football is right there with it, but baseball has always sort of been my thing I love to do and have wanted to do at the next level.”<

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Class of 2021 - Garbowski is a 5-11 175 catcher L/R from New Fairfield High School in New Fairfield CT.

First UConn baseball recruit from the high school class of 2021 that has been reported here. UConn gets another lefty hitting catcher prospect. Catching baton goes potentially from Susi to Winkel to Garbowski. Also pretty rare for UConn to get a commitment from someone during their sophomore year in high school.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom