UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
It’s very likely he gets drafted. There are a few teams that absolutely love his game. It’s also likely it won’t be in the first 3 rounds. Although Winkel is a rare plus, plus catcher (most are either really good with the bat or really good with the glove), he’s not one of those can’t miss players that MLB teams covet. He could also use some time to continue to develop physically. I have also heard what @huskymedic heard. He’d like to play with his brother again. He loves UConn. I think it will all come down to two things...the right team and the signing bonus. If the team that drafts him, is the team he has at the top of his list and they offers him the right signing bonus, he’ll consider signing. I think he’s a kid whose draft stock will improve in college. He’s done very well against top competition on the summer circuit. He still has some room to grow physically in terms of his build and power potential. High school really hasn’t helped him wow scouts this season. Yes, he still has great numbers and has shown off his arm behind the dish, but some teams have chosen not to pitch to him. I’m not sure how many times he’s been intentionally walked but it’s been quite a few.

My gut tells me he will be in Storrs....

I hope you are right. But I have often heard the easiest path to the major leagues is left-handed hitting catcher.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right. But I have often heard the easiest path to the major leagues is left-handed hitting catcher.
Coach Penders will give the speech on the last position player to make it to the MLB from CT coming straight out of High School was Brook Fordiche and it was a long time ago, we will probably know based on what round he goes in as I am sure the Winkels have told scouts what it will take to sign him, so if he goes in top 3 rounds he is probably going to sign.

Reaction Score
Coach Penders will give the speech on the last position player to make it to the MLB from CT coming straight out of High School was Brook Fordiche and it was a long time ago, we will probably know based on what round he goes in as I am sure the Winkels have told scouts what it will take to sign him, so if he goes in top 3 rounds he is probably going to sign.
I spent spring break down in Port St Lucie with Brook Fordyce when he was a top prospect with the Mets. A teammate of mine at UCAP was good friends with him. Great guy!!! We trained with him at the Mets facility and got to hit live bullpen sessions off of some of the pitchers. Awesome time!!!

Reaction Score
New Haven Register article on 2018 Commit Will Lucas from Fairfield Prep: Fairfield Prep’s Lucas focused on the present, not Little League glory of the past

>>Lucas has proved his worth by helping to carry Prep to a 15-1 start and the No. 1 ranking in the GameTimeCT poll in this, his senior season. He’s thrown 15 innings this spring without allowing an earned run, and is hitting .524 with one home run and 12 RBIs. His on-base percentage is an incredible .649.

“For a guy of his caliber, yeah, this is what I think you expect a Division-I player to look like — a bona fide D-I recruit,” Prep coach Rudy Mauritz said of his UConn-bound star. “To have well over 20 hits already and to perform the way he’s performed, that’s the kind of guy that they’re after.”<<

Reaction Score
Perfect Game rankings (Top 500)

upload_2018-5-16_14-41-37.png

Incredible class Staff is putting together...

Reaction Score
New Haven Register > State Tourney Preview - 5 players to watch

>Will Lucas, Fairfield Prep: Lucas does it all, playing stellar SS, mashing the ball at the plate and serving as a super closer by finishing out games with multiple-inning efforts.<

>Mike Burrows, Waterford: There are a lot of great pitchers in the state, Burrows is probably the best. Multiple no-hitters, 10+ strikeouts nearly every time he toes the rubber. The UConn-bound senior is legit.<

Reaction Score
Mamma mia. I think we've found ourselves a Saturday starter for next year.

Assuming Burrows comes to Storrs, I would think he will get a look for weekend starter his freshman year, just as Anthony Kay, Tim Cate, and Mason Feole did. Ronnie Rossomando too, except it didn't work out with him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom