UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score
Amity moves to 2-0.

Behind Max Scheps complete game one-hit, 14K effort, Amity outlasted Cheshire on Monday in a 1-0 win. Tonight they bested Shelton in their home opener.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Michigan, ND, and Wake Forest interest...very nice.

I believe he is also a teammate of current 2018 3B commit Michael Yarin.

Clevis Murray‏@ClevisMurray 1m 1 minute ago
Jake Sanderson on committing to UCONN for baseball: "First, was because of the coaches there and how dedicated they are to their players."

Clevis Murray‏ @ClevisMurray 2m 2 minutes ago
Jake Sanderson of St. John's Prep on UCONN: "I absolutely loved the campus and how close to home the school is."

Clevis Murray‏ @ClevisMurray 3m 3 minutes ago
Jake Sanderson on what he brings to UCONN: "I see myself bringing a well rounded player that would do anything to help the team win."

Clevis Murray @ClevisMurray 2m 2 minutes ago
Jake Sanderson of St. John's also relays to me his "recruitment is closed" with his verbal commitment to UCONN for baseball.

Reaction Score
From the New London Day, UConn baseball recruit Michael Burrows threw a no hitter where he was a struck out almost every batter he saw on Monday:

http://wwwtheday.com/high-school-sports/20170410/hs-baseball-waterfords-burrows-makes-it-masterpiece

Killingly — Waterford High School's Michael Burrows struck out 21 of 22 batters that he faced as he pitched a no-hitter in an 11-0 win over Killingly in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II baseball game Monday.

Burrows, a junior, struck out the first 19 batters. The 20th batter bunted, but was thrown out for the second out in the seventh inning. Killingly's Hunter Yaworski struck out next, but reached first when the third strike was in the dirt and got away Burrows then struck out the last batter to finish off the masterpiece.

"I've never seen anything like it,'' Waterford coach Art Peluso said. "He just pounded the strike zone. And he only threw 84 pitches, I think that's the most amazing thing. He was always ahead on the count. He just spotted his curveball. His stuff was electric.''

Burrows (1-1) threw 83 pitches in four innings in his first start of the season, a 6-2 loss to East Lyme on April 3.

"He had a tough outing against East Lyme,'' Peluso said. "And he said that would never happen again. His stuff today would have beaten anyone. He was kind of pitching uphill against East Lyme. This time you could see the difference; everything was downhill. They tried to bunt several times. You take that away and they maybe made contact five times.''

Dylan Bosco was 3-for-4 with five RBI and Sonny Pezzello had two hits and drove in two runs for Waterford (3-1, 1-0). Killingly is 2-1, 0-1.

Reaction Score
From the New London Day, UConn baseball recruit Michael Burrows threw a no hitter where he was a struck out almost every batter he saw on Monday:

http://wwwtheday.com/high-school-sports/20170410/hs-baseball-waterfords-burrows-makes-it-masterpiece

Killingly — Waterford High School's Michael Burrows struck out 21 of 22 batters that he faced as he pitched a no-hitter in an 11-0 win over Killingly in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division II baseball game Monday.

Burrows, a junior, struck out the first 19 batters. The 20th batter bunted, but was thrown out for the second out in the seventh inning. Killingly's Hunter Yaworski struck out next, but reached first when the third strike was in the dirt and got away Burrows then struck out the last batter to finish off the masterpiece.

"I've never seen anything like it,'' Waterford coach Art Peluso said. "He just pounded the strike zone. And he only threw 84 pitches, I think that's the most amazing thing. He was always ahead on the count. He just spotted his curveball. His stuff was electric.''

Burrows (1-1) threw 83 pitches in four innings in his first start of the season, a 6-2 loss to East Lyme on April 3.

"He had a tough outing against East Lyme,'' Peluso said. "And he said that would never happen again. His stuff today would have beaten anyone. He was kind of pitching uphill against East Lyme. This time you could see the difference; everything was downhill. They tried to bunt several times. You take that away and they maybe made contact five times.''

Dylan Bosco was 3-for-4 with five RBI and Sonny Pezzello had two hits and drove in two runs for Waterford (3-1, 1-0). Killingly is 2-1, 0-1.

GameTimeCT: Waterford’s Burrows matches state record with 21 strikeouts in no-hitter vs. Killingly

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
There's our incoming 2nd team american! Cannot wait for that class to get to Storrs - hopefully we can nab one or two more elite locals when it's all said and done.

Reaction Score
Recently read somewhere (though I cannot find it now), and heard from a New Canaan contact that Robbie Jones a 2018 1B/OF recruit (graduating HS in 2017) has committed to UConn.

Robbie Jones (who also is a left handed pitcher) is indeed coming to UConn to play baseball. He signed a letter of intent earlier this year. This preview article on New Canaan baseball has some info on him:

http://ncadvertiser.com/97625/new-canaan-baseball-preview-hungry-rams-eye-playoff-ticket-in-2017/

Robert Jones Announces Commitment to Play Baseball at University of Connecticut

Reaction Score
A few pages back in this thread the names of committed players, per car class were listed.
Since then several players have been added.
It would be great if we could get an updated list, per incoming classes.
Greatly appreciated.

Reaction Score
A few pages back in this thread the names of committed players, per car class were listed.
Since then several players have been added.
It would be great if we could get an updated list, per incoming classes.
Greatly appreciated.

I was planning on reposting the commitment list at the end of UConn's season, but since you requested it, here it is.

2018 season

Christian Fedko - 3B/SS
Luke Broadhurst - SS
Andy Hague - 2B
Matt Bonvicini -1B
Robbie Jones - 1B/OF/LHP

Joe Simeone - RHP
Jarrod Melle - RHP
Colby Dunlop - RHP
Angus Mayock - RHP
AJ Denny - LHP

2019 season

Patrick Winkel - C
Mike Yarin - 3B/OF
Will Lucas - SS
Kyler Fedko - SS
Adam Schwartz - OF

Michael Burrows - RHP
Tim Pfaffenbichler - RHP
Leif Bigelow - RHP
Jake Sanderson - RHP

2020 season

Andrew Marrero - RHP
Max Nielsen - LHP

Reaction Score
I was planning on reposting the commitment list at the end of UConn's season, but since you requested it, here it is.

2018 season

Christian Fedko - 3B/SS
Luke Broadhurst - SS
Andy Hague - 2B
Matt Bonvicini -1B
Robbie Jones - 1B/OF/LHP

Joe Simeone - RHP
Jarrod Melle - RHP
Colby Dunlop - RHP
Angus Mayock - RHP
AJ Denny - LHP

2019 season

Patrick Winkel - C
Mike Yarin - 3B/OF
Will Lucas - SS
Kyler Fedko - SS
Adam Schwartz - OF

Michael Burrows - RHP
Tim Pfaffenbichler - RHP
Leif Bigelow - RHP
Jake Sanderson - RHP

2020 season

Andrew Marrero - RHP
Max Nielsen - LHP
Thalnks

Reaction Score
I found a twitter account for Mr. Jones, where he calls himself Robby. So that's what he will be from now on. Anyway, here’s a PrepBaseballReport.com scouting report on Robby Jones from May 11, 2016.

Robby Jones, OF/LHP, New Canaan, 2017
Scouting Report:
UConn Recruit, physical, athletic frame, hands have strength and fast twitch to them. A left-handed hitter, the stance is a little shorter and slightly open. A classic left-handed swing, is short to the ball with a high finish. Shows a middle of the field approach, rolled over a changeup and drove a ball well to the left center field gap. Defensively, the arm is clean, with a little longer path, throws were on line and downhill to targets. The arm strength is above average. Pitches as well, is a left-handed arm in the mid-80s. Times down the line were 4.51. Two-way guy at this point, athleticism is his best tool.

Prep Baseball Report > Massachusetts > News

Reaction Score
Patrick Winkel makes bold statements as Amity's catcher, slugger - GameTime CT

>>“As a hitter, he really hits to all fields,” Amity coach Sal Coppola said. “Defensively, he’s probably at a level of a high Division 1 college baseball player right now, throwing the ball to second base, which is just outstanding.”<<

>>Not surprisingly, many of the top collegiate programs in the country have recruited Winkel: Vanderbilt, Boston College, Duke, UConn. And perhaps surprisingly to some, he has already made his choice. Winkel will head up the road to join Jim Penders’ team at UConn and play alongside his older brother, currently a freshman outfield/first baseman for the Huskies.

Apparently, the good-natured ribbing about his khaki shorts and argyle socks didn’t dissuade him at all. “Seeing how (Chris) interacted with the coaches on his visit, getting to know the coaching staff, I really felt like they cared about individual players’ goals and developing them to the best of their abilities,” said Winkel. “And, you can’t beat playing with your brother.”<<

Reaction Score
Amity advances in Class LL with a 9-2 win over Hamden. Hamden took a 2-0 lead in the top half of the 4th on a HR and a sac fly. Amity answered with 3-runs in the home half of the 4th, 5th, and 6th to take control.

Amity will host #25 Fairfield Ludlowe (4-0 winners over #9 Southington) on Saturday @ TBA

Was @ game... Winkel looks every bit the player he's touted to be.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
Class of 2019 - Zach Donahue, P from South Windsor (CT) reported commit

Reaction Score
Class of 2019 - Zach Donahue, P from South Windsor (CT) reported commit

His twitter account shows him as a UConn commit. Right hand pitcher.

Zach Donahue (@zdonahue21) | Twitter

Zach Donahue - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Here's a scouting account from Prep Baseball Report from last year:

SOUTH WINDSOR VS AVON SCOUTING NOTES - 5/27/16
By Trevor Brown
Co-Director of Scouting

Zachary Donahue, RHP, South Windsor, 2019
Scouting Report:
Only a freshman was very impressive with his start against Avon. He throws strikes, throwing a 4seam fastball at 78-80 MPH, a 2-seam fastball with good cut at 76 MPH, a tight slider at 70-71 MPH, and a curveball at 63-65 MPH. He had command of his offspeed throwing them for first pitch strikes, but sometimes lost command of his fastball. He got himself in a jam, but did not lose composure at all. He battled through it and got out of it without letting up a run. I liked his slider the best and can see it being a very good strikeout pitch. With him only being a freshman he has a lot of time to develop to become a dominate pitcher.

Prep Baseball Report > Massachusetts > News

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Knew the kid well during his youth days. His teams were one of the biggest rivals of my younger brother's teams. He had arm surgery really young, but used to be a dynamite pitcher back in the day. Was never overly impressed with his bat, but hey, he was 12. Sure he's improved a ton since then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom