Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Ziegler is retweeting posts listing him as a UConn commitment. I think we have a good chance unless he is a top 10 pick in the draft (very possible).
I just checked Ziegler’s Instagram, he no longer has the committed post on his page and no longer had the Uconn commit thing in his bio.... uh oh

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Best bet that he is probably going pro, but is still willing to come here if he is drafted lower than expected.

Best bet that he is probably going pro, but is still willing to come here if he is drafted lower than expected.
That is my expectation as well. When you get involved with highly rated recruits like this, not all of them are going to arrive on campus, and you just have to expect that. It just makes you more appreciative of the guys like Pat Winkel and Reggie Crawford who end up playing college ball.

Follow-up story: Kron '22 Makes It Official - Xavier High School

>>Kron has been recruited in both sports. He says as of now he will only play baseball but has left the door open to trying to play both baseball and football at UConn.<<

Baseball gonna have a good intramural flag team w/ him and Billings ;)
Two sport UConn athletes weren't terribly uncommon back in the day. I think the Dropo brothers all played three sports. More recently, Keith Kraham ('72) was all Yankee Conference in both football (TE) and baseball (OF). Kraham was a Dell All American in basketball in high school, too. Randy Lavigne (early-mid '70's, I think) was a valuable player on both the basketball and baseball teams. I'm sure there are dozens of others, but those leap to mind.

Two sport UConn athletes weren't terribly uncommon back in the day. I think the Dropo brothers all played three sports. More recently, Keith Kraham ('72) was all Yankee Conference in both football (TE) and baseball (OF). Kraham was a Dell All American in basketball in high school, too. Randy Lavigne (early-mid '70's, I think) was a valuable player on both the basketball and baseball teams. I'm sure there are dozens of others, but those leap to mind.
John Crisp also played and started in 2 sports - Football - Split end & Basketball - forward, he was a couple of years ahead of Keith

Easy for me to keep track of Randy Lavigne. In 1978-79 he was a senior, which happened to be my freshman year at UConn.

Easy for me to keep track of Randy Lavigne. In 1978-79 he was a senior, which happened to be my freshman year at UConn.
Don’t forget Dennis Long. Although more known for baseball he did play with Randy on the basketball and baseball teams. Less than a point per game for hoop

John Crisp also played and started in 2 sports - Football - Split end & Basketball - forward, he was a couple of years ahead of Keith
I remember the name. I had a couple friends on the football team in the early '70's. I think he was nicknamed "Dispo" because of his disposition.

Sean Stephenson is a 2022 INF/OF/RHP from Bishop Feehan High School in MA

>>8/02/20 Future Games --> 5-foot-11, 180-pound left-handed hitting corner infielder. He had a very good 3 days in Dubois. He ran a 7.5 sixty at the event. The glove is solid at third base and he keeps the feet active during the process. I would like to see him work on moving side to side a bit better, which would help his defense. He threw 80 mph across the diamond as he has plenty of arm across the diamond. The bat has an exit velocity of 94 mph. The setup is narrow in base and the stance is upright. The front foot steps into the swing as the ball approaches the hitting zone. The path is clean to contact and has a feel for the barrel. The path is slightly uphill to contact and he made consistent contact throughout the 3 game set.

Exit Velocity- 94 mph
INF Velocity- 80 mph<<

Sean Stephenson is a 2022 INF/OF/RHP from Bishop Feehan High School in MA

>>8/02/20 Future Games --> 5-foot-11, 180-pound left-handed hitting corner infielder. He had a very good 3 days in Dubois. He ran a 7.5 sixty at the event. The glove is solid at third base and he keeps the feet active during the process. I would like to see him work on moving side to side a bit better, which would help his defense. He threw 80 mph across the diamond as he has plenty of arm across the diamond. The bat has an exit velocity of 94 mph. The setup is narrow in base and the stance is upright. The front foot steps into the swing as the ball approaches the hitting zone. The path is clean to contact and has a feel for the barrel. The path is slightly uphill to contact and he made consistent contact throughout the 3 game set.

Exit Velocity- 94 mph
INF Velocity- 80 mph<<
So is Sean Stephenson the brother of Zach Stephenson, another UConn baseball committed recruit who goes to the same high school?

If the 2022 high school graduation year is accurate, then UConn baseball now has 9 position players committed in that recruiting class.

Last edited:
So is Sean Stephenson the brother of Zach Stephenson, another UConn baseball committed recruit who goes to the same high school?

If the 2022 high school graduation year is accurate, then UConn baseball now has 9 position players committed in that recruiting class.
They are spitting images of each other...

A little additional bonus informational item for me from the background in the pictures, this tournament was at Dodd Stadium in Norwich. I live 10-15 minutes from the ballpark. If I had known it was taking place, I would definitely given some thought about watching some future baseball Huskies doing their thing.

Also, an article from a local newspaper on Maddix Dalena committing to UConn:

Newspaper article UConn baseball recruit Zach Stephenson. This piece also gives a mention to his brother Sean. This piece mentions that Sean is currently a Junior. PrepBaseballReport.com and PerfectGame.com both list Sean as Class of 2023, which would make him a sophomore, so both of these websites apparently have incorrect information on him.

Last edited: