Change Ad Consent Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

-
Long time lurker, first time poster. Saar Rosa is now committed to Trinity according to multiple sites (and his Twitter) and Justin Oquendo is a class of '21, 5'5" of/inf from Public Safety Academy in East Hartford who appears to have committed.
From what I can tell, Justin Oquendo's high school is Civic Leadership High School in Enfield. I believe the listing of his high school on the perfectgame.com website is incorrect, or at least out of date.

From what I can tell, Justin Oquendo's high school is Civic Leadership High School in Enfield. I believe the listing of his high school on the perfectgame.com website is incorrect, or at least out of date.
I may be wrong but I believe that school was simply renamed.

Posted this in the wrong thread yesterday:

PBR New England updated their New England High School Class of 2020 player rankings in late March. Two players committed to UConn baseball make their top 10. Adrian Siravo at No. 4, and Korey Morton at No. 10. They say Morton "might be the best athlete in the class as he is a superb runner who can play the game."

PBR New England updated their New England High School Class of 2021 player rankings in late March. Two UConn baseball commits made their top 10. Matt Garbowski at No. 3, and Braden Quinn at No. 8.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
If we are getting 2-3 top 10 kids a year and supplement those kids with a couple more big time prospects from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc and fill in the gaps with JUCO's and blue collar, under the radar players...then you have UConn baseball recruiting philosophy.

It's just nice that we get some of these 4 star type players. Following UConn football recruiting in the mid to late 2000's under Edsall was not "fun", although the results those players put on the field speak for themselves.

>TT Bowens is keeping all his baseball options open.

With that in mind, Bowens entered his name in the transfer portal earlier this week, essentially making him a college baseball free agent. He's already received serious interest from numerous Division I programs, including UConn.

Bowens, who recently completed his redshirt junior season at Central Connecticut State University, also may pursue a professional career instead of continuing on the college level.<

>In just the few days since entering the transfer portal, Bowens has heard from UConn, Creighton, Penn State, Purdue, Arkansas and New Orleans as well as several smaller Division I programs.

Arkansas certainly knows all about the 6-foot-4, 235-pound first-baseman/outfielder. Bowens belted a three-run home run at nationally-ranked Arkansas in the 2019 NCAA tournament.

Bowens carried the momentum right into the New England Collegiate Baseball League, slugging a league best 16 home runs and league record 53 RBI while playing for the Mystic Schooners.<

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Our offense is already going to be nasty next year, assuming we play baseball in 2021. Imagine how good it would be with this dude.

TT (assuming he doesn’t get drafted) was already off to a solid start at Central and is highly regarded as one of the top players in the northeast. Would be a massive pickup. Would be interesting to see what they do with Reggie tho. I personally would have TT DH and have Reggie play first

TT (assuming he doesn’t get drafted) was already off to a solid start at Central and is highly regarded as one of the top players in the northeast. Would be a massive pickup. Would be interesting to see what they do with Reggie tho. I personally would have TT DH and have Reggie play first
I would be very surprised if Reggie Crawford is not the primary player at 1B for UConn next season, with or without Bowens as part of the team. Crawford was just named the top defensive 1B in the Penders era by the UConn coaching staff, a pick based on his defensive potential. I doubt the coaching staff will want to muck with around with that. Combine this with what Crawford showed offensively, I'm inclined to think that the only time Crawford won't be at 1B is if he has an injury, or if he ends up getting an opportunity to pitch.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
I would be very surprised if Reggie Crawford is not the primary player at 1B for UConn next season, with or without Bowens as part of the team. Crawford was just named the top defensive 1B in the Penders era by the UConn coaching staff, a pick based on his defensive potential. I doubt the coaching staff will want to muck with around with that. Combine this with what Crawford showed offensively, I'm inclined to think that the only time Crawford won't be at 1B is if he has an injury, or if he ends up getting an opportunity to pitch.
How good is Crawford if he is better than Chris Winkel defensively at 1B. Wink is very good over there.

agreed. You certainly do not turn down talent like Bowens when its available- but don't see Reggie being supplanted at first. But man having that punch added to lineup would be a welcome addition.

It would be fantastic if Bowens could make the transition to 3B. He’s still an athletic dude and can make some good defensive plays

The D1baseball.com transfer tracker is showing graduate transfer Ciaran Devenney, a catcher who played at UMass Lowell the last two seasons, as coming to UConn. That would seem to solve the need of a backup catcher to Pat Winkel. Before that, Devenney played at Delaware State as a freshman, and at Mercer CC as a sophomore.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Great OBP and solid power numbers - could be a DH candidate but the lineup is so stacked...

I would think UConn baseball will probably get at least a potential third catcher for next season's team. Maybe they will get another California JUCO guy who could potentially compete for the starting job in the 2022 season, or another freshman recruit. We'll see what happens.

According to the D1Baseball.com transfer tracker, UConn has picked up a player from Bowling Green, which just reinstated its recently snuffed out baseball program. LHP Mason Kolean was a freshman on this season's BG team, but he did not pitch, so I would think he would be a redshirt freshman next season. Kolean is 6'3'', and he is from Clarkson, Michigan.

I have to wonder if this transfer will stick now that Bowling Green has a baseball team again.

Last edited:
According to the D1Baseball.com transfer tracker, UConn has picked up a player from Bowling Green, which just reinstated its recently snuffed out baseball program. LHP Mason Kolean was a freshman on this season's BG team, but he did not pitch, so I would think he would be a redshirt freshman next season. Kolean is 6'3'', and he is from Clarkson, Michigan.

I have to wonder if this transfer will stick now that Bowling Green has a baseball team again.

It's academic. He is a freshmen eligibility wise either way due to every spring sport athlete getting back this year if eligibility.

Mason Kolean's twitter account now has a UConn Baseball tag on it. It appears his transfer will stick.

Last edited:
As a FYI, if approved y the powers that be, Jersey is looking to put together a large, as in 156 teams, summer baseball tournament for high school age players to basically serve as a substitute for the lost 2020 High school baseball season. There will be some rule changes, possibly 10 to 11 in a batting line-up with almost unlimited substitutions and pitch-count caps to allow everyone to play along with safety rules, such as umpires behind the pitcher. If it happens, I'll try and catch a few games since the minors are DOA and MLB is doing its best to shoot the national pastime in foot.

As a FYI, if approved y the powers that be, Jersey is looking to put together a large, as in 156 teams, summer baseball tournament for high school age players to basically serve as a substitute for the lost 2020 High school baseball season. There will be some rule changes, possibly 10 to 11 in a batting line-up with almost unlimited substitutions and pitch-count caps to allow everyone to play along with safety rules, such as umpires behind the pitcher. If it happens, I'll try and catch a few games since the minors are DOA and MLB is doing its best to shoot the national pastime in foot.

If you ask me, even before the pandemic hit, MLB was trying its best to kill off minor league baseball as well. The pandemic just gave them an assist.