UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread | Page 35 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Reaction Score

Austin Peterson is a 6-6 230lb RHP out of Indiana who played for Purdue last season.

Here is his Boilermakers profile:

2019 / AS A FRESHMAN
Pitched in 25 games and started the midweek game at Ball State
Led the freshman class in strikeouts, innings pitched and appearances
Averaged 9.19 strikeouts per nine innings, good for 12th in program history (min. 30 innings)
Compiled a 2.20 ERA over 16 1/3 innings in Big Ten play
Struck out nine over 5 1/3 innings of two-hit relief to earn the victory in the game 2 win vs. NJIT
Closed out the rubber game win vs. Southeast Missouri with 2 2/3 innings of scoreless one-hit relief
Worked 2 1/3 innings of one-hit relief in the series-opening win at Northwestern to begin Big Ten play
Struck out five vs. Texas, Oral Roberts and Nebraska
Made multiple relief appearances in series vs. Southern Miss, Jacksonville State, SEMO and Ohio State

Reaction Score
Will he be able to play this upcoming 2020 season?
Not sure, will try to find out.
I noted this in another baseball transfer/baseball portal thread but it may also come into play here - “any player not on athletic aid may now transfer without sitting out. While the term used for those players is “walk-on”, it’s worth noting that players who are receiving need-based aid (but not athletic aid) may also now transfer without sitting out.”

Reaction Score

Austin Peterson is a 6-6 230lb RHP out of Indiana who played for Purdue last season.

2019 / AS A FRESHMAN
Averaged 9.19 strikeouts per nine innings, good for 12th in program history (min. 30 innings)
Struck out nine over 5 1/3 innings of two-hit relief to earn the victory in the game 2 win vs. NJIT
Closed out the rubber game win vs. Southeast Missouri with 2 2/3 innings of scoreless one-hit relief
Worked 2 1/3 innings of one-hit relief in the series-opening win at Northwestern to begin Big Ten play
Made multiple relief appearances in series vs. Southern Miss, Jacksonville State, SEMO and Ohio State

Hmmm... He played summer ball in NECBL for Martha’s Vineyard Sharks

Reaction Score

2019 / AS A FRESHMAN

4.50 ERA for the season overall. Whatever the case, a 2.20 ERA in Big Ten competition is something that attracts your attention.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
This has to be coming into a season the best group of players collectively we have ever had. The 2011 group wound up being special but the depth to this class is outstanding.

Reaction Score
Austin Peterson is not listed on the Purdue 2019 Fall roster, so it may be a quick removal by Purdue. However, last season Peterson wore No. 46 on his uniform. Now someone else has that number on the Purdue 2019 fall roster. So I'm thinking Peterson may have left Purdue baseball possibly before the 2019 fall season. I don't know if that would make a difference in his possibly being eligible to play for UConn for the 2020 season.

Reaction Score
Siravo almost rhymes with Prato. That's good enough for me.

Can dbbill, uconnbaseball, and huskymedic throw out the first pitch already. I'm itchn to get going. Is anyone else pumped for baseball this coming season, wow. Hope to make it opening day but I have a feeling so many dignitaries will be there and the place might be sold out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony: More than 40 college football coaches showed interest in Hand-Madison QB Phoenix Billings, but for the two-sport stud UConn baseball the right fit

>>The questions I had were as follows: Has Billings completely closed the door on college football? And is there any way he could do both?

Billings won’t sign a national letter of intent to attend UConn until November. In the meantime, who knows what kind of enticing football offers might come his way. Many FBS schools have been reluctant to get heavily involved, with the baseball intention made so clear, but Boston College has shown interest. UMass, too...

...“I don’t have much interest in doing both,” said Billings, whose father, Jeff, owns Billings Sports in Meriden and whose mother, Courtney, owns the Academy of Dance and Music in Wallingford. “I feel like I did my due diligence [with exploration of football opportunities], but in the end I landed back on baseball and what I wanted to do from the beginning. We’ll keep listening, but right now the plan is to go to UConn and play baseball.”<<

Billings locked and loaded.

Reaction Score

Billings is arguably the best athlete in the state. He could be a D1 QB if he chose to do so. Love that he trains at Breakout Athlete!! My son trains there as well. Frank is the best in the business.

Reaction Score
A recent scouting report on UConn's latest recruit:

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Brendan O'Donnell

7/18/18

6-foot-1, 215-pound left-handed pitcher and first baseman. Big and physical left-handed hitting first baseman who also worked out in the outfield. Threw 83 mph from the outfield with carry and accuracy. The approach is athletic and aggressive to the ball. Threw 81 mph across the diamond from first base to third. The glove and feet are excellent around the bag. Ran a 4.8 down the line on his dig to first base. The bat has a tee exit velocity of 91 mph. The swing is big and strong, power potential with the bat. The setup is wide, front foot open to start. The front foot has a big pick up and put down as the ball approaches. The front foot dives into the plate as the swing begins. The hands are strong and fast, thunder in the bat. On the mound, the fastball touched 86 mph, arm side run to the pitch. The spin pitch is slurvy, could be shortened into a slider but he has a feel for the pitch. Sits at 71 -72 mph with a good shape to it. The changeup is a developing pitch, sitting at 76-77 mph. The pitch is thrown with good hand speed. . The delivery has crossfire to the feet, leading to obvious deception in the delivery. The slot is above ¾ and work free. The lift is athletic and repeated, soft glove side and he stays in the delivery. Excellent 2-way prospect, high level.

Reaction Score
Looks like a new 2020 commit (and a BIG one).
Prep Baseball Report - Player: David Christoforo

6-20-18
6-foot-6, 232-pound, large, wide, monster athletic frame. Legs, hands and wrists have above average strength to them. Moves extremely well for his size. A left-handed hitter, top tool is his ability to hit and hit with power. At the plate, hands are super loose at the shoulders, feet are even, wider than shoulder width. The lower half is under control, uses a small leg kick for timing, hands have separation during the load. The swing is flat through the zone, and finishes high with two hands. The approach is more to the pull side, shows big time power, has lift and length to the swing. The tee exit velocity was clocked at 89 mph, ran the sixty yard dash at 7.87, moves well. The batting practice was impressive, along with making hard contact during game play. Defensively, moves extremely well at both behind the plate and at first base. The arm was clocked at 79 mph with pop time of 1.94- 2.03, arm gets a tick long and works out of a high ¾ slot. The feet are quick, locks down the front side, solid flight to the baseball. The footwork, glove are smooth and soft hands around the bag, good drops steps in starting the double play. The arm was clocked at 77 mph across the diamond. The glove is clean, can pick the baseball with ease. Solid, tall target to throw to. Projects for me as more of a first baseman long term, good chance will outgrow as a catcher. Big time power guy, should be off the board fairly quick.

Reaction Score
Coach Penders is now getting into international recruiting, even if it is Canada.

More on Calvin Ziegler from Prep Baseball Report:

>11.01.18
Ziegler is a 5-foot-11, 175-pound right-hander with easy and loose arm from a clean 3/4 slot. Not much effort involved and gets out front with feel and a repeatable delivery. Spins an overhand curveball in the 72-74 range that backs off his fastball that sits in the 85-88 range while touching 89. He plays outfield and is aggressive at the plate with bat speed but the arm has a chance to be real special. Has gone under the radar but that won't last long. Top 2020 RHP in Ontario, lookout for Ziegler early in 2019. <

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Calvin Ziegler

Reaction Score
On the surface, I’m really excited about Ziegler. Canada’s no slouch; there’s a bunch of MLB players from the country and it’s got good pedigree. For him to be one of the best players in his class out of Ontario while featuring for a youth national team is very impressive. The only minimal concern is the size, but hey, if Lincecum could have the career he did before petering out, I’m ready for Ziegler to excel as a Husky.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom