Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

-
Billings is a 2020 I believe
I label the classes by the spring that they arrive on campus. Yes, he graduates high school in 2020, but his freshman spring season will be in 2021. Yes, probably a little confusing since it seems most recruiting lists go by the year of high school graduation.

I think @dbmill's list is by "first season in a Husky uniform," not "HS graduating class."
I label the classes by the spring that they arrive on campus. Yes, he graduates high school in 2020, but his freshman spring season will be in 2021. Yes, probably a little confusing since it seems most recruiting lists go by the year of high school graduation.
Got it. I forgot to take my football helmet off...

WILBUR CROSS 2, WESTHILL 1
Andrew Marrero pitched a complete game, 1-hitter and struck out 14 in Wilbur Cross’ first tournament victory since 2002. Angel Galindez had two hits and two stolen bases for Cross. TJ Wainwright pitched seven innings allowing only 1 run, but took the loss for Westhill.

Westhill
Wilbur Cross
Batteries: Westhill–T.J. Wainwright, Evan Campbell (8, 0-1), James Gerard (8) and Matt OConnor; Wilbur Cross–Andrew Marrero, Angel Galindez (8, 5-0) and Angel Galindez
Team records: Westhill (6-2-0); Wilbur Cross (10-6-0)

Comments: Marrero pitched 7 strong innings striking out 14 and only allowing 1 hit and 1 unearned run. Angel Galindez had 2 hits for Wilbur Cross and 2 SB. Westhill: TJ Wainwright pitched 7 innings allowing only 1 run.

Officials moved this playoff game up to 2 PM yesterday to get it in before the storms hit. Favieri threw 5 hitless for Ridgewood innings and gave-up 1 hit and 1 run. The 1 hit (and RBI) was a bunt. Not sure if he will pitch in the North 1 Group IV Section Championship game against Bloomfield (#1 seed) as schedules and pitch-counts are all screwed-up due to the bad weather.

Josh Cohen's HS baseball career is over after Indian Hills lost to nemesis Pascack Valley (split the regular season 1-1, lost in the State Playoffs) in the prior round, which he was not available to pitch as he had thrown in the prior game

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
So I looked at @dbmill's list. And read through some of the thread. Hard to get a feel for how these guys project at this level. I see low 80's fastball and that makes me think "red-shirt".

It's also somewhat difficult for those of us less familiar with the draft etc. to get a feel for who we are losing and who will be back.

Prato is a Junior. Is he gone?
Wallace is a Junior, I'm assuming he's gone.
Feole, also a junior. Back? Gone?
I'm assuming the other juniors aren't drafted and return. CJ is a RS Senior? Back?

We obviously lose seniors Woodworth, Phillips, Gardner, Kersten,

So I looked at @dbmill's list. And read through some of the thread. Hard to get a feel for how these guys project at this level. I see low 80's fastball and that makes me think "red-shirt".

It's also somewhat difficult for those of us less familiar with the draft etc. to get a feel for who we are losing and who will be back.

Prato is a Junior. Is he gone?
Wallace is a Junior, I'm assuming he's gone.
Feole, also a junior. Back? Gone?
I'm assuming the other juniors aren't drafted and return. CJ is a RS Senior? Back?

We obviously lose seniors Woodworth, Phillips, Gardner, Kersten,
Prato is likely gone, basically any junior taken will end up signing. There's always exceptions like LJ Mazzilli but the upside is limited as college seniors often get low signing bonuses with the lack of leverage.

Good bet Feole is gone if he's taken day 2 as teams don't want to waste those picks since they also lose the slot money if a player doesn't sign.

Officials moved this playoff game up to 2 PM yesterday to get it in before the storms hit. Favieri threw 5 hitless for Ridgewood innings and gave-up 1 hit and 1 run. The 1 hit (and RBI) was a bunt. Not sure if he will pitch in the North 1 Group IV Section Championship game against Bloomfield (#1 seed) as schedules and pitch-counts are all screwed-up due to the bad weather.

Josh Cohen's HS baseball career is over after Indian Hills lost to nemesis Pascack Valley (split the regular season 1-1, lost in the State Playoffs) in the prior round, which he was not available to pitch as he had thrown in the prior game
And Ridgewood is off to the Group IV State Championship Game after a 6 to 1 win over Westfield today behind Favieri who went 6 1/3 today throwing 103 pitches giving-up 1 ER while while striking out 6. The recap has a nice little post-game interview with him.

The Maroons will now play Eastern Regional (Voorhees Township) down in Hamilton (near Trenton) on Saturday for its first ever appearance in the state championship game.

UConn Baseball Commit Reggie Crawford selected in the 37 round by KC.
There are exceptions, but pitchers who are drafted out of high school and end up coming to Storrs usually play a big role their freshman season.

And Ridgewood is off to the Group IV State Championship Game after a 6 to 1 win over Westfield today behind Favieri who went 6 1/3 today throwing 103 pitches giving-up 1 ER while while striking out 6. The recap has a nice little post-game interview with him.

The Maroons will now play Eastern Regional (Voorhees Township) down in Hamilton (near Trenton) on Saturday for its first ever appearance in the state championship game.
Ridgewood won the NJ Group IV Championship over Eastern Regional 2-1. Sam Favieri came on in relie in the 7th and put the Vikings down in order. As a side bar, the Marron's starting picther, Seitter, went 5 2/3 allowing 2 Hits, 3 Walks, 3 HBP's and 1 unearned run matched-up with 10K's. He's also a Senior and is going to Quinnipiac. A nice little Connecticut connection there.

PS - The best HS team is NJ is Delbarton, which won the Non-Public A title over St. Augustine 4-3, who beat Delbarton in 2018 1-0. Just look at a sample of their starting line-up: 1) Shawn Rapp IF/P committed to UNC who can hit 90 MPH, 2) Anthony Volpe SB/22 1st Round Pick NY Yankees, 3) Jack Leiter P who can hit 98 committed to Vanderbilt, though the Yanks drafted him in the 20th round to see if he can be enticed .

This was posted in the Summer Baseball thread:

Two-way player Ben Casparius ready for future with Commodores and UCONN

>>The Ben Casparius who tantalized the ball in Connecticut continued that trend at UNC. In his freshman year, he batted .316 with 15 RBIs. On the hill, Casparius held a 1.69 ERA in 10 appearances. To add to his awesome stat line, he went two-for-five with three RBIs against Oregon State in game one of the College World Series.

A pretty impressive season on both ends for a natural position player.“He really is a position guy first and foremost,” Phil Casparius said. “People love the fact that he throws hard and has good off-speed stuff. But one of the things that has always been his calling card is that he is a baseball player. It is unique for guys to be that versatile and be both a pitcher and a position player.”

But in his sophomore season, the talent pool at North Carolina increased and it became difficult for Casparius to hit the field.“You’re never going be fully satisfied with everything and opportunities might be limited,” the right-hander said. “I just felt it was time to come a little bit closer to home and just get a restart.”

So, he did exactly that. Casparius decided to head home and transfer to the University of Connecticut. “UCONN is really everything that we could ask for as a family along with the great coaches,” Ben Casparius said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun.”<<

Casparius' UNC Career Stats (his last appearance/game for UNC was 4/21/19)

This was posted in the Summer Baseball thread:
Hopefully a fresh start drives Casparius to be the player we saw at Staples and as a frosh at UNC. It will be interesting to see how the staff uses him. He played some 3B at UNC, in addition to pitching. He was a designated hitter a majority of his freshman season at UNC.