Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Discussion in 'UConn Baseball and Olympic Sports' started by HuskyfanDan, Apr 5, 2012.

1. dbmill

dbmill

Prep Baseball Report also lists Adam Schwartz as a right handed pitcher. At any rate, Jim Penders and his staff seem to be striking a nice vein of recruiting talent from Pennsylvania, with the Fedko brothers, Angus Mayock, and now Adam Schwartz.

As far as infield depth, it certainly looks like UConn will have no worries in that department in the coming years. That is indeed a welcome relief from what we saw last year. The Huskies have so many recruits coming in over the next couple of years that are labeled as either middle infielders or third basemen that I expect some of them will be shifted to the outfield, as Jon Testani and John Toppa have been in recent years. There is certainly nothing unusual in baseball with that sort of thing.

scotty0330 and Stairmaster like this.
  2. huskymedic

huskymedic

3. huskymedic

huskymedic

AJ Denny ‏@AJDenny11 20m20 minutes ago
    Honored to announce that I've committed to play baseball and continue academically at the University of Connecticut

Denny is a 5-11 160lb LHP from Stroudsburg HIgh School Stroudsburg PA. 2017 HS Grad.

4. huskymedic

huskymedic

5. huskymedic

huskymedic

Leif is a Class of 2018 6-3 160lb RHP from Brattleboro Union High School in Vermont.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. dbmill

dbmill

Short article from a Vermont newspaper on Leif Bigelow committing to UConn.

Bigelow commits to UConn

uconnbaseball and huskymedic like this.
  7. huskymedic

huskymedic

So we'll have an Ace Bigelow instead of a Duece Bigelow? ;) <groan>

8. dbmill

dbmill

He's not Bam Bam Bigelow either.

9. huskymedic

huskymedic

Yup... he's a bit light (like 200+ lbs light).

10. dbmill

dbmill

Of course, if he gets his fastball up into the 90's and turns into a strikeout guy, "Bam Bam" would then become a good nickname.

huskymedic likes this.
  11. huskymedic

huskymedic

Updated Article: L-L Baseball: Ephrata's Schwartz commits to UConn

>>“It’s a program built on hard work, similar to my high school program,” he said. “They have an excellent coaching staff. They treat players the way you want to be treated, with respect. That’s important to me.”

>>Schwartz said he is going to UConn as an outfielder first and pitcher second, similar to his role with Ephrata.<<

12. dbmill

dbmill

That's good to know. I had been wondering what his primary position would be.

This analysis from his high school coach says that Adam Schwartz is an excellent defensive outfielder:

L-L Baseball: League coaches select 'Sweet 16' All-Star team

Outfielder: Adam Schwartz, Ephrata, Soph. - .340 BA, 1 HR, 12 RBIs, .407 OBP; 12.2 IP, 12 Ks, 2 saves, 1.11 ERA.

“Adam was a huge reason for our success this season after moving from a corner outfield position to center field,” said Shelley. “He essentially anchored our outfield and strengthened us up the middle… demonstrated one of the strongest arms from the outfield that I’ve seen at this level… covered a lot of ground in a big ballpark. On the mound, he added considerable depth to our staff and was both a middle reliever and closer before becoming a starter in the postseason.”

13. uconnbaseball

uconnbaseball

Beat out an ACC school and two mid majors with recent NCAA tournamwnt success for the PA kid- not bad at all.

The Vermont kid had a BC offer apparently.

The one sport that actually benefits from the AAC is baseball. Conference competition will be tough going forward, so recruiting will not be an issue. Now to convince some of the soccer fanatics to switch over to baseball...Penders is a much better coach than Reid, and home attendance needs to improve (although oddly we travel pretty well)

6thBoroBro and Stairmaster like this.
  14. dbmill

dbmill

Some of us UConn soccer fans already follow UConn baseball, but never mind about that. My own feeling is that UConn baseball attendance will improve some once a new facility is built. It will be a nice and fresh place to see a game, and there is something to be said for flush toilets on site.

scotty0330 likes this.
  15. dbmill

dbmill

History Geek likes this.
  16. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

huskymedic likes this.
  17. dbmill

dbmill

According to Prep Baseball Report, Teddy Hague, brother of UConn commit Andy Hague and also graduating Amity Regional in 2017, is going to Yale. He may not be a UConn commit, but I thought that was worth mentioning.

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Teddy Hague

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    History Geek and kris1 like this.
  18. huskymedic

huskymedic

Sal Coppola just keeps pushing talent out...

History Geek and kris1 like this.
  19. dbmill

dbmill

UConn baseball has had a busy time this past summer and fall getting future player commitments. Since announcements of baseball recruiting commitments seem to slow down at this time of year, I figure it is a good time to post a revised summary of players who have been reported on this thread to have committed to play for UConn baseball in the coming seasons.

2018 season

Christian Fedko – 3B/SS
    Luke Broadhurst – SS
    Andy Hague – 2B
    Matt Bonvicini – 1B
    Joe Simeone – RHP
    Jarrod Melle – RHP
    Colby Dunlop – RH
    Angus Mayock – RHP
    AJ Denny - LHP

2019 season

Patrick Winkel – C
    Mike Yarin – 3B/OF
    Will Lucas – SS
    Kyler Fedko – SS
    Adam Schwartz – OF/RHP
    Michael Burrows – RHP
    Tim Pfaffenbichler – RHP
    Leif Bigelow – RHP

2020 season

Andrew Marrero - RHP

20. dbmill

dbmill

[​IMG] BaseballontheIsland
    @BaseballLI

Nov 29
    BREAKING: Max Nielsen, Ward Melville '19, has committed to UCONN

Max Nielsen: Why I Chose UCONN

UConn gets a verbal commitment from Max Nielsen, a left handed pitcher from the 2019 graduating class of Ward Melville High School on Long Island. UConn’s Anthony Kay also attended Ward Melville.

huskymedic likes this.
  21. huskymedic

huskymedic

Penders seems to be on a roll...

22. dbmill

dbmill

I was thinking that myself. This summer and fall, it seems the recruiting has been very, very good for UConn.

23. dbmill

dbmill

Another way of putting it is that between UConn baseball's four recent NCAA tournament appearances and the steady stream of Huskies being selected in the mlb draft, Penders and the coaching staff seemed to have reaped the benefits through their recent recruiting efforts.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    huskymedic likes this.
  24. kris1

kris1

Know the Hague's very well. Great kids, great family. Both work extremely hard and should do very well at the next level. Andy Hague will likely move to 2B at UConn (he played SS at Amity last season). It will be interesting to see if Amity moves him to 2B, they have a sophomore SS they are very high on (Sebastian Formica) who saw some varsity time late last season. Both Hague's run very well. Teddy Hague is a left-handed P/OF, not sure which position he'll focus on at Yale. Teddy should be a key starter on the Amity pitching staff in the spring.

25. UCCornelius

UCCornelius

Andy Hague played 2b at Amity last year (Brian Ronai - Yale recruit played SS). Question will be if Hague moves to SS this year or if they leave him at 2b.

kris1 likes this.
  26. kris1

kris1

You are correct, Andy played 2B last season. I wrote what I was trying to say backwards. There is talk of him, possibly starting this season at SS for Amity.

27. dbmill

dbmill

huskymedic likes this.
  28. dbmill

dbmill

The UConn Blog has a piece on Husky baseball recruits signing their National Letters of Intent. It's an interesting article, although I wish the writer would have listed all the players who signed on with UConn along with the players who did not. I think there are some inaccuracies in the article (for instance, I think at least 8 players signed their letters instead of 7, and UConn baseball has 3 recruits next year that are from Pennsylvania, not 2). Despite my quibbles, there is still some good information contained in the article, particularly about the three incoming pitchers that the author talked to. One thing for certain, it would seem that pitching coach Josh MacDonald has a bit of a fan club among the incoming pitchers.

UConn Baseball Signs Seven in the Class of 2017

29. Towney007

Towney007

One of the kids i'm most interested in is Colby Dunlap...

I saw him pitch when he was 15.. I had him and his big brother throw a pen... He was right in the mid 80's then and the changeup was raw as can be, but loads of potential. He was home schooled almost his whole life and doesn't come from much money, so he didn't really hit the showcase circuit that much - so I think like other NW CT guys, he'll turn some heads once people get a chance to see him.

Big school is an interesting choice for him personally, but I'm excited to see how it all comes together for him.

30. dbmill

dbmill

huskymedic likes this.