Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

Discussion in 'UConn Baseball and Olympic Sports' started by HuskyfanDan, Apr 5, 2012.

1. dbmill

dbmill

Bobby Melley would not have been the only competition for Scafariello at 1B. UConn has coming into the program Dillon Malandro and Chris Winkel as 1B candidates after Melley graduates.

It's disappointing to hear of this decision considering the apparent wide open nature of UConn's corner outfield positions. Interesting that this decision comes after a disappointing senior high school year. The idea that Scafariello is turning into more of a 1B instead of a corner outfielder in addition to the disappointing year would seem to lessen his value. That and the mention here of Scafariello being a possible UConn redshirt brings to mind another drafted player who was redshirted at UConn, Taylor Olmstead, someone who has certainly been slow in developing.

2. mets1090

mets1090 Probably returning some video tapes...

Pretty rare to see all the scouts whiff on a player as badly as they seem to have whiffed on Olmstead. Went from being drafted in the 13th round out of high school to getting 5 at bats in his first two years on campus. You have to assume he has the tools to be a good college player so hopefully he'll surprise and put it together this fall.

Edit: Hadn't heard anything about him this summer but while he's hitting just .252 in the PGCBL, he leads the league with 7 homeruns. Evidently the power is there. Yahn is hitting .254 in the same league so it's possible that Olmstead is turning a corner. Or Yahn is just struggling in a relatively small sample size.

3. dbmill

dbmill

Considering how much Olmstead strikes out, especially last summer, "whiff" is a good word to use in talking about how the scouts seemed to have misjudged him. Anyway, probably because he was drafted and no doubt due to the Huskies need for corner outfielder answers, Olmstead is the one player whose stats I've been checking pretty regularly this summer. For most of the summer season his average had hovered around .200, but he went on a hot streak recently. As you mentioned he does have very good power numbers. In addition to the 8 home runs he has 4 triples, and to further indicate some speed, he has 8 stolen bases. Olmstead rarely takes a walk, but he has gotten hit by pitches 10 times, so that helps the on base percentage some. As for the strike outs I alluded to earlier, I seem to recall that Olmstead struck out in well over a third of his at bats last summer, and this summer he is striking out in less than a third of his at bats, so that would seem to indicate some progress in the right direction.

4. huskymedic

huskymedic

UConnBaseball 5:22pm via Twitter Web Client
    Nice to see three #UConn student-athletes on the 2016 @MLBDraft watch list.

NE Baseball Journal‏@NE_Baseball 9h9 hours ago
    .@UConnBaseball has 3 of top prospects from N.E. for 2016 draft: Aaron Hill, @taylor_olmstead, @patrickruotolo
    http://digital.baseballjournal.com/nxtbooks/seamans/nebj_201508/#/36

5. dbmill

dbmill

It's a bit of a surprise to me seeing Taylor Olmstead on that list at this point, but the mlb draft is certainly built on potential. I recall Coach Penders talking about the special sound that Olmstead's bat makes when he does make contact with the ball. Anyway, let's hope both Aaron Hill and Olmstead live up to this sort of billing in their next season at UConn.

6. huskymedic

huskymedic

Couldn't resist - the timing was just so right ;)

7. dbmill

dbmill

Unbelievable timing is right. By coincidence I had just checked the UConn baseball twitter page, saw it, and had a strange feeling that you would have a Boneyard post on it. And what do you know, I was right!

8. huskymedic

huskymedic

Playing catch-up due to traveling but here is the 2015 New Haven Register All-State Baseball Team:

Of the 12 named to first team - 5 headed to UConn (Polonia, Rossomando, Susi, Titus and Winkel) and 1 to UConn - AP (Savino). Other 6 headed to Fordham, CCSU, Tulane. Qunnipiac and UMass.

9. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

I thought that Titus was committed to Bryant. Did we flip him?

10. huskymedic

huskymedic

You sir are correct... The on-line version has been corrected to Bryant, the print version had UConn. I had print version in front of me when typing.

03.jpg

11. UConNick

UConNick

How is Casparius not on that team? I know he's only a rising junior, but he's legitimately the best player in the state. Not to mention he's verbally committed to UNC and had offers from UVA, Vandy, and more.

12. huskymedic

huskymedic

13. huskyblooz

huskyblooz

For anyone looking for something to do Friday night, first of a best-of-three, the American Legion State Championship starts at 6:30pm at Palmer Field in Middletown. Stamford vs. RCP (Rocky Hill/Cromwell/Portland). 99% sure that future-Husky Polonia will be pitching for Stamford, as he shut Monroe out on Sunday.

14. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

According to PG, we have a new commit for the Class of 2018: RHP Michael Burrows from Waterford HS. 6-1 and runs with CT Nationals in the summer.

15. huskymedic

huskymedic

UConnBaseball 12:46pm via Twitter Web Client
    Incoming #UConn player R. Polonia (@RPolo_) is the Hearst CT Media Athlete of the Year.
    http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/spo...-Polonia-named-Hearst-Connecticut-6419538.php

>>Polonia was All-FCIAC first team in football as a receiver/kick returner/defensive back helping lead Trinity to a winning season and the Stamford City title.

On the baseball diamond, he was 3-time All-State, 3-time All-FCIAC, two-time FCIAC MVP and two time Hearst Connecticut Media MVP. He will be continuing his baseball career at UConn.

Interest from Division I colleges for baseball was a given, but Polonia was also getting looked at by Division I football programs but received no formal offers because of his desire to continue playing baseball.<<

16. dbmill

dbmill

Good stuff! By the way, I believe this is the first mention from UConn baseball on Twitter or on the UConn athletics website concerning any of the newcomers to Coach Penders team for this coming season. From what I can tell, UConn baseball in recent years has not issued any press releases publicizing incoming recruiting classes.

17. huskymedic

huskymedic

18. Dynasty

Dynasty Never not member

19. huskymedic

huskymedic

Class of 2017 -- SS/3B from Vincentian Academy in Pittsburgh PA

>>A 5-foot-11, 190-pound sophomore, Fedko has played a big part in Vincentian's success the past two seasons. He broke onto the varsity scene last year as a freshman phenom and ended up being among the WPIAL's top hitters as well as earned all-section honors. This season, Fedko kept his offensive stroke consistent with his rookie campaign. Through 14 games, he was batting .676 (23 for 34) with three home runs, 10 RBIs and 25 runs scored. He also had an on-base percentage of .778.<<

Dynasty likes this.
  20. Fishy

Fishy Puncher of Throats

21. huskymedic

huskymedic

Very nice:

>>Fedko gave a verbal commitment to Connecticut Wednesday, choosing the Huskies over Coastal Carolina and N.C. State.

“The coaching staff and history of baseball really stood out to me,” Fedko said. “They've had a past of high-round draft picks. That's what I want: I want to play in the major leagues.”<<

22. dbmill

dbmill

23. UCCornelius

UCCornelius

In the newest Baseball America issue:

2015 All-Area Code Games Team
    C: Cooper Johnson, White Sox, Carmel Catholic High, Mundelein, Ill.
    1B: Chris Winkel, Yankees, Amity Regional High, Woodbridge, Conn.
    2B: Bo Bichette, Nationals, Lakewood High, St. Petersburg, Fla.
    3B: Austin Shenton, Royals, Bellingham (Wash.) High
    SS: Nolan Jones, Yankees, Holy Ghost Prep, Bensalem, Pa.
    OF: Blake Rutherford, Brewers, Chaminade College Prep, Canoga, Calif.
    OF: Mickey Moniak, Brewers, La Costa Canyon High, Carlsbad, Calif.
    OF: Brandon McIlwain, Yankees, Council Rock North High, Newtown, Pa.
    DH: Ulysses Cantu, Rangers, Boswell High, Fort Worth, Texas
    P: Riley Pint, White Sox, St. Thomas Aquinas High, Overland Park, Kansas
    P: Jason Groome, Yankees, Barnegat (N.J.) High
    P: Jesus Luzardo, Nationals, Stoneman Douglas High, Parkland, Fla.
    P: Reggie Lawson, Brewers, Victor Valley High, Victorville, Calif.
    P: Kevin Gowdy, Brewers, Santa Barbara (Calif.) High

1B: Chris Winkel
    One of the more pleasant surprises of the week, Winkel squared up the ball consistently, pulling the ball deep into the gaps for several extra base hits. The ball routinely came off his lefthanded bat with authority, and he showed a smooth glove and quick feet around the first base bag. Winkel said that he plays first base for his high school team because that gives his team the best chance to win, but he has played a bit of outfield and is open to playing either position at the next level. He is committed to UConn.

huskymedic likes this.
  24. huskymedic

huskymedic

Should get a look at him in UConn fall ball session. Kid's a stud. Coppola and the Amity pipeline keeps flowing. Wouldn't be surprised to see his younger brother Pat ( Jr. catcher) end up @ UConn as well.

Wow... Another Bichette on the rise.

25. huskymedic

huskymedic

Corrected error - had my years mixed.