Baseball Opening Weekend @ FAU | The Boneyard

Baseball Opening Weekend @ FAU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How does Uconnhuskies.com not have a downloadable schedule yet? I can create one on my own, but it's just so much more convenient to download it from the site..

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you click on the open to add to Calendar, the first options are UConn Field Hockey, UConn Football, and UConn Men's Basketball. It's not only the list in the first place but given that women don't play baseball, it should be first based on alphabetical order.

Reaction Score
If you click on the open to add to Calendar, the first options are UConn Field Hockey, UConn Football, and UConn Men's Basketball. It's not only the list in the first place but given that women don't play baseball, it should be first based on alphabetical order.

Ahhh gotcha... never went into it to actually download to calendar.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
So does anyone have an idea of how good FAU is supposed to be this year? A couple of years ago they made the NCAA tournament as a 2 seed but I would imagine that this team vaguely resembles that one, if at all. Quickly looking over their roster, they lost a couple of key pitchers from last year along with their best hitter.

Reaction Score
"FAU returns nine starters and boasts 16 newcomers, including nine freshman on the 2015 roster."

Reaction Score
The actual UConn lineup for tonight's game.

CF - Sundberg
2B - Siena
1B - Melley
RF - Davey
C - McDowell
3B - Daniello
LF - Yavarone
DH - DeRoche-Duffin
SS - Hill

P - Cross

Reaction Score
Another opening day and another opening day loss for Penders. The concerning thing and I know it is only 1 game, is the same old things. Through 6 innings we have struck out 10 times, have 1 hit, make no contact, swing at 2-0, 3-1 pitches when we need base runners. Fielding errors leading to unearned runs. The young guys Montgomerie and Holmes really struggled in the 6th. 7 runs on only 3 hits.

Good news is that Cross did pitch solid in first game back.

I don't want to hear the excuses this year that this team is still young. This team is now loaded with upper classmen.

Time to start producing and this is not a good start.

Gave up watching in the 6th down 10-0

Reaction Score
Another opening day and another opening day loss for Penders. The concerning thing and I know it is only 1 game, is the same old things. Through 6 innings we have struck out 10 times, have 1 hit, make no contact, swing at 2-0, 3-1 pitches when we need base runners. Fielding errors leading to unearned runs. The young guys Montgomerie and Holmes really struggled in the 6th. 7 runs on only 3 hits.

Good news is that Cross did pitch solid in first game back.

I don't want to hear the excuses this year that this team is still young. This team is now loaded with upper classmen.

Time to start producing and this is not a good start.

Gave up watching in the 6th down 10-0

Part of what has made this game so brutal is that after Cross came out of the game, Penders decided to go with some of his untried freshmen pitchers in relief to see what they could do instead of going with a seasoned pitcher, no doubt saving them for when UConn has a lead. Even considering the fact that the fielders didn't give them any support, the results were terrible, to say the least. We might not see Holmes, Montgomerie, and Rivera pitching in a game for some time.

I'm really hoping this first game is just a blip, but it has had some eerie overtones from last season. At least we can't argue over clutch hitting, as no one has been on base for most of the game.

Last year was a young team with lot's of sophomores and freshmen in the lineup. It was young. But with a team loaded with juniors, it is certainly no longer valid to say they are young and inexperienced. They need to start producing, and soon.

Reaction Score
Walk-off homer bottom of 10 off Nico Darras in relief... lost 2-1

Reaction Score
So we managed 4 hits in 11 innings today. Where's the offense guys? Also, didn't realize Darras was a pitcher, but he had already gone 1.2 innings. Why do you bring him in for the 11th when you have Routolo and Zapata who haven't pitched yet. What are you saving them for Penders? Another year of him leaving me scratching my head with his decisions.

Reaction Score
12 more k's at the plate.
The only substitution in the lineup today was Testani who was 0-3 with 3k's. Some things aren't changing even now that he is a Senior.

Reaction Score
So we managed 4 hits in 11 innings today. Where's the offense guys? Also, didn't realize Darras was a pitcher, but he had already gone 1.2 innings. Why do you bring him in for the 11th when you have Routolo and Zapata who haven't pitched yet. What are you saving them for Penders? Another year of him leaving me scratching my head with his decisions.

The Chris Jones baseball preview articles on the UConn webpage are full of information on this year's team, including the conversion of Darras into a reliever, and that he would be seeing late inning work in close games. The coaching staff is high on both him and Over. Up until the home run, Darras pitched quite well today, as did Kay and Over. Penders was probably keeping Ruotolo in the pen waiting for a save situation. At any rate, tomorrow being the last game for several days, I would expect Ruotolo to see the mound tomorrow.

Testani had a pretty good year at summer ball, so I have no problem seeing him get a start to see what he can do. Penders pinched hit for Testani with nobody on after the third strike out, so I guess the coaching staff had enough of his strike outs for that game.

Testani was in right field because Davey was catching, and Max McDowell, with a day game after a night game, spent this one at DH. Is Davey now the primary backup catcher?

Reaction Score
This team struggled to hit last year...not sure why there is a surprise that there is going to be little offense this year

Reaction Score
Lineup changes for the third game of the series has McDowell back catching, Davey back in right field, Deroche-Duffin at DH as he did in the first game, and Griffin Garabedian in left replacing Yavarone. By the way, of all the UConn batters who played in the first two games, Yavarone is the only one who had not gotten on base.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn gets its second home run of the season courtesy of Blake Davey. UConn up 2-0 after 3 innings.

Reaction Score
UConn has their version of hitting shoes on today. Two out RBI single by Sundberg scores Deroche-Duffin. UConn up 3-0 in top of 5th inning.

Reaction Score
Also, didn't realize Darras was a pitcher, but he had already gone 1.2 innings. Why do you bring him in for the 11th when you have Routolo and Zapata who haven't pitched yet. What are you saving them for Penders?

Routolo did not make trip... violation of team rules.

Reaction Score
Routolo did not make trip... violation of team rules.
Sorry to hear that. Tabakman pitching a good game but started to lose it with control in the 6th. Need new pitcher to sart 7th. Would like to see Zapata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom