OT: - Baseball - Cardinals | The Boneyard

OT: Baseball - Cardinals

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
They just had the most comfortable winner take all game in the history of the playoffs. 10 run lead before Houston saw a single pitch and up 13-0 after three. It's nice costing into the next round after 3 innings (probably really after 1).

The only thing that surprised me is that after scoring 10, they rolled out their best pitcher and let him go 6 innings. I would have not bothered to throw him at all and just went with a bevy of relievers for the game. At the very least, take him out after three. He would have plenty of time to cool down, recover from warms ups and be ready in 2 or 3 days. Now he really shouldn't throw before Sunday or Monday.

Reaction Score
They just had the most comfortable winner take all game in the history of the playoffs. 10 run lead before Houston saw a single pitch and up 13-0 after three. It's nice costing into the next round after 3 innings (probably really after 1).

The only thing that surprised me is that after scoring 10, they rolled out their best pitcher and let him go 6 innings. I would have not bothered to throw him at all and just went with a bevy of relievers for the game. At the very least, take him out after three. He would have plenty of time to cool down, recover from warms ups and be ready in 2 or 3 days. Now he really shouldn't throw before Sunday or Monday.

Atlanta

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Go Cards. I had to laugh. Espn's Tim Kirkjien said it was the most unbelievable playoff he had seen. He ran off a crazy list of improbables that took place in the win over the Braves, including most productive 1st inning in playoff history. On another note -Same ol' Braves.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
About the other game... it's the 9th inning, Howie Kendrick has just hit a granny for the Nats to make it 7-3 and Dodgers fans are fleeing for the exits.

Who doesn't stay through the bottom 9th with your team down only four in a winner-take-all game? Hell, even the Pirates can come back from four down, especially against the Nats' pen.

Bad, bad fans.

Anyway, be honest... who saw Cards vs Nats in NLDS? I sure as hell didn't.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Why stay and watch a team so mismanaged it is criminal. Kershaw should not have been allowed to touch a baseball in the playoffs. Beat the traffic.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Dodgers were overrated all year. LA fans all suck too, they care more about how many likes they get on their Instagram photo of themselves at Dodger Stadium.

Reaction Score
Why stay and watch a team so mismanaged it is criminal. Kershaw should not have been allowed to touch a baseball in the playoffs. Beat the traffic.
I agree they're mismanaged but Kershaw shouldn't have touched a baseball in the playoffs? I really like Kershaw as a person but there is no way around it, he's a choker. Regular season he's the best pitcher of his generation and the playoffs he's a disaster.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree they're mismanaged but Kershaw shouldn't have touched a baseball in the playoffs? I really like Kershaw as a person but there is no way around it, he's a choker. Regular season he's the best pitcher of his generation and the playoffs he's a disaster.

I meant in a high pressure relief situation which he is not used to. I like Kershaw as well but Mismanagement

Reaction Score

He certainly shouldn't have touched it after a 1-2-3 inning. Pick it up and run at that point do not send him out there. Then no closer to start the 10th? Wow good thing Roberts was safe at 2nd vs the Yanks he has little else.

Reaction Score
He certainly shouldn't have touched it after a 1-2-3 inning. Pick it up and run at that point do not send him out there. Then no closer to start the 10th? Wow good thing Roberts was safe at 2nd vs the Yanks he has little else.
He didn't have a 1-2-3 inning. He got 1 out, Adam Eaton, to end the inning. I'm not going to pretend Kenley Jansen was going to get the guys out that Kershaw and Kelly couldn't. Jansen sucks but he is your closer, they should've addressed the bullpen during the season or in thr summer.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He didn't have a 1-2-3 inning. He got 1 out, Adam Eaton, to end the inning. I'm not going to pretend Kenley Jansen was going to get the guys out that Kershaw and Kelly couldn't. Jansen sucks but he is your closer, they should've addressed the bullpen during the season or in thr summer.

I think he's confusing Kershaw with Kelly, who did have a 10 pitch 1-2-3 inning and should've ended his night right there instead of being brought back out.

Reaction Score

Oh crap heard it wrong that’s even worst. Adam Eaton sucks anyway.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
How soon everyone forgets game 5 in 2017 and game 7 in 2018.

the Rendon pitch was just great hitting.

Roberts didn’t want to burn a bunch of arms for 2 or 3 hitters.

sometimes the players just don’t execute, but everyone and their mother knew the first 2 arms were gonna be walker and kershaw.
The bigger surprise was kelly over Kenley, but it’s clear that Roberts lost confidence in him.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
About the other game... it's the 9th inning, Howie Kendrick has just hit a granny for the Nats to make it 7-3 and Dodgers fans are fleeing for the exits.

Who doesn't stay through the bottom 9th with your team down only four in a winner-take-all game? Hell, even the Pirates can come back from four down, especially against the Nats' pen.

Bad, bad fans.

Anyway, be honest... who saw Cards vs Nats in NLDS? I sure as hell didn't.
Cards fans. Much like UConn, Cardiac Cards come alive in the playoffs. Last World Series (2011) the Cards clinched the wild card on the last day of the season. Beat the Phillies, then the Brewers and finished off the Rangers to win the World Championship. Go Cards.

Reaction Score
Rendon hit a good pitch. That was just a good hitter, who is hot, making something happen. The pitch to Soto was not a good pitch, but I would take Kershaw on my team any day.

He got the out he needed in the 8th. That should have been the one and only batter he faced. They had a two run lead. Time to hand it over to your pen to let them earn their money.

Reaction Score
I dunno, if you'd gone to your 'pen in the 9th and they blew it, the question would've been "why pull Kershaw after only one batter!?? He's your best pitcher, throw him till he gives up a hit!"
Always easy to 2nd guess afterwards.

Reaction Score
I dunno, if you'd gone to your 'pen in the 9th and they blew it, the question would've been "why pull Kershaw after only one batter!?? He's your best pitcher, throw him till he gives up a hit!"
Best pitcher but certainly not your best pitcher in that spot. I'm a huge fan of the guy but he fails in that spot so often. Best regular season pitcher of his generarion but he's kind of a nightmare in the postseason, there is no getting around that.

Reaction Score
Were you ok with going to Kershaw in the 8th with 2 outs?
That was the 7th when he came in with 2 outs. I think bringing him in out of the bullpen at any time is pretty much setting yourself up for failure. Facing Eaton for one out is maybe okay but I exoected it to blow up in their face as soon as they brought him out for the 8th but giving up 2 homers in 3 pitches is insane.

Reaction Score

I am a big believer in relying on the guys who got you there. Especially when the person is a future HOFer. I thought Grady Little did right thing when he left pedro in.

But Kershaw's post season history is all the cover a manager would need if he pulled him and then Pen blew it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom