Bard to Pawtucket | The Boneyard

Bard to Pawtucket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bard was sent to Pawtucket today and DiceK is expected to join the big club and get a start over the weekend.
Bard is a much better pitcher than he has shown this season but he needs to get his mechanics and his head in shape. Now I get to scream at my TV "throw a f----n strike and stop nibbling you a--hole."

Reaction Score
Bard was sent to Pawtucket today and DiceK is expected to join the big club and get a start over the weekend.
Bard is a much better pitcher than he has shown this season but he needs to get his mechanics and his head in shape. Now I get to scream at my TV "throw a f----n strike and stop nibbling you a--hole."

As opposed to "throw a f---n strike and stop hitting people you a--hole"?

In all seriousness, I liked what I saw out of Bard early in the year. He was getting ground balls to get out of tough spots and going deeper and deeper into games. Then, something happened. I hope the Sox don't really mess him up by sticking him in Pawtucket.

Reaction Score
I don't get why they just throw him in the pen. I was hoping he could make the transition and I thought he showed lots of promise but it's clear that he can't really do it. Burning an option on him to "figure" it out seems a little severe when they could do the easy thing and put him in the pen and help either stabilize Aceves or close himself. Don't need to pitch strikes to be a closer.

Reaction Score
They can't just
I don't get why they just throw him in the pen. I was hoping he could make the transition and I thought he showed lots of promise but it's clear that he can't really do it. Burning an option on him to "figure" it out seems a little severe when they could do the easy thing and put him in the pen and help either stabilize Aceves or close himself. Don't need to pitch strikes to be a closer.
You can't throw him in the pen and expect him to be effective because of his mechanics . Bard's release point is all over the place and he simply isn't ready to pitch. Right now Pawtucket is the best destination for him although there is always the danger that it could mess with his confidence.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think this also partly a warning shot to the guy, telling him to get his head out of his ass and grow the ef up. Did you hear some of his post-game comments? He wasn't owning his performance (or lack of), he was trying to blame the coaches.

Reaction Score
I think this also partly a warning shot to the guy, telling him to get his head out of his ass and grow the ef up. Did you hear some of his post-game comments? He wasn't owning his performance (or lack of), he was trying to blame the coaches.
I haven't liked his post-game comments either. In some of his more dismal outings, he would say that even though the results weren't good he really liked the way he was throwing. Unfortunately the opposing hitters liked the way who was throwing too. I still say he belongs in a set-up role in the pen where he can throw his 98 mph fast ball.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm not entirely sure the types of pitches he throws are conducive to being a ML starter. His current problem is that the ones he's been throwing have been awful, but the larger problem is the makeup of his repertoire.

Reaction Score
I just hope that Bard does not become the next Joba Chamberlain.

Reaction Score
What an absolute DISASTER by the Red Sox here. I honestly don't think you could come up with a worse possible outcome of this "bullpen to starter" experiment. Bard was undoubtedly the heir apparent closer at the end of the 2011 season. Now he's trying to regain his ability to throw the ball over the plate in AAA. Wicked awesome move there, fellas.

Reaction Score
What an absolute DISASTER by the Red Sox here. I honestly don't think you could come up with a worse possible outcome of this "bullpen to starter" experiment. Bard was undoubtedly the heir apparent closer at the end of the 2011 season. Now he's trying to regain his ability to throw the ball over the plate in AAA. Wicked awesome move there, fellas.
It was definitely a questionable decision to let Bard start. But he wanted to try and the Sox were short on starters. Now it is time to put him back in the pen but I still don't think he is a closer. He seems to be somewhat streaky. He can pitch poorly for two or two and a half weeks before he gets back on track. He would be run out of town in Boston if he did that in the closer's role.

Reaction Score
According to the Herald, he is back to the pen. Now he just has to work out of the bad habits he developed trying to be a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom