Banghart vs Lawson | The Boneyard

Banghart vs Lawson

Reaction Score
Since we’re making coach comparisons, how about these two?

I know little about the quality of players at UNC but this year’s team and their newish coach is a surprise to me. As are the relative troubles of Duke and their new coach.

Reaction Score
This is Banghart's third year but she has recruited pretty well and seems to have them improved. I think she is doing a good job.

Not sure what to make of Lawson yet, last year gave us nothing. This year, they looked solid early but sort have collapsed the back half of the year. She has recruited well, still not sure on the coaching yet but next year will probably say a lot more.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Too early to tell.....though I'm no fan of Banghart. Runs her mouth a bit too much for my taste.
Color me skeptical but if a deaf mute was coach of North Carolina I think you would say “She uses her hand gestures too much for my taste”. :rolleyes:

Banghart has already proven she can coach and build a program and is continuing that set of skills now at Chapel Hill. Lawson can only hope to have the same kind of success her first 8 years of coaching that Courtney has had.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I’m for Kara and Duke PERIOD. I’ve always liked Kara. Never cared for CB that much. I pray they beat UNC.

One of the best posts I've ever read in the 14 years I've been on the Boneyard.

giphy.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Color me skeptical but if a deaf mute was coach of North Carolina I think you would say “She uses her hand gestures too much for my taste”. :rolleyes:

Banghart has already proven she can coach and build a program and is continuing that set of skills now at Chapel Hill. Lawson can only hope to have the same kind of success her first 8 years of coaching that Courtney has had.
1. For some reason you think I harbor ill will towards that school in Chapel Hill

2. Well I hope Lawson wins more than 1 NCAA tournament game in 8 years.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
BE15DC7F-5660-4109-AEAB-F862C8EF33AF.jpeg

I think highly of both coaches, and am happy with today's result.

Might be a bit of Big Green loyalty. :D
F823F44E-3892-4AD5-9421-37422D47B79A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Too early to tell.....though I'm no fan of Banghart. Runs her mouth a bit too much for my taste.
Honest question, I dont follow NC or am super familiar with Banghart but does she really? Run her mouth as in work the refs or does she make over the top statements to the media?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Honest question, I dont follow NC or am super familiar with Banghart but does she really? Run her mouth as in work the refs or does she make over the top statements to the media?

Just stuff in the media

Stuff like this when her school probably averages about 2,000 a game

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
After they got their arses whipped.... she said that the gym they played in in the bahamas was louder..

Here is a good clip

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
FWIW, a former colleague of mine played for Banghart at Princeton in her first two seasons there and raved, raved about her. My sense is that she's extremely well liked by players, as evinced by the fact that ND's Olivia Miles openly said she would have gone to Princeton if Banghart had stayed. (and that would be a major step down from ND in terms of program prestige.)

BTW- Banghart's comments that people seem to disdain remind me an awful lot of a certain Italian American who has an uncanny ability to get under opposing teams' fans' skin. Me? I love coaches who keep it real.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
FWIW, a former colleague of mine played for Banghart at Princeton in her first two seasons there and raved, raved about her. My sense is that she's extremely well liked by players, as evinced by the fact that ND's Olivia Miles openly said she would have gone to Princeton if Banghart had stayed. (and that would be a major step down from ND in terms of program prestige.)

BTW- Banghart's comments that people seem to disdain remind me an awful lot of a certain Italian American who has an uncanny ability to get under opposing teams' fans' skin. Me? I love coaches who keep it real.
- She's from Manchester, NH and went to Dartmouth. My brother went undergrad to that school, as well, and whenever I visited the state, I remember straight-forward answers on any topic. Courtney says what she feels/wants.

- Yup, she had the inner track to Ms. Miles, but once she went to UNC, that opened the door for Coach Ivey.

- Right now, I think it's a slightly uneven playing field: Banghart has HC experience from one D1 school and now has the resources from an ACC program to take the next step. She's made solid steps and wiht the younger Key coming back, should be even stronger next year.

- While Coach Lawson brought in a bunch of individually talented transfers, mixing all those pieces into a cohesive playing unit is the trick. Given the injuries and illnesses, the challenge has been formidable. Still, she's smart, talented, has a good staff. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Cause I want to keep my Boneyard membership intact :rolleyes:

Plenty of male coaches that run their piehole too much.... Nate Oats of Alabama immediately comes to mind. I may have said something about him last season.
And it was totally fair to do so. Still don't understand what Oats thought he was accomplishing last season when he made the comments he did.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She’s not wrong. it IS a small gyn with a capacity of 5500.

Yeah, but their gym isn't much bigger and they average less than 1/2 what State gets.

If you turn on the TV and look into the crowd and see a middle aged guy with a Duke shirt... a paper bag over his head, and a fire Banghart poster... then you will know who it is.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yeah, but their gym isn't much bigger and they average less than 1/2 what State gets.

If you turn on the TV and look into the crowd and see a middle aged guy with a Duke shirt... a paper bag over his head, and a fire Banghart poster... then you will know who it is.
So, being one of attendance aficionados, I did a little digging and I have some data on attendance:
NC State averaged 4,652 in 17 games at Reynolds Coliseum
NC averaged 2,136 in 14 games
Duke averaged 3,018 in 15 games
Wake Forest averaged 913 in 14 games at Reynolds Gymnasium
The 2020 ACC Tournament averaged 5,442 over 9 sessioms

UConn averaged 9,105 in 12 games

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads