Balance between home and road games | The Boneyard

Balance between home and road games

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
One of the things I admire about Geno's nonconference scheduling is the balance between home games and true road games. Sadly, this is not typical among top programs.

To get an objective measure of the balance or imbalance between home and away games among top 50 teams, I created the "game location index" (GLI)* using the following reference values for convenience:
  • GLI = 0: This would mean an OOC schedule consisting solely of home games.
  • GLI = 10: This would mean an equal number of home games and true road games.
  • GLI = 20: This would mean an OOC schedule consisting solely of true road games.
The following table takes the top 50 teams in Massey and ranks them by GLI, from best to worst.

1577464152265.png

At one end of the spectrum are teams that played at least as many true road games as home games, such as Northern Iowa, Missouri State, Creighton UConn, Ohio State, FGCU and Princeton.

At the other end are teams that barely play any true road games on the OOC schedule, such as Miami, Nebraska, Arkansas, Baylor, Oregon State, North Carolina, Kansas and Kentucky.

* The GLI is calculated by taking the percentage of home games out of all OOC games scheduled, then subtracting the percentage of true road games, then multiplying the difference by 10 and subtracting this product from 10. For example, a team with 6 home games, 3 true road games and 3 neutral-court games (i.e., 50% of its OOC schedule at home and 25% in true road games) will have a GLI of 10 – 10 (0.5 – 0.25) = 7.5

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
One of the things I admire about Geno's nonconference scheduling is the balance between home games and true road games. Sadly, this is not typical among top programs.

To get an objective measure of the balance or imbalance between home and away games among top 50 teams, I created the "game location index" (GLI)* using the following reference values for convenience:
  • GLI = 0: This would mean an OOC schedule consisting solely of home games.
  • GLI = 10: This would mean an equal number of home games and true road games.
  • GLI = 20: This would mean an OOC schedule consisting solely of true road games.
The following table takes the top 50 teams in Massey and ranks them by GLI, from best to worst.

View attachment 49431

At one end of the spectrum are teams that played at least as many true road games as home games, such as Northern Iowa, Missouri State, Creighton UConn, Ohio State, FGCU and Princeton.

At the other end are teams that barely play any true road games on the OOC schedule, such as Miami, Nebraska, Arkansas, Baylor, Oregon State, North Carolina, Kansas and Kentucky.

* The GLI is calculated by taking the percentage of home games out of all OOC games scheduled, then subtracting the percentage of true road games, then multiplying the difference by 10 and subtracting this product from 10. For example, a team with 6 home games, 3 true road games and 3 neutral-court games (i.e., 50% of its OOC schedule at home and 25% in true road games) will have a GLI of 10 – 10 (0.5 – 0.25) = 7.5
I believe that Oregon has 3 true road games on the schedule: Syracuse, Long Beach State, and UCONN.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I believe that Oregon has 3 true road games on the schedule: Syracuse, Long Beach State, and UCONN.
Ah, thank you. I missed that one. Will correct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom