Bad teams that "play out of their mind" vs superior teams | The Boneyard

Bad teams that "play out of their mind" vs superior teams

Reaction Score
I posted this elsewhere but feel it deserves its own topic and want to see if people can start to come up with examples, as well as rules as to what qualifies for what I am about to describe...(which is "out of their mind" type games).

Now I am not quite sure how to put this, but I will try and hope y'all understand.

Now, I do not have the stats to back me up, but I feel like every bottom dwelling and/or under .500 team in the Power 5/Big East (and even AAC) even when their season stinks, has that ONE game (per season) where they play out of their mind and, at the very least, keep a game against a superior opponent close (one possesion and/or overtime loss) and even win sometimes. Look at under .500 Vandy taking UK to overtime the other night as recent example. They might finish well below .500, even in last place, but they have at least ONE game where they played out of their mind. St. Johns/Xavier as well. Both teams are super inferior teams IMO.

But I would venture, and can do the research if people are interested, that nearly every last place team in the P5 in the history of bball has had at least ONE game per year where they take a top 20 team to the wire and even win sometimes. I would bet on it and would figure a 10 year sample is enough, if, again, people want me to look into it.

With all of that said, when the heck is that ONE "out of their minds" game going to occur for Uconn??? Teams that would be considered for that type of win thus far are Nova, MSU and perhaps even Zona and WSU. Coming games that could qualify are Cincy and WSU. But it did not happen last year and has not yet this year. I think Uconn missing an out of their mind game in a 2 year span could very well be unique in college ball among the P5/Big east/aac.

From now on I will refer to this as the "out of their mind game of the season (OoTMGotS)" for certian teams such as, again, Vandy vs UK. Some under .500 teams are even lucky to have multiple games...One would argue St. Johns has had multiple OoTMGs this year. Uconn on the other hand, is likely at the bottom of that list (of OoTMGotS in the past two or three years) if it were to be compiled.

I think by any metric
Vandy/UK
Xavier/St. Johns
would count as OoTMGotS

Now, Uconn has been lucky in MOST seasons since, like, 1990 to not even be in a position for this type of game considering how good they were. But could Uconn beating #1 Texas count as this type of game? Maybe that was the last game they had that COULD be considered OoTMG?

So to bring this full circle, if Uconn played to within one possesion, win or lose, vs Cincy, would that not be an OoTMG? I would think so and I hope for it but since it did not happen last year...

Well, hope that all makes sense.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s particularly thought provoking because the first third of the post is you trying to describe an anecdotal phenomenon we all have already observed. Then the rest is using that to what, garner some hope that we are that team to Cinci? Or just give them a rock fight? Why should we care? Why should we be holding out hope for that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does it really matter? The season feels like it's lost already no matter how they play against a top 20 team in 1 game. I don't think that would make anyone feel better. Especially if they just play terrible the rest of the season outside of that 1 game.

I think what everyone was hoping for was gradual improvement culminating in at least 1 OoTMGotS or a win in one of those games. That would be something to build off. But it doesn't look like that's happening.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I mean, the phenomenon OP discusses does occur. I just don't foresee it happening with this team.

Reaction Score
This is the equivalent as the nerdiest guy in high school tripping over himself and the prom queen helping him up. Yeah she talked to him but she never intended to go out with him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
St John’s was a 4 pt underdog to Xavier and lost by 5.

Vandy was a 9 pt dog and lost by 2.

I’m confused at what I’m supposed to take from that relative to UConn. They were a 5 pt underdog who lost by more because of free throws at the end.

Reaction Score
This is the equivalent as the nerdiest guy in high school tripping over himself and the prom queen helping him up. Yeah she talked to him but she never intended to go out with him.
??
I don't get your analogy? In regards to Uconn? In regards to a bad team playing out of their mind against a good one?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We've managed to do it for a while, but never hold on for the full 40. We had our moments against MSU and Witchita State, but not a whole lot more. This is a valid post and topic, but I think the reason why people are responding negatively to it is that we're kind of past the point where any sort of moral victory feels good anymore. We desperately need a victory on the scoreboard at this point. I'd certainly like to see us beat Cincinnati, but I'm holding out little hope.

Reaction Score
This is a valid post and topic, but I think the reason why people are responding negatively to it is that we're kind of past the point where any sort of moral victory feels good anymore.

Thanks and, yah, I don't get that (negative responses).

kind of past the point where any sort of moral victory feels good anymore. We desperately need a victory on the scoreboard at this point. I'd certainly like to see us beat Cincinnati, but I'm holding out little hope.

Sorry if it sounded like I was talking about a "moral victory". I would love nothing more for uconn to play out of their minds and snatch a win from the Bearcats. It might not mean much in the long run, but 17-16 with a win over cincy vs 16-17, well, it is a HUGE difference IMO. I am just wondering why they really haven't gotten that ONE defining win over a great team in nearly two years like other bottom dwellers have. But oh well.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Thanks and, yah, I don't get that (negative responses).

Sorry if it sounded like I was talking about a "moral victory". I would love nothing more for uconn to play out of their minds and snatch a win from the Bearcats. It might not mean much in the long run, but 17-16 with a win over cincy vs 16-17, well, it is a HUGE difference IMO. I am just wondering why they really haven't gotten that ONE defining win over a great team in nearly two years like other bottom dwellers have. But oh well.

It's beyond frustrating that we haven't, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
After what we’ve seen this year just staying close to Cincy would almost be like a win, say within 5 points. Should that happen,it could be something to build on but I don’t expect good rebounding against them and you all know how we shoot. Yet, should we shoot 60% from 3 on 20 attempts who knows?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom