Bad, Bad!...Bad, Bad, Bad!!! | The Boneyard

Bad, Bad!...Bad, Bad, Bad!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn Bad For Game??? Uh, well : "Out of 83 live UConn Women’s Basketball game telecasts on SNY since Nov 2012, the four highest rated have aired this year from Jan 4 to Feb 1." Impressive ratings for UConn/Temple game

The Circus is not only in town, it's in your living room. Watch the play, the artistry of it, and forget the score. This team, when it decides to go for great, makes basketball into performance art.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
People who really know, understand and appreciate watching basketball being played the way it is supposed to be, would NEVER say or suggest that the success that UConn has had the past few years is bad for women's basketball. Haters gonna hate!!!

Moreover, they would say that the other programs need to step up their game to in an effort to reach a level playing field with UConn, as the Huskies are usually head and shoulders above most of their competition, and the final score reflects it.

I agree with something Geno said last night on his SNY/TV show. He said: "I know what I know; and I know what I don't know". A UConn fan does not need others to tell him/her what they're looking at, and whether it's good or not. Like Geno as said many times...................If you don't like to see us win, then beat us. :)

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Sigh - if only the football team could drive viewership this well, particularly in the SNY market, perhaps the Big Ten might be more favorably inclined to invite us in.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sigh - if only the football team could drive viewership this well, particularly in the SNY market, perhaps the Big Ten might be more favorably inclined to invite us in.

IF....the football program follows the blueprint of the South Carolina Gamecocks (during the Spurrier era), going from an after thought cellar dweller, to a top 5 powerhouse, that won double digit games over an extended period of time, then the P5 conference would come-a-callin'. Beacuse????, everyone likes a winner. Any team (program) that they can add to their conference that will help them generate more revenue, is just what the doctor ordered. Be it UConn, or any other school. UConn would not have to petition other conferences, they would come UConn. A top 5 team should (in theory) be in a P5 conference..............right? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
IF....the football program follows the blueprint of the South Carolina Gamecocks (during the Spurrier era), going from an after thought cellar dweller, to a top 5 powerhouse, that won double digit games over an extended period of time, then the P5 conference would come-a-callin'. Beacuse????, everyone likes a winner. Any team (program) that they can add to their conference that will help them generate more revenue, is just what the doctor ordered. Be it UConn, or any other school. UConn would not have to petition other conferences, they would come UConn. A top 5 team should (in theory) be in a P5 conference....right? :rolleyes:
"Follows the blueprint" meaning UConn actually hires Lou Holtz/Steve Spurrier types (updated to current times: Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, etc.), gives them a big-time recruiting budget, big-league assistant coaching budget (a la Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkesian, etc.), world class facilities, etc., right?

This CAN be done. It just takes a commitment, including some rich boosters and/or generous state legislators. From what I can see UConn is either nowhere close to even understanding this - much less actually doing it, or they're just committed to going through the motions to schmooze the alums and try to prolong the head-in-the-sand non-football status quo as long as possible.

Carnac

Reaction Score
"Follows the blueprint" meaning UConn actually hires Lou Holtz/Steve Spurrier types (updated to current times: Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, etc.), gives them a big-time recruiting budget, big-league assistant coaching budget (a la Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkesian, etc.), world class facilities, etc., right?

This CAN be done. It just takes a commitment, including some rich boosters and/or generous state legislators. From what I can see UConn is either nowhere close to even understanding this - much less actually doing it, or they're just committed to going through the motions to schmooze the alums and try to prolong the head-in-the-sand non-football status quo as long as possible.

This CAN be done. It just takes a commitment. The only question is: to what ends are you willing to go to make UConn football a real, legitimate and consistent winner? I think when enough fans/boosters get sick & tired of being sick & tired with the mediocrity of the program, something will get done. As a wise old philosopher once said: Winners are not winners by accident, they're winners on purpose and by design.

Reaction Score
This CAN be done. It just takes a commitment. The only question is: to what ends are you willing to go to make UConn football a real, legitimate and consistent winner? I think when enough fans/boosters get sick & tired of being sick & tired with the mediocrity of the program, something will get done. As a wise old philosopher once said: Winners are not winners by accident, they're winners on purpose and by design.
Well, if they aren't sick and tired by now....

Like Cuba Gooding said to Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire, "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!"

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
He said: "I know what I know; and I know what I don't know". A UConn fan does not need others to tell him/her what they're looking at, and whether it's good or not. Like Geno as said many times....If you don't like to see us win, then beat us. :)
Channeling his inner Rumsfeld!! :D

Reaction Score
Careful what you wish for. Rutgers has paid a very stiff price in lots of ways for its membership. It's frustrating for UConn WCBB to play the conference schedule it does, but depending on a significantly better football program--with all the potential problems that can bring--to bootstrap basketball into a more competitive conference can well produce more overall harm than good.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Best description I've ever heard of UConn WCBB.

Well, when they are on the break and the ball doesn't touch the floor 'til it falls through the hoop after passing through the hands of 4 of them, it sure looks just like that. I'm sitting in my chair with my chin on the floor thinking: run that back again.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Careful what you wish for. Rutgers has paid a very stiff price in lots of ways for its membership. It's frustrating for UConn WCBB to play the conference schedule it does, but depending on a significantly better football program--with all the potential problems that can bring--to bootstrap basketball into a more competitive conference can well produce more overall harm than good.
I'm just not seeing that at all. Moving the to P5 would be hugely beneficial to the school on many levels. I don't see much of a downside. That said, I don't think it is particularly likely at this point for a lot of reasons.

[Agree about RU but when they fully vest (2021?) it will have been worth it.]

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
As a UConn WBB fan, why would you even want to join a P5 conference? Being in the AAC doesn't seem to be hurting UConn right now.. the OOC schedule compensates for the conference schedule and you still get the recruits that you want because of the program's profile. Exposure isn't hurting (ESPN loves UConn) and I'm pretty sure UConn isn't hurting financially.

Some of you want a bigger investment in football to attract a "better" conference.. but the trade off there is that joining a P5 conference could lead to basketball becoming less important. In the P5, football is king, and it's all about keeping up with the Joneses and if UConn joins the ACC or the Big Ten I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they will have to dump A LOT of money into football almost overnight. SC has invested over $100 in football since joining the SEC in 1992 and we're still essentially playing catch up in a sense (20+ years later). And we're now building a $50 million football operations building (the current trend in P5 football). Can you imagine what we could do with a $50 million investment to our basketball facilities...

No P5 conference is going to accept you without a significant investment initially and continually in football, so that will automatically make basketball 2nd place at UConn. Right now, UConn basketball doesn't have to play second fiddle to any other sport on campus.

Long story short, you will likely make a lot of money in a P5 conference... but are UConn fans ready for 75% of that money to go to football?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I understand your point and don't disagree with it. To expand on my viewpoint:

It's not that I think all of UConn sports program are full of angels and are beyond reproach, but Rutgers entered when they were mired (or about to be mired) in multiple scandals and when pretty much across the board, were not doing well athletically in major sports.

Water over the dam but one can speculate that had Edsall stayed and we remained decently strong in football, how things might have turned out. I don't think we would have had the same woes as Rutgers and would have provided the B1G a good presence in the New York metro market. Not to mention that UConn has been improving its academic profile all along.

The additional revenue that the B1G provides or any other major conference is important if UConn wants to continue to be relevant nationally, unless somehow the AAC ups its game in many sport and attracts more television support.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom