Bacon Methodology | The Boneyard

Bacon Methodology

Reaction Score
Don't even need to read the article. The answer is in the oven on a silicone baking mat.

Reaction Score
Interesting, I saw the sous vide option and immediately thought how gross the bacon would certainly come out. However, as with steaks and many other proteins, there is still a pan-searing step involved. I can understand how thick cut bacon might work our really well this way. While being a rather drawn out process, there is the convenience of being able to use the existing store packaging and the potential to do the sous vide process well ahead of time. Will definitely try this.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
1666730623345.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Air fryer is by far best mrhod for cooking and easiest for clean up.

360 degrees and vary the time based on thickness and how well you like you bacon crisped.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I typically do it in the oven, in a sheet pan lined with the extra wide foil, so cleanup basically consists of just tossing the foil. An air fryer is one of the few kitchen gizmos i haven't picked up yet.

Reaction Score
I typically do it in the oven, in a sheet pan lined with the extra wide foil, so cleanup basically consists of just tossing the foil. An air fryer is one of the few kitchen gizmos i haven't picked up yet.

It's pretty cool. I'm not entirely sure what it does or if I'm using it correctly but I just throw some in there and turn some knobs and it comes out pretty good.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I have tried all buy but the sous vide, and still prefer my bacon fried in a cast iron pan. But then again, most people would call my bacon burnt.

Reaction Score
I prefer no bacon.. Never really cared for it. It is like coffee. They smell good while cooking/brewing, but are a disappointment when you taste them.

Reaction Score
I have tried all buy but the sous vide, and still prefer my bacon fried in a cast iron pan. But then again, most people would call my bacon burnt.
Same, frying pan is best IMO but I don't like it burned or too crispy. A little mix of crispy with soft fatty bits and then I cook my eggs in some of the left over bacon fat. Only really have bacon with eggs or if whipping up a Carbonara.

Reaction Score
Restaurants must get higher quality bacon than we can get at the store because very often it is just better in flavor. Whole Foods sells some that’s pretty good but often I am disappointed with what is being sold in the grocery store.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Air fryer is by far best mrhod for cooking and easiest for clean up.

360 degrees and vary the time based on thickness and how well you like you bacon crisped.
Might work fine with one of those countertop Ninja things, but I wouldn't try it in a countertop oven with an air fryer setting.

Reaction Score
I'll always bite at a bacon thread. Pun intended.

I love the Sous vide. The benefits of Sous vide is that you and sous vide basically a whole package of bacon then take what you need to sear both sides and cook fast. You get the crispiness and if you have a nice thick piece of bacon you get some of the tenderness too. It's more work but if you have a big group for breakfast or a regimented bacon habit it is hard to beat. Also the bacon drippings from sous vide is different than bacon grease. Can be used for other things. MMMM bacon with other things.

Baking in oven on a rack is great. I've been just using my Tovala lately and it's been working well. Bacon is great in that even most bad bacon is good. Cooking on a little rack is nice for the drainage.

I'm a huge Cast Iron fan, especially of steaks. Bacon is great there too but is cooked in it's grease and can be a bit messy. But I'm messier than most.

Would like to see if people are brand loyal to any brands, although I know that varies by region. I usually just go with the higher quality stuff on sale. Costco does have good bacon to get in bulk.

We are almost there with the season! Thanks bacon for helping us pass some time on the Boneyard.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Restaurants must get higher quality bacon than we can get at the store because very often it is just better in flavor. Whole Foods sells some that’s pretty good but often I am disappointed with what is being sold in the grocery store.

For grocery store I go with Wright bacon. Their thick bacon is dm good.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Might work fine with one of those countertop Ninja things, but I wouldn't try it in a countertop oven with an air fryer setting.

That's what we have. A counter top Ninja. We are cooking for two most nights and it's much easier than the oven.

On a tangent, if you are cooking inside, the Ninja air fryer is best way to cook hot dogs. Perfect char and blister.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom