Back Pat | The Boneyard

Back Pat

Reaction Score
Perhaps you're missing the complete disaster of dementia that affects so many; my wife being one. I've never been a Pat fan but I certainly back the attention given to this terrible disease.
I am so very sorry for your situation. My "like" above is an expression of compassion and support for your candor and for Back Pat.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Perhaps you're missing the complete disaster of dementia that affects so many; my wife being one. I've never been a Pat fan but I certainly back the attention given to this terrible disease.
But I do agree with the OP - MLK day is a national day of remembrance on a separate subject. It seems a little strange to piggy-back another as you say very serious but completely different issue onto the same day.

Reaction Score
But not inappropriate. King himself was capacious enough to associate with all noble causes. And maybe it's a good thing that we can celebrate King without confining ourselves to him: just as we do Presidents' Day. And maybe the situation was somewhat unavoidable. It was the first time (and maybe the only time this year--though that may now change) that Tenn would be able to attract a national audience since Pat's death.

Reaction Score
My understanding is it is Back Pat Week. LVs happened to play on MLK day. I'm sure they wanted an attractive home game during this week and it fell on MLK day. I find it somewhat unfortunate. I don't know if they are thinking of having a week every year. If so, I hope they can avoid conflicts like this.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My understanding is it is Back Pat Week. LVs happened to play on MLK day. I'm sure they wanted an attractive home game during this week and it fell on MLK day. I find it somewhat unfortunate. I don't know if they are thinking of having a week every year. If so, I hope they can avoid conflicts like this.
I think it was due to the dedication of the Pat Summitt clinic at the University of Tennessee Medical Center over the weekend, and the game was the opportunity (according to what I read on ESPN) for a bunch of donors to come out on court and get recognized for some very large donations.

I also suspect that the game was scheduled on Monday because ESPN wanted it as part of their Big Monday series and their "We Back Pat" series, which continues through the next Big Monday. TV sometimes drives the bus.

Reaction Score
I was certainly not against BACK PAT . I just found it curious that MLK day would be used . Was hoping someone close to ESPN or WCBB, could shed some light on it.

Reaction Score
I believe that Dr MLK would have supported the Back Pat event and any other charitable activity on his day and all days. I have a hard time thinking that it was disrespectful of him in any way.

Reaction Score
  1. I was at the game. Yes, it was Tennessee's We Back Pat game--but this game was just one of 14 We Back Pat games happening this month at all of the SEC schools. The entire halftime was devoted to MLK Jr. and a celebration of diversity. A specially prepared video on the King years was shown on the Jumbotron followed by an impressive presentation of living Civil Rights icons from the community and the university. Some twenty pioneers were honored including Knoxville community leaders of the Movement, plus Lester McClain, our first black football player; Conridge Holloway, our first black quarterback; Trish Roberts, our first black womens' basketball player, plus early minority Olympians in track and other sports. Very impressive and very moving ceremony.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom