Back from the Sun Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Back from the Sun Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now, you guys got me thinking, about this UConn players/attendance thing. So I did some quick homework.
The table below, shows the year, avg attendance, the team's record, their final finish and the number of UConn players that suited up that year for the Sun (I say it that way because Svet was here short term, Turner also, and Swanier the same).

YEAR AVG ATT RECORD FINISH UCONN
2004 6635 18-16 Lost WNBA finals 2
2005 7156 26-8 Lost WNBA finals 2
2006 7417 26-8 Lost conf finals 2
2007 7970 18-16 Lost conf semis 2
2008 7644 21-13 Lost conf semis 5
2009 6794 16-18 No playoffs 2
2010 7486 17-17 No playoffs 3
2011 7056 21-13 Lost conf semis 5
2012 7266 25-9 Lost conf finals 5

Note the biggest attendance years were the biggest winning years, not the most populated UConn years per se.

Those early years, where the team consistently won, and drew high amounts, the only Huskies were Jones and Sales.

2008 had Jones and Charles, then role players like Raymond and Turner, but a lot of that team was Lindsay Whalen

2011 and 2012, the focal point was Charles, Jones and Montgomery, then Greene and Moore, as bench players.

So what was the draw? Winning or UConn players? Or was it the fact the UConn players were STARS, not role players, that led to a winning team.

My opinion is if you win, they will come. But it doesn't hurt if the primary reason you're winning is local flavor.

Reaction Score
Now, you guys got me thinking, about this UConn players/attendance thing. So I did some quick homework.
The table below, shows the year, avg attendance, the team's record, their final finish and the number of UConn players that suited up that year for the Sun (I say it that way because Svet was here short term, Turner also, and Swanier the same).

YEAR AVG ATT RECORD FINISH UCONN
2004 6635 18-16 Lost WNBA finals 2
2005 7156 26-8 Lost WNBA finals 2
2006 7417 26-8 Lost conf finals 2
2007 7970 18-16 Lost conf semis 2
2008 7644 21-13 Lost conf semis 5
2009 6794 16-18 No playoffs 2
2010 7486 17-17 No playoffs 3
2011 7056 21-13 Lost conf semis 5
2012 7266 25-9 Lost conf finals 5

Note the biggest attendance years were the biggest winning years, not the most populated UConn years per se.

Those early years, where the team consistently won, and drew high amounts, the only Huskies were Jones and Sales.

2008 had Jones and Charles, then role players like Raymond and Turner, but a lot of that team was Lindsay Whalen

2011 and 2012, the focal point was Charles, Jones and Montgomery, then Greene and Moore, as bench players.

So what was the draw? Winning or UConn players? Or was it the fact the UConn players were STARS, not role players, that led to a winning team.

My opinion is if you win, they will come. But it doesn't hurt if the primary reason you're winning is local flavor.
I think there's a lot of randomness in your stats. One of the higher attendance years you show is 2010, where they had a .500 record and missed the playoffs. One of the lowest is 2009, with very similar results. Possibly coincidentally, 2009 was the year of a huge economic downturn, following the financial meltdown of late 2008. Who knows. The stats are interesting, but I don't think you can conclude anything from them regarding reason for attendance. I do agree that more people will find the team interesting to follow when they win. I also think you will NEVER see "0" UCONN players for the SUN.

Reaction Score
I think there's a lot of randomness in your stats. One of the higher attendance years you show is 2010, where they had a .500 record and missed the playoffs. One of the lowest is 2009, with very similar results. Possibly coincidentally, 2009 was the year of a huge economic downturn, following the financial meltdown of late 2008. Who knows. The stats are interesting, but I don't think you can conclude anything from them regarding reason for attendance. I do agree that more people will find the team interesting to follow when they win. I also think you will NEVER see "0" UCONN players for the SUN.

No doubt, you are right, there are always "other factors" and if the numbers are even accurate (the WNBA, pad attendance? Horrors!).

While this year's draft proves they are looking win first, not just UConn players (they could have gone Hartley/Dolson instead of Thomas), I would say confidently that if it's close for a roster spot, the UConn player has to be beaten out convincingly to be cut from the roster.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
How many of you in this UConn player discussion are season ticket holders (people who vote with their hard earned cash, not with a post on a UConn fan board)? I'd be curious to know what the bias is among posters who actually keep the league alive with their $$$.

I am a long term season ticket holder and I can assure you that winning is the #1 factor in fan turnout. Beyond the $$$ it is tough to make all these game when there are so many competing activities in the summer. During those years when the team was a consistent winner it felt great to go to the arena after a long, hot day and watch the Sun take care of business.

I love seeing all the UConn alums play no matter what team they are on, of course, but I would trade Renee and Kelly in a heartbeat if it made the team better (and trust me, I love those kids, and appreciate everything they have done in CT).

psconn

Reaction Score
All I am going to say is that Tina was on the team and she was forced out.... granted she wanted to leave, but only after the coaching change. Kalana Gereen was cut from the team.

Kara Lawson who was not a UCONN player, but a fan favorite was traded to Washington and if I recall correctly there were comments made at the time about Kara was happy to be playing for Coach T and was not happy in CT with Donovan.

Renee and Kelly Faris are still on the team. Ashja Jones is out with injury again if I am not mistaken... but I could have sworn there was another UCONN player that was on the Sun recently.

And to go back to what someone else stated... the more UCONN players you have the more the fans will want to come and see the games and spend more money. Not a bad idea in certain places to get players who were from that area. I.E. UCONN players at the SUN, Stanford players in LA, Notre Dame and Purdue players in Indiana. Rutgers, St. John's, Penn State etc at NY... etc.

Tina was forced out????? That has to be the most off-the-wall statement I have every read here... and that is saying something. She was going home to NY no matter what... the coaching change may have upped the timetable by a year or so.

I would have cut Danielle before Kalana but neither was a big contributor (I think Kalana was a GREAT "locker room player" a personality and positive influence on the team). That decision would not be predicated on where they went to college.

Reaction Score
The main thing is no other WCBB program prepares their players for the next level better than UCONN! WNBA coaches have said they know when getting a player out of CT is they have great practice habits, know the game of basketball inside and out, and understand the importance of TEAM BB, not individualistic play!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The main thing is no other WCBB program prepares their players for the next level better than UCONN! WNBA coaches have said they know when getting a player out of CT is they have great practice habits, know the game of basketball inside and out, and understand the importance of TEAM BB, not individualistic play!
but unfortunately the W is about individual play to some extent.

Reaction Score
Tina was forced out????? That has to be the most off-the-wall statement I have every read here... and that is saying something. She was going home to NY no matter what... the coaching change may have upped the timetable by a year or so.

I would have cut Danielle before Kalana but neither was a big contributor (I think Kalana was a GREAT "locker room player" a personality and positive influence on the team). That decision would not be predicated on where they went to college.
There were reports written that Tina pretty much said she would not play at the SUN if she were not traded. That she did not want to be here and that there was bad blood between her and Donovan.. At least that is what was written in various reports and articles. But forget that. I made a personal comment of how I felt and everyone is chiming in on how the believe I am wrong. It is my opinion, I do not need to justify it, nor do I need you all to question it. I told Prince that I wanted Donovan gone and I do.... There is no need to defend Donovan.

I just like that Mike T picked up Kalana in Washington. I love seeing how Bill Lamber picked up Swin Cash and Charde Houston... Some coaches understand the value of a UCONN prepped player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
More important than having UCONN players on the team is not disrespecting players, especially, UCONN players because it can be tough to recover from what others (read that as fans) perceive as a negative climate and mistreatment of people they like.

Reaction Score
I do not think that if Mike T. was STILL coaching the Sun Tina C. would have asked for a trade to the NY Liberty no matter how much she missed NY! The combination of Mike T. getting fired and Tina not liking AD pushed the situation over the edge and Tina asked for the trade or else demand!

Reaction Score
I understand that there are fans/friends that like Anne Donovan as a coach and as a person, but at least 85+% (my guess) of the Sun fans do not want her to coach the CT Sun! So if you ARE pro-AD be prepared for the majority of posters here on THE BONEYARD to post anti-AD material!

psconn

Reaction Score
I do not think that if Mike T. was STILL coaching the Sun Tina C. would have asked for a trade to the NY Liberty no matter how much she missed NY! The combination of Mike T. getting fired and Tina not liking AD pushed the situation over the edge and Tina asked for the trade or else demand!

As I said... moved the timetable up a year or two. Very obvious and not worthy of further comment was the displeasure of Tina and Kara when Coach T got fired. To imagine that Tina was going to play out her summers in Uncasville as long as Coach T was here was just a beautiful CT fantasy IMO.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I would never attack Anne Donovan personally. I don't know her. She may be a very nice person away from the court.

But she is not a good basketball coach and her results with the Sun have proven that.

So... defend her as a person if you feel you need to. But you really can't defend her won/lost record with the Sun. The team is going nowhere fast. They are now tied with Seattle for the WORST record in the WNBA. They'll miss the playoffs AGAIN.

Of course, if you like getting top draft picks every year, she's your gal!

Reaction Score
I understand that there are fans/friends that like Anne Donovan as a coach and as a person, but at least 85+% (my guess) of the Sun fans do not want her to coach the CT Sun! So if you ARE pro-AD be prepared for the majority of posters here on THE BONEYARD to post anti-AD material!
It won't bother me one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak